Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got a Comma Two and have had it installed in my 2020 outback recently hoping that the current developments thus far would be compatible with it.

Every other Subaru Global Platform (Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester/Ascent) car has been compatible with OpenPilot with a forked version of openpilot made by MartinL.

The Global outback isn't a fully supported yet but this thread will serve as a WIP log for future developments.

Previously, its been stated that the 2020+ outback specifically had required some pins on the comma harness to be swapped, however recent rumors have stated that this may not be the case.

Current state as of Jan 9 2021: Outback support within Martin's Fork (martinl/openpilot) has not been added yet. In the official Comma.ai discord groups, another person and I have comma twos installed on 2020+ outbacks.
MartinL(mlp) has been on break since November and not been able to develop more for subaru.

If anyone has any experience or interest in adding openpilot support to the global outback, you are welcome in the comma.ai #subaru chat room.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,614 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I just got a Comma Two and have had it installed in my 2020 outback recently hoping that the current developments thus far would be compatible with it.

Every other Subaru Global Platform (Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester/Ascent) car has been compatible with OpenPilot with a forked version of openpilot made by MartinL.

The Global outback isn't a fully supported yet but this thread will serve as a WIP log for future developments.

Previously, its been stated that the 2020+ outback specifically had required some pins on the comma harness to be swapped, however recent rumors have stated that this may not be the case.

Current state as of Jan 9 2021: Outback support within Martin's Fork (martinl/openpilot) has not been added yet. In the official Comma.ai discord groups, another person and I have comma twos installed on 2020+ outbacks.
MartinL(mlp) has been on break since November and not been able to develop more for subaru.

If anyone has any experience or interest in adding openpilot support to the global outback, you are welcome in the comma.ai #subaru chat room.

Fancy seeing you here! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Curious if this would be compatible with my 2019 with eyesight. If you can post photos of your install I can try and compare with what I have. I'm not sure what the changes to the global platform entailed. I know there was some body work to make things a bit stiffer, and obviously the engine changes. I'm hoping the eyesight implementation is mostly the same aside from some software updates for lane centering.

edit - Actually I see a PR noting pre global support for the outback. Nice!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The 2019 does not have lane centering, so I do not think that this would be compatible in the way that you were probably hoping that it be

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would think lane centering on the 2020+ is a software related feature add.. though maybe the mechanical interface / sensitivity of the steering interface has been adjusted in a physical way on the 2020+.

Thanks for the link to the video Brucey.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
725 Posts
I must be old. WHY would you pay/want for this? I see so many posts about the intrusiveness of all the aids to driving here and then we go the other way. Live and let live, enjoy, just don t run into me, LOL.
The guy in the above vid looks like his hands are ready to pounce all over the wheel when the car does what he doesn't expect.
Don t flame me but I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must be old. WHY would you pay/want for this? I see so many posts about the intrusiveness of all the aids to driving here and then we go the other way. Live and let live, enjoy, just don t run into me, LOL.
In 2019 I took a trip out west with my wife. We rented a Volvo XC90 and did a loop from Salt lake city up through yellowstone, up to glacier, down through idaho and back to salt lake city.

Autopilot in the Volvo sold me. I don't let the car drive for me, but I learn to feel the way the car drives through the steering wheel and I manage the system. Volvo cries at you if you're not providing steering input every 30 seconds so it forces you to stay engaged. This allows for more relaxed road trips, lighter steering input which reduces fatigue, snacking while driving among many other things.

I'd never want a car to drive itself, but I'd like something that provides a bit more assistance than the LKA does... LKA on the outback is more of an "oh ****" bandaid than the autopilot in the volvo, which provided constant feedback through the steering wheel which I enjoyed while actively driving the car. Proactive vs reactive.

Owning a volvo is out of the question--I target a 10 year + ownership of my vehicles.

But you're right--to each his own. I don't see this stuff ever usurping manual operation of vehicles.. at least here in the northeast.. but it's a great aid and I'm looking to get something that gets a bit closer to that volvo experience without owning a car that needs to see the shop 3-5 times a year or with the costs associated with these premium brands.

·
Registered
2023 Outback buyer...? Current VW wagon
22 Posts
In 2019 I took a trip out west with my wife. We rented a Volvo XC90 and did a loop from Salt lake city up through yellowstone, up to glacier, down through idaho and back to salt lake city.

Autopilot in the Volvo sold me. I don't let the car drive for me, but I learn to feel the way the car drives through the steering wheel and I manage the system. Volvo cries at you if you're not providing steering input every 30 seconds so it forces you to stay engaged. This allows for more relaxed road trips, lighter steering input which reduces fatigue, snacking while driving among many other things.

I'd never want a car to drive itself, but I'd like something that provides a bit more assistance than the LKA does... LKA on the outback is more of an "oh ****" bandaid than the autopilot in the volvo, which provided constant feedback through the steering wheel which I enjoyed while actively driving the car. Proactive vs reactive.

Owning a volvo is out of the question--I target a 10 year + ownership of my vehicles.

But you're right--to each his own. I don't see this stuff ever usurping manual operation of vehicles.. at least here in the northeast.. but it's a great aid and I'm looking to get something that gets a bit closer to that volvo experience without owning a car that needs to see the shop 3-5 times a year or with the costs associated with these premium brands.
It is one thing to purchase a car with this type of feature. It is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING to try and "hack" your vehicle to be semi-self-driving. The liability you open up is insane.

I'm all for help on long highway drives and love the features of new vehicles that do this. I also don't mind modifying a car to better suit your wants/needs. But THIS?!?

If you are in any sort of accident and it comes out that you installed this - good luck. You don't even have to be "using" the system when the accident occurred. Just the fact that you installed something that is designed to "self-drive" - you will be liable big time, and rightly so.

·
Registered
2023 Outback buyer...? Current VW wagon
22 Posts
History
comma.ai was founded in September 2015 by George Hotz.[3] The first version of openpilot was revealed a few months later in a Bloomberg article, showing functionality on a 2016 Acura ILX.[4] The video and article instigated a cease and desist letter from the California Department of Motor Vehicles, claiming comma.ai was testing a self driving car without a license.

openpilot was packaged into a small, shippable device called the "comma one", announced at TechCrunch Disrupt.[5] On October 27, 2016, NHTSA issued a Special Order to comma.ai demanding detailed information about the comma one, to determine if the device complies with legally required Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.[6] comma.ai responded in a tweet from Shenzhen, China, announcing the cancellation of the comma one.[7]

comma.ai open-sourced openpilot a month later, on November 30, 2016, emphasizing its intended use for research, without any warranty.[8][9]

On January 7, 2020, comma.ai introduced the $999 "comma two" device at CES in Las Vegas.[10][11][12]

Instead, he embarked on a regulatory workaround: this current path of selling just the hardware and open-sourcing the code behind it, meaning it is available for free. He says often, “We are not selling a consumer product.”

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,614 Posts
Consumer reports had something interesting to say:

Editor's Note: Consumer Reports also tested an aftermarket system called Comma Two, which is manufactured by Comma.ai. Installed on a Toyota Corolla test car, the system outperformed, in most respects, ones that already come on cars, and it set new standards for the industry. But because CR does not recommend these types of modifications for consumer vehicles, the system is not included in our rankings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, regarding liability and insurance--couple years old here, but it looks like there is record of insurance companies having no problem with this. One poster made the argument that it's no different than installing a lift kit, etc on a truck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfDrivingCars/comments/b13cdp
YMMV and better to contact your insurance provider directly, etc. But not all doom and gloom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts