Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of times I must have gotten too close to a car in front of me and the above kicked in. It scared me to death... very noisy with the brakes screeching like a banshee. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
149 Posts
You bet. It's called getting "eyesighted." It can happen at unexpected times. Recently happened to me on a stretch of road I often drive. Haven't had a problem since November. Now that it's late spring/early summer the trees have all their leaves. A branch had grown out in to the road slightly. I wasn't in any danger of hitting it, at all. It was still enough to trigger the anti-collision breaking system. Red flashing warning signs started going off and the ABS kicked in. I've learned to recognize when that's happening and power through it by pressing on the gas. The vehicle seems to have some smarts built in. While it does cut power slightly, it eventually gets the point that you know better and it is safe to proceed. I wish there were more information available regarding how it actually works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You bet. It's called getting "eyesighted." It can happen at unexpected times. Recently happened to me on a stretch of road I often drive. Haven't had a problem since November. Now that it's late spring/early summer the trees have all their leaves. A branch had grown out in to the road slightly. I wasn't in any danger of hitting it, at all. It was still enough to trigger the anti-collision breaking system. Red flashing warning signs started going off and the ABS kicked in. I've learned to recognize when that's happening and power through it by pressing on the gas. The vehicle seems to have some smarts built in. While it does cut power slightly, it eventually gets the point that you know better and it is safe to proceed. I wish there were more information available regarding how it actually works.
A couple of times I must have gotten too close to a car in front of me and the above kicked in. It scared me to death... very noisy with the brakes screeching like a banshee. Is this normal?
Had it happen to me two times when backing out of the driveway.....came to a screeching halt which avoided me hitting the large garbage can...yes I have a backup camera when I remember to look at it. I think I was distracted by my grandson in the car with me both times...at least that's my excuse. The point is the system works when backing up as well and it's loud!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,240 Posts
Had it happen to me two times when backing out of the driveway.....came to a screeching halt which avoided me hitting the large garbage can...yes I have a backup camera when I remember to look at it. I think I was distracted by my grandson in the car with me both times...at least that's my excuse. The point is the system works when backing up as well and it's loud!
The reverse cross traffic alert and reverse automatic braking are an additional package but the forward collision system is included in all trims I believe.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,874 Posts
Yes it is normal and I think better than the alternative of getting into a collision :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
45 Posts
first time my RAB system kicked in was because of my bike mount... I figured I could just ignore the beeping, but nope- banshee sounding braking as you described.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,099 Posts
I turn it off. I haven't rear ended someone in almost 30 years in busy LA driving 20-30k a year. I have been rear ended a few times but never my doing. This system kicks in on me constantly in LA traffic and really disrupts driving, never mind passengers I have get pretty unnerved. Kicks in when I am changing lanes behind a car, where I have to speed up a bit to go through the spaces to get across busy LA freeways, where you are always near cars cause freeways are filled, but you have to give it gas when doing this to not make the traffic in the next lane have to slow down as you enter the lane, but I guess it thinks I am gunning for the car in front of me in the new lane - so it kicks in, but I was never going to hit the car, not even close. Ive even had it kick in 2 times when nothing was in front of me for a split second on a 2 lane road where I was the only car. not sure why it kicked in. I even had to pull over once cause I was very confused what happened in the front of my car (where I saw nothing).

So, I just turn it off. Maybe 10-20 years these systems will be more refined for my taste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts