Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried this tool to remove the crank pulley? I have an 08 Outback and 09 Forrester. Both will been timing belts soon, thinking the $50 will be worth the investment.

Do you need a special tool to turn the crank after the pulley is off? or can you thread the bolt back in, and turn using a socket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPANY23-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6dd85535&vxp=mtr

Im not affiliated at all with the seller.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I wouldn't, but you might. There are plenty of shade tree mechanic ways to get to loose without this tool. But it's up to you. You can resell after your done to recoup.

I used 2 3/8 ratchet extensions in the holes and a pry bar to hold mine while I loosened it.

You can just put the bolt back in and turn it with a socket as you guessed.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they usually come off easily? Seems like from posts here, they are very hard to loosen, but I'm guessing you only hear about the horror stories.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Mine came off reasonably easily. I had the 'starter bump' trick as a backup, as I had done that before on a Ford, but I didn't need to. 3' pry bar on the extensions handled it fine. There are so many different ways to get it off, one is bound to work. Manuals - put it in gear, AT use the access hole to the flywheel. These are the 'normal' methods. Then there is the chain wrench way, or starter bump.

Reactions: Montreal
1 - 4 of 4 Posts