Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. About to take delivery of a '13 Premium with all weather on Saturday. Orginally, I was going with a Deep Indigo '12 because I loved the color combo with the Warm Ivory interior. However, after reading about all the improvements with the '13 and the steering and suspension concerns with the '10 to '12 OB's, I opted for the '13. Unfortunaltely, my dealer did not have a '13 Deep Indigo, so I went with the Graphite Gray. I'm a little concerned that the gray with black interior is a bit depressing. Does anyone else have this concern or do you really love the color?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this combo on my 2011. I like the interior, it doesnt show the dark dirt but really picks up on light markings. The exterior looks nice when its clean.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hi everyone. About to take delivery of a '13 Premium with all weather on Saturday. Orginally, I was going with a Deep Indigo '12 because I loved the color combo with the Warm Ivory interior. However, after reading about all the improvements with the '13 and the steering and suspension concerns with the '10 to '12 OB's, I opted for the '13. Unfortunaltely, my dealer did not have a '13 Deep Indigo, so I went with the Graphite Gray. I'm a little concerned that the gray with black interior is a bit depressing. Does anyone else have this concern or do you really love the color?
The Graphite Gray will hold up better and hide paint imperfections and scratches better over the long run. I have the dark blue and it takes much effort to keep it looking decent 42,000 miles on ours. The cream interior has surprisingly held up pretty well with kids - camping and dogs we have leather so I need to wipe it down every few weeks but other than that its been good. My previous subaru was black interior which showed scratches and actually showed more dirt than the cream interior. I'm about 50/50 on how the colors compare regarding interior I like both and haven't found either one to have major negatives.

However our exterior color choice ME "Pearl White" Wife - something different than what other family members had Oh this dark blue looks nice -"Wife got her wish" - I still really wish I had pushed harder for the Pearl White.-- The wife does not wash the car "I DO"

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the Silver with dark grey interior. I love the interior, my last vehicle had a tan interior and it got dirty easily so I went with dark interior this time around and LOVE it!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have graphite gray with black interior. I'd be depressed if I had anything else (though the indigo would be nice too). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That color looks nice. I see one parked at a site I frequent.

We have a different vehicle with about the same color and our complaints are that it shows like any darker color shows the scratches that happen more than a light color like white, silver or the lighter metallic blue. The hotter car and scratches are why I chose silver.

I happen to like the looks of both interior colors. My mother in law has the light tan in a 1 yo Outback. My last car was tan. The dark will show dust more, the light can show stains.

My advice is get what you like.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really liked the blue available for 2011, but couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the cream interior. With 2 little kids, camping, biking, and semi regular firewood hauling, I figured it would be shot. I have steel silver exterior and am happy with it. I almost bought graphite gray. I find the black interior to be fine, I like it. It does show dust, but not stains, etc. If I was buying now I think I would still buy black interior, or maybe that SAP saddle brown, I really like that!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I really liked the blue available for 2011, but couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the cream interior. With 2 little kids, camping, biking, and semi regular firewood hauling, I figured it would be shot. I have steel silver exterior and am happy with it. I almost bought graphite gray. I find the black interior to be fine, I like it. It does show dust, but not stains, etc. If I was buying now I think I would still buy black interior, or maybe that SAP saddle brown, I really like that!
I had the same issue however so far 40,000 miles of kids - dogs - road trips - camping - hauling crap from the rental etc - the only thing really showing lots of dirt are my black floors. Surprisingly the cream leather wipes clean easily and really doesn't show much. My prior subaru was all black - black leather etc - the seats showed scratches from car seats - showed dirt and all the other stuff.

My take on it now having had both is that interiors are like exteriors. The darker the colors the more imperfections they show be it black or dark blue paint which is a major pita to keep looking good vs white painted cars which hide nearly every imperfection short of a huge scrape. LOL So far my experience with interiors has been the same the lighter interior hides the imperfections far better than the darker one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Gray on Black '13 OB and so far so good, its still extremely new. Ive noticed that the black interior shows dust and dog hair a little more. (I don't have a dog so that won't be much of an issue) I wanted a dark interior because I work outside and get full of dirt, mud, etc. We will see how it turns out, but in my '04 TL I had a grey interior that got trashed from my dirty self. The armrest had black grime on it and everything just really looked worn out from my roughness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:2cents:Whatever color you have, it is a good idea to give it some protection, I use the Klasse 'twins' and am very pleased. Other products are also highly rated as well. There are several threads on this. Here is one:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/64-detailing/13941-best-wax-polish-bug-birdpoo-ville.html

With the darker graphite gray, I think you may be in for a pleasant surprise after you put on a few coats of sealant glaze. And it really does last through months of washings. Just be sure to wash with car soap only after you use sealant. No dish washing liquid, since it is way too harsh and will remove the glaze and undo all the work you just did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I picked the car up over the weekend and have already received some positive feedback over the Graphite Gray color. So, no worries, it seems that I made the right choice :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Mr. Wintergreen
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing