Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 14 OB about a month ago. I recently noticed that the battery in it has a CCA rating of 475 (I could be off, but I am sure that its in the upper 400's) with winter right around the corner, does anyone have any issues starting during really cold days? or cold days up in high altitude? Thanks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
many folks have reported poor battery lifespan/performance in new Subarus.

there are upgrades available, search the forum for discussions.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Better batteries exist than the factory one.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
It is not a "cold start" unless the car has been sitting outside in -10F all night. - LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in Fairbanks, AK

No problems starting down to about -10 after sitting all night. Below that I usually remember to plug in (oil pan, block heater, and battery tender) but have gotten my 2012 to turn over at -30F even after sitting all night unplugged. Definitely wasn't happy about it of course! Only issue I run in to when it's really cold is the clutch gets grabby as the fluid isn't very fluid at -30 and colder.

If you have any questions about your batteries health, get it checked and replace even if it's not completely dead. Better to spend the $100 on a new battery vs having to call for help.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
I was in Lake Louise, AB. Altitude of about 5700 ft.
I have a 2010, and have started it at -15 to -30 before, it struggled but it still turned over after sitting all night. I got a block heater installed and almost always plug it in now, gets as cold as -40 sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not a "cold start" unless the car has been sitting outside in -10F all night. - LOL
Yes, I fully understand and aware. Depending on where I am at in Colorado during the winter -10 or lower occurs from time to time over night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in Lake Louise, AB. Altitude of about 5700 ft.
I have a 2010, and have started it at -15 to -30 before, it struggled but it still turned over after sitting all night. I got a block heater installed and almost always plug it in now, gets as cold as -40 sometimes.
I can't imagine what -40 feels like!

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited 2.5im 2012 Impreza Limited
74 Posts
Had some minus 20 degree nights on the way though Idaho and Eastern Oregon last winter coming and going to Arizona in January. No plug ins, and original battery in my 2014. Cranked a little slower, but started just fine.

The 0w-20 synthetic is a big help in those situations. I let it warm up for a while before driving.

Anybody know the weight of the synthetic in the CVT? It seemed to handle the cold without any extra noise, but once again, I did let the engine warm up a while before taking off each time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't imagine what -40 feels like!
It dropped to -58F here this past winter. It's an experience lol!

A 0w-xx oil definitely helps with cold starts, as does running a synthetic.

My wife's Crosstrek did fine in the same weather with a CVT. No idea what the CVT's fluid's viscosity is, and if you're worried you could add a heater pad for the bottom of the CVT. Instead we installed an autostart and just started the car earlier before we left the house.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
I was in Edmonton for a few days, decades ago, and it was -30, -35 . It's kinda deceptive when there's no wind and the sun is out. After a coupla days I could NOT drink enough and my skin got powdery. There's no moisture in the air at those temps.

BTW , -40C = -40F

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
Had some minus 20 degree nights on the way though Idaho and Eastern Oregon last winter coming and going to Arizona in January. No plug ins, and original battery in my 2014. Cranked a little slower, but started just fine.

The 0w-20 synthetic is a big help in those situations. I let it warm up for a while before driving.

Anybody know the weight of the synthetic in the CVT? It seemed to handle the cold without any extra noise, but once again, I did let the engine warm up a while before taking off each time.
It dropped to -58F here this past winter. It's an experience lol!

A 0w-xx oil definitely helps with cold starts, as does running a synthetic.

My wife's Crosstrek did fine in the same weather with a CVT. No idea what the CVT's fluid's viscosity is, and if you're worried you could add a heater pad for the bottom of the CVT. Instead we installed an autostart and just started the car earlier before we left the house.
Absolutely! Stay with the recommended 0W-20, especially during the winter months. It makes a huge difference in how much energy is needed to crank over the engine.

My car is kept in an attached garage, and here in Northern Utah, we typically only see a few mornings each winter below -10. But my car always cranks over. My '13 still has it's 490 cca factory battery. I do put it on a smart charger at every oil change, to desulfate and bring it up to a 100% charge.

So far, 4 winters and absolutely no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts