Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Researching a new vehicle and the Outback is looking pretty sweet :)

My concern is this -- I currently drive an '01 Civic. 2001 was the first year for the 7th generation Civic, and I have had all kinds of problems. Had to replace the transmission at 60k, and the engine has crapped out on me a few times for some not so trivial repairs. These problems seem common for the '01s and were fixed for subsequent years. Still, the issues were not high profile enough to warrant a recall and I footed the bill.

I worry I'm getting myself into the same situation with the 2013 Outback. New tweaked CVT transmission, and an engine that has never been used in this model before. I am not familiar with Subaru so it is hard for me to cast judgement... anyone else have an opinion on first year Subies with regards to higher than normal maintenance?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The engine has been used in the Forester since the '11 model.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Hey all! Researching a new vehicle and the Outback is looking pretty sweet :)

My concern is this -- I currently drive an '01 Civic. 2001 was the first year for the 7th generation Civic, and I have had all kinds of problems. Had to replace the transmission at 60k, and the engine has crapped out on me a few times for some not so trivial repairs. These problems seem common for the '01s and were fixed for subsequent years. Still, the issues were not high profile enough to warrant a recall and I footed the bill.

I worry I'm getting myself into the same situation with the 2013 Outback. New tweaked CVT transmission, and an engine that has never been used in this model before. I am not familiar with Subaru so it is hard for me to cast judgement... anyone else have an opinion on first year Subies with regards to higher than normal maintenance?
the fb25 is new for the ob, but it's been in the forester a few yrs. nothing like the history of the ej25-which is virtually bulletproof other than the past hg issues. afa the "revised" cvt i'm betting on maybe some software tweaks rather than hardware, but i could be wrong. i guess my point is now in it's 4th production year i think the ob is a safe bet. on a unrelated note about the civic you could have a 06-08 and some early 09 where the blocks have cracked do to inferior block castings. i have a 09 civic so far so good knock on wood.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
the fb25 is new for the ob, but it's been in the forester a few yrs. nothing like the history of the ej25-which is virtually bulletproof other than the past hg issues. afa the "revised" cvt i'm betting on maybe some software tweaks rather than hardware, but i could be wrong.
I'd bet on a bit of both. My understanding is that the second gen CVT is a bit lighter, and less noise is likely from mechanical changes as well. The responsiveness could be as much software as hardware, it depends.

But it is a revised version of what they already make, rather than a redesigned beast... And already in the 2012 Impreza.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
The CVT is also very close to the one in the 2012 Impreza. I have that vehicle which I'll be trading for the 2013 OB and this CVT is so much better than the 1st gen in the OB. I've got 3,100 miles on my Impreza and had no issues whatsoever with the CVT. On the Impreza forum I haven't seen any issues either.

As others have pointed out, the FB has been in the Forester since 2011. My friend has a 2011 with about 8k miles and hasn't had any issues either.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I worry I'm getting myself into the same situation with the 2013 Outback. New tweaked CVT transmission, and an engine that has never been used in this model before. I am not familiar with Subaru so it is hard for me to cast judgement... anyone else have an opinion on first year Subies with regards to higher than normal maintenance?[/QUOTE]

SubaruForester.org

see the engine subforum for the fb25, tho that's with the old 4 speed trans. fb25 has some big plusses in timing chain, spark plug, oil filter access, and probably better mpg

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I think there needs to be a little bit of clarification made here. Sure, I'd be concerned if the FB engine was a totally new engine, but alas, it is not, it's just new to the OB, and as others have already mentioned it's been used in the Forester previously. There is a difference between a brand new, redesigned engine that is making it's debut in a newly redesigned car, and a previously established engine that is being used in a different model, which is the case here. As far as I have heard, the FB is solid and no issues with it in the Foresters, so the guinea pigs essentially were the Forester owners, and they have proven that it's fine. I personally wouldn't worry about the CVT, either. I have a '12 OB 2.5i CVT, and if I saw reason to (which I don't at this point) I'd have no problem trading it in with full confidence for a '13 OB. The 2013 OB is not a totally redesigned gar. It's still a Gen4. I'd be more concerned about working out the bugs for the new technology that's in it's first year regading the isight over worrying about the FB engine or CVT. I personally don't think it's worth it to shell out the loot for the 2013 unless you absolutely have to have the isight feature. The improvements in mileage and performance in the FB engine are negligible, and I sincerely doubt that anyone would be able to even notice the apparent added HP between the two engines. Sure the timing belt vs. chain could be a major selling point for some, but that isn't a concern to around 100,000 miles, and you can EASILY get a great deal on a 2012 right now, and the savings you;d get on the 2012 would EASILY justly, and pay for and then some, the cost of having to replace the timing belt when it comes the to do so (that is if you still own the car at that time).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure the timing belt vs. chain could be a major selling point for some, but that isn't a concern to around 100,000 miles, and you can EASILY get a great deal on a 2012 right now, and the savings you;d get on the 2012 would EASILY justly, and pay for and then some, the cost of having to replace the timing belt when it comes the to do so (that is if you still own the car at that time).

What do you consider "great deals" on remaining 2012s? In the past week I have been offered a new 2013 for $2K off MSRP while only being offered a tad more off for a 2012 OB. For that little difference I'm def looking at the 2013.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What do you consider "great deals" on remaining 2012s? In the past week I have been offered a new 2013 for $2K off MSRP while only being offered a tad more off for a 2012 OB. For that little difference I'm def looking at the 2013.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. Just bought 2013 for 2% below invoice. 2012 was $500 less. According to edmunds.com 2011 vs 2012 with same options, mileage, etc $800-1000 difference.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited
92 Posts
Well you could get a great deal on a '12, but I'm not sure how big the price difference would be though, might be better off getting whats available now for only $2K more. Before getting my '12, I had a looked at a 3yo OB and that was only $4K less, not a big difference....I'm guessing its the resale value. Also, this is a '13 and not say a completely redesigned Gen 5 2015 so you shouldn't have to worry about any "new" kinks. Good luck!

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
In 2001 Honda really kind of took a left turn with their compact engines, abandoning the B and D series engines in favor of a totally new K series engine/trans. I'm pretty sure they also switched out the f/r double wishbone suspension in favor of a front macpherson strut setup.

The civics got kind of girly that year, not that there's anything wrong with girly stuff. I just don't like my cars that way.

G

·
Many problems with '13 CVTs, the constant adjustments of the CVT causes some long term engine knocking around 20k miles. The only CVT repair a subaru dealership can preform is REPLACEMENT, which they are unwilling to do. I would wait to see if Subaru issues a recall on '13 CVTs. Why do you think they put a chain driven timer???? with a Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)??? Wouldn't the perpetual adjustments of the transmission put a strain on the engine???? Thus resulting in a belt driven timer slipping??? I would have to punt on a CVT and wait for some longer term evidence of reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts