Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Venetian Red)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which are the main competitors to the Outback?

My two top priorities is comfort and cargo space. I have other priorities, but these two are by far the most important.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I recomend New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com.

Rav4, Kia Sorento, Chevy Equinox were on my short list. For me the Outback beat them all in the 4 cylinder dept. 6 cylinder is another matter for me.

Imo Toyota, Chevy and Honda's AWD/4x4 for this market is not very good. Kia Sorento was the only real contender for me. In the end the simplicity of the Subaru design won me over since I do all my own maintenance and repair.

The Sorento is similar price, similar comfort, but is a bit larger and in my opinion has a very comparable AWD system. It is more of a maintenance nightmare for me though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You give priorities, and that is good. We were impressed by both the comfort and the cargo space when we drove a new Outback (an SAP trim with the 2.5 engine). But from the standpoint of sheer space, it wouldn't be hard to find a whole lot of crossovers or small SUVs that would beat the Outback. A BMW X3, and an Audi Q model would, I suspect, beat the Outback in both criteria....but I suspect that price is a consideration, too.

We are in a position of having to give up SAAB after 40 years and so the number of contenders is pretty small. Also, fuel efficiency is a high priority with us, which makes it really difficult.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Which are the main competitors to the Outback?

My two top priorities is comfort and cargo space. I have other priorities, but these two are by far the most important.
Ford Edge.

I wouldn't consider the Q or the X as competitors to the Outback, honestly.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Actually the Forester is a good comparison along with the RAV. I looked at all the other contenders to include the X-3 the X-1 VW TDI wagon and after driving all of them the Outback was for me. I wanted Eye Sight but if you don't need that option, don't need the fantastic AWD which I tested both in super soft and over 8" deep them the others are very capable too.
Your requirements were a lot of space and comfort.
The RAV has both, the VW has both the new X-3 has both. The Forester is great but not as quiet.

Honestly I am very impressed how quiet the Outback is. It is much quieter than I expected on all roads.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
A fwd Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda C-7, Ford Edge FWD, Explorer FWD would all work if you need the CUV/SUV size without the AWD not sure if your going to beat subie on mpg by much even if you give up the part time AWD in those other marks.

Guess it comes down to $. Value - get a Kia or a Hyundai.

Subie has the AWD.

If that is not important get a Prius V. Lots of space in those considering the mileage. Get a hitch container for the trips.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
If that is not important get a Prius V. Lots of space in those considering the mileage. Get a hitch container for the trips.
A good friend just got that car so I have had more time with it than just our car shopping when we got the Outback.

The rear wheel wells seemed to be much more intrusive. The dash board with instruments in the center is an a$$ clown's masterpiece. Sunroof doesn't open, and even premium trim has a vinyl interior that seems cheap compared to the Outback. The "Five" trim model doesn't seem as nice as Subaru's Limited trim.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Subaru themselves consider the Toyota Venza as the direct competitor to the Outback.

Every, single person who gets in my car is amazed at how much room there is in the back seat. And the overall cargo capacity. When I show them pictures of the Outback loaded with 8 dining room chairs (7 in boxes) they are even more amazed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Venetian Red)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome replies so far guys, thanks for the help.

When it comes to cargo space, my specific requirement is for the boot/trunk area to be at least 38" deep. The Subaru is 40" deep. It's pretty hard to find anything else that's at least 38" deep. And no, I can't use a hitch container (though that's a great idea).

The top of the Outback is max when it comes to price range so keep that in mind. Here are some more priorities.
- Reliability.
- Fuel economy.
- AWD.

It seems the Edge can also be considered. don't know how reliable it'll turn out to be though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
AWD is not Toyota's strong point just like with Honda. I'm not sure how they've updated Ford's AWD system but I don't keep up on American brand AWD systems unless they try to compete with Subaru officially.

From what I heard the 2012 Honda CR-V AWD system has been "updated", not upgraded, so I'm curious how the AWD does now under load. Toyota hasn't cared much and, unfortunately, they're the only ones who offer the Sienna, a minivan, with AWD.

I keep trying to post this but a lot of newbies don't see it until they make a post. It's on the Subaru website too but Subaru doesn't seem to want to pick a fight with AWD against Toyota or Ford (yet).

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
It seems the Edge can also be considered. don't know how reliable it'll turn out to be though.
That's why I passed on it. That and it is near impossible to find an AWD model.

I was looking at the 6 cyl engine on the Edge. Those ecoboost engines, while Ford has tested the ever living crap out of the things, just seem to me like they're working too hard for what they're trying to carry.

The technology is snazzy. But I've done enough research to find out if you get a bad Sync system, your life is going to be miserable. Get a good one and you'll be set.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
The wife has the V6 Rav and for all the bad press Toyota gets the car has been flawless.
It's a 09 and it and has a ton of snort, is roomy, and the mpg is decent for a V6.
It would be the only other car in this segment I would get.
That being said, I prefer my Outback for what I need. It is by far more comfortable for my 6'1" length and the mileage is better.
As far as the claims about the AWD being better, yeah, maybe. I don't really believe those video claims. They tend to be pretty slanted. Never had a problem in the snow with the RAV and we don't go off road so I find it more than adequate.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
As far as the claims about the AWD being better, yeah, maybe. I don't really believe those video claims. They tend to be pretty slanted. Never had a problem in the snow with the RAV and we don't go off road so I find it more than adequate.
As former river guide, current trail builder and current ski area director I've seen a lot of the real world "pretty slanted" and that's what first put a Subaru in my sights.

I can reply with some specifics but trust me that real 4x4s with posi or lockers and Subarus geneally have the edge over most 4x4 and AWD products. That does not mean the others aren't a great aid for a lot of driving.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A good friend just got that car so I have had more time with it than just our car shopping when we got the Outback.

The rear wheel wells seemed to be much more intrusive. The dash board with instruments in the center is an a$$ clown's masterpiece. Sunroof doesn't open, and even premium trim has a vinyl interior that seems cheap compared to the Outback. The "Five" trim model doesn't seem as nice as Subaru's Limited trim.
I guess i didn't take into account the need for quality interior. I agree the Prii plastics are el Cheapo and the spaceship/mini-van dash cluster is not too refined. It is cheapo looking, but high tech compared to the OB. But its drive by wire and mpg vs awd and real stearing etc.

Obviously the Prii wouldn't make a good direct comparo with the OB.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
While discussion about competitor models is good, the main detractor about them is the "belly button factor", everyone has one.
I like to think of myself as following the beat to a different drummer. I love the quirkiness, uniqueness and the statement Subaru makes to others about myself. Ithink of myself as a bit of an oddball, in a good way. The OB feeds my personality.

·
Registered
781 Posts
AWD is not Toyota's strong point just like with Honda. I'm not sure how they've updated Ford's AWD system but I don't keep up on American brand AWD systems unless they try to compete with Subaru officially.

From what I heard the 2012 Honda CR-V AWD system has been "updated", not upgraded, so I'm curious how the AWD does now under load. Toyota hasn't cared much and, unfortunately, they're the only ones who offer the Sienna, a minivan, with AWD.

I keep trying to post this but a lot of newbies don't see it until they make a post. It's on the Subaru website too but Subaru doesn't seem to want to pick a fight with AWD against Toyota or Ford (yet).

Distribution of Power - YouTube

Why I got the Subie. Looking for a solid AWD, price, and competetive MPG. Not the part time system that can be an issue in nasty snow and wet unpaved. I wanted to stear clear of that AWD, but the OP doesn't have AWD perfomance as a top priority. Imagine a RAV4 V6 loaded might fill the bill.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
Besides sixe and AWD one of our criteria was that it can be towed behind a MH that has a hitch rating of 5000 lbs.

We looked at the Chevy Equinox/GMC vehicles, Honda CRV, Ford , and Jeep.

We decided for the Outback because of our good experience with our previous Outback (2003 ), and the fact that we got the most car for the money.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
I've never been thrilled with the AWD systems that need to slip before engaging the rear wheels. Subaru powers all wheels all the time... Which makes me laugh when a lot of their competitors use terms like "full time AWD."

We needed space, too... We need two car seats (one infant and one toddler right now), and room for their stuff (and mine). I also needed something that could tow our camper and cargo trailer (although nearly any car could do that, honestly).

The Subaru has proven to be a good choice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The wife has the V6 Rav and for all the bad press Toyota gets the car has been flawless.
It's a 09 and it and has a ton of snort, is roomy, and the mpg is decent for a V6.
It would be the only other car in this segment I would get.
That being said, I prefer my Outback for what I need. It is by far more comfortable for my 6'1" length and the mileage is better.
You're welcome to believe whatever you want but it doesn't change the facts. That video is on the Subaru's official U.S. website. If they're making false claims, I'm pretty sure Toyota, Ford, Nissan, and Honda would be bashing on Subaru trying to state otherwise but they're not.

The third generation RAV4 4WD isn't capable of transferring enough power to the rear wheels in those situations and that's that.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
We looked at a Highlander, CR-V and Pilot. Wife didn't like the RAV-4, and I agree the interior is kind of dated. Ultimately we didn't need to extra space of the Pilot and Highlander, and thought the Subaru felt of better quality than all 3. The Highlander in particular felt cheap from the details in the cabin to the hollow "thunk" of the door being closed. The Pilot's VCM issues I read about (shuddering) turned me off, as well as Honda's somewhat disappointing reputation with automatic transmissions and V6s.

With the exception of SH-AWD and Quattro, I'm not if any of the competitors AWD systems can come close to Subaru's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts