Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing the BC BR coilover set to stiffen things up and get rid of sag and dive. For anyone that has done this, are there other components that I will need to install this kit onto a stock car with high mileage? Are there any other components that I need to order to install that they don't mention? Is there anything I should replace while doing this on a high mileage vehicle?

BC Racing Suspension - BR Coilovers - Subaru Outback 2002-Up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ordered anything yet. I thought I'd get info before doing anything stupid. The F-07's are supposed to be outback specific, as opposed to the F-05 which I believe are Legacy.

·
Registered
07 limited OB XT
80 Posts
I would avoid coilovers unless you want that stance look. They are terrible setups for daily driving.

Any coilover that comes close to quality is $1600+

I would recommend you ride in someones car with this coilover setup before buying it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you plan on lowering the car (out of the box the BC's lower the car like 2 inches). You need to get the shorter bump stops for the rear.

Subaru Part Number 20501AE00A (I think they are like $30-$50)

The BCs can be adjusted up to stock height if you want that though, and if you did that no other parts needed.

I have the BC on my outback, and they ride very good. Not harsh at all. They have like 32 clicks of dampening adjustment, so I keep them almost fully soft for street driving. Gives a good sporty feel.

You'll also need an alignment after you put them on.

There is a post that shows the before and after of my car.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3267450&postcount=36

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT
14 Posts
BC Coilovers

First of all I want to thank dschultz, Duffman, OB2.5XT, Sublimejoe, Scoobyscoodle and all the other people who posted information regarding the lowering of an Outback. I purchased my 2007 OBXT a year ago and I have spent the last year reading all the post from how to install them to which system was better. Well after all my research I decided to buy the BC Coilovers with the 1” longer housing because the final cost was less than any of the other solutions. I have had them on for about a month.

My daily commute is from an urban area to a suburban to a rural, over mostly two lane roads. I live in Hartford, Connecticut; the roads are a mix bag of typical city pot holed roads with some new asphalt to suburban patched rolling rough textured surface to rural rolling mixed surface roadways. With expansion joints, roller coaster type hills to a mountain whose road is a fast moving hill climb with sweeping left and right turns over new and old asphalt. The speed is from 30 MPH to as much as 60 depending on the time of day. I had a local mechanic install them for me, he was great and it took them about 2 hours. He just installed them right out of the box; I checked that the coilovers were set to the same length for each pair. I purchased them from Image Import Racing because of all the positive feedback that I read on this forum, and they delivered.

My driving style is spirited to plan out scary fast, so when I purchased the OBXT it was a compromise because I had been looking at an Audi Allroad and a S4 wagon but the higher mileage and repair cost did not make sense. My first purchase for the OBXT was new Rallitek front and rear sway bars, end links and AVO Rear Bracket Reinforcement which help with making the OBXT handle better. I then upgraded the brakes and rotors to legacy calipers and larger size rotors which helped in the braking department.

I will have to say, putting the BC Coilovers on has dramatically changed the way the OBXT handles. It is flatter, quicker and more predictable when driving. I am running 225/55/17 tires. The ride quality is stiffer, but not bone chilling, more like what one would expect from a sport sedan. I followed Scoobyscoodle’s recommendation for the setting on the Coilovers and they worked well for my driving situation. The height is 15” all around and then I got a wheel alignment(used TSB attached). When you come around a sweeping right hand turn that is also going uphill at a fast pace the OBXT sticks to the road and follows the line, no more body sway and the rear end is more planted. High speed quick lane changes are uneventful. The coilovers react well to road surface changes, like roller coaster bumps, the tires feel planted. On some potholes you can definitely feel the jar, but you would if you were driving a BMW or Audi. I feel comfortable pushing the OBXT faster through turns and quick maneuvers don’t upset the OBXT.

The BC coilovers are IMO worth the investment, they went on easy and they ride great. They make the OBXT drive more like a sport sedan than a wallowing wagon.

And again thank you to all the people who posted about their experiences and knowledge about lowering the Outback.

Nelson

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, some interesting experiences, opinions, and advice.

I'm not necessarily interested in lowering the car or giving it a different stance. I would just like it not to dive on braking, lean back on acceleration, or sag with a lot of weight in the rear. Those are my primary concerns. The goal is roughly the same height, but without the roll, dive, lean, sag. If the ride is rougher, I'm OK with that, within reason. If I could double up the springs on each wheel, I'd probably like that.
I probably wouldn't mind just having stiff leaf springs on the Outback like my old Dodge Cummins had with its additional stiffening leaf springs and various modifications. That thing rode rough, but it had 14 inches of clearance at the lowest point (from lowest point on the differentials) and had no roll, dive, lean, or sag unless it had a full ton of cinder blocks in the bed. Unfortunately, those aren't so great for handling on bumps.

In any case, I don't think I'm willing to constantly recalibrate, rebuild, or service the suspension if the coilovers require that. I'd like to "set it and forget it" for at least a few years.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
defiantly taking notes on this, let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
07 limited OB XT
80 Posts
If your worried about the roll, your best investment would be new sways and endlinks. That will solve 80% of your problems. Nothing will feel as smooth as the stock shocks and struts.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
665 Posts
05xt with BC coilovers here. Couldn't be happier. No harshness, no negative ride impacts.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
665 Posts
05xT BC coilovers 1" lower than stock

Some photos with coil overs corner balanced (approx. 1" lower at each corner).

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i SE 5MT
87 Posts
How frequently do the BC coil overs need to be serviced / cartridges replaced? Does anyone have more than 40k miles on them?

How is the front camber adjustment when you go to stock Outback ride height? Is it possible to get neutral camber?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts