Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody.

The Blue Beast: 2006 OB, 4 cyl, NA, 174,000 miles on the clock. I keep him like brand new. Amazing car.

The other day, I noticed that the left reverse light had condensation inside it.

I thought I might need a new reverse light...

However, when I lift the gate up to its full open position, water drips out from the little panel on the inside of the gate (that little square rectangular panel on the left, inside the gate. It's pretty much behind the reverse light, and quite close to it).

Yes, water drips from the felt lining on the inside of the gate.

I'm thinking this may be a blocked drain of some sort?

Thoughts on this? Might I fix this myself? Also, will I need a new reverse light?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
So the reverse lights aren't actually sealed, they have a fairly large opening in the back. There is piece of foam like packing that goes inbetween the light and the body that acts as a seal. This packing does not age well and begins to fall apart, letting water into the lights. I had this happen on mine.

The packing is available from Subaru, I'll have to try and find the part number.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the reverse lights aren't actually sealed, they have a fairly large opening in the back. There is piece of foam like packing that goes inbetween the light and the body that acts as a seal. This packing does not age well and begins to fall apart, letting water into the lights. I had this happen on mine.

The packing is available from Subaru, I'll have to try and find the part number.
Thank you! That sounds terrific.

If I could get the price of the part, I can 'suggest' that my Subaru dealer matches the price. Or I can even order it myself.

I have most repairs and maintenance done at my local dealer. They're a little expensive, but I like their operation.

Thanks again.

Edit: do you suggest I have both sides done, even though the right side is NOT leaking? When one of my headlights burns out, I always buy TWO bulbs, because I assume that the other will be dark shortly.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Here's the diagram from over at OpposedForces.

The part you are looking for is #21 Packing-back up Lamp 84940AG010.

And yes, if you're in there, you might as well do both. It's not a hard job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts