Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Completely irrational worry about my brand new 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT I wanna bring up quick. Couldn't find anything on the internet quickly. Can factory resetting the multimedia display while the car is running damage the car in anyway? I don't see how it could, and if it could I don't see why subaru wouldn't make a protection against doing that. But I have irrational fears that I did something to damage the car because I'm a new car owner and haven't bought or had a new car ever, last car was a 2004 Suzuki XL that was my high school car bought used and already several years old.

I did a factory reset trying to fix my android auto connection issues while stopped at a stop light. The engine shut off, which I think was coincidence because it shuts off when stopped, not because of factory resetting display, but now I double guess myself if the engine all of a sudden sounds louder or rumbles more, or if that whirring noise that popped up is because of doing that, even though it seems linked to a transmission issue cited on another thread I found on this website.

Thanks for the therapy (hopefully) for my irrational fear. Hope to confirm I didn't do anything wrong to mess up car.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I did a factory reset trying to fix my android auto connection issues while stopped at a stop light. The engine shut off, which I think was coincidence because it shuts off when stopped, not because of factory resetting display, but now I double guess myself if the engine all of a sudden sounds louder or rumbles more, or if that whirring noise that popped up is because of doing that, even though it seems linked to a transmission issue cited on another thread I found on this website.

Thanks for the therapy (hopefully) for my irrational fear. Hope to confirm I didn't do anything wrong to mess up car.
Your car is fine - what you did isn't going to affect the operation of the engine. Perceptions are weird like that. I totally understand when you do X and you notice Y, your mind tries to link them if possible. When a car is brand new, there's a certain sensory overload as you're getting used to all-new surroundings, but as you become accustomed to it, you begin to notice things that had been earlier masked by having your attention focused elsewhere.

After doing the reset you were hyper-aware.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts