Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For data points, the car in question, 2011 Outback 2.5 CVT with 50k. Right off the bat:
1) improved acceleration
2) better mpg(still going up)
3) runs much smoother then before
4) quicker starts
For those looking to do this DIY:
1) get the special factory disconnect tool (forget pt#,Made by Kent Moore tools, away from my desk)
2) location: under rear seat cushion on passenger side of the auto
3) have the tank down to a 1/4 full.
4) disconnect the battery before you attempt this (IE no spark)
5) unhook all the plastic harness tabs before removing the metal access plate
6) Caveat: Follow all the factory procedures for this repair as stated by Subaru Corporation, as this is just an addendum of what was done.

The car was showing signs(fuel starvation, scavenge issues, detonation quality, etc...) at 30k of the pump going south. What a dreadful design. Having said that, pretty easy to change out. Hope this helps someone.
Regards

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
Just out of curiosity - do you frequently run the tank as low as possible before filling it? I have nearly 75,000 miles on my 2011 and don't have issues, my brother has well over 100,000 on one with no fuel pump issues either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of curiosity - do you frequently run the tank as low as possible before filling it? I have nearly 75,000 miles on my 2011 and don't have issues, my brother has well over 100,000 on one with no fuel pump issues either.
Never let it go below a 1/4, most of the time it's filled up at 1/3 or 1/2. We're exceedingly careful about not letting the tank get low. Maybe your refinery near you does a better job of filtering. I should have taken a pic of the old filter screen at the base of the pump, completely clogged with debris(dark gray in color). Do you have ethanol in your gas where you are?
Regards

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
Ethanol? OF COURSE, lol. My state (NY) follows CA emissions requirements and also has a change to "winter blend". I believe there's at least 10% ethanol in our fuel.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
981 Posts
Sorry to wake up an old thread but I specifically wanted the OP's response to this... How did you clear the metal flange? See the first post in this thread for a description of the issue: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/371034-fuel-pump-filter-removal.html (you can ignore my response there with the FSM quote as it doesn't explain how you'd actually clear the flange).

I attempted this yesterday and no matter how much I wiggled things around the plate didn't seem to want to clear. The gap between the tank and the body seemed to be too narrow especially since the 8 studs that those little nuts go on are pretty tall. Short of lowering the fuel tank I don't see how to clear it. Did I simply not spend enough time trying to wiggle things around?

I've watched a few youtube videos of Subaru fuel pump removals and while some seem identical to our fuel pumps (there's one for a 2010 Impreza) they don't seem to have the access issue that I found in my Outback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts