Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Thought I just had to change a light bulb, but it seems to be more complicated than that. 2000 Outback Wagon, right corner and hatch brake lights doing funny things as follows:
BRAKE NOT DEPRESSED, LIGHTS TURNED ON:
All 4 taillights working fine.
BRAKE DEPRESSED, LIGHTS OFF:
L Corner: good; L hatch: good, R hatch: taillight only on (1 filament on) R corner: off
BRAKE DEPRESSED, LIGHTS ON:
L Corner: good, L hatch: good, R hatch: off, R corner: good

I replaced the bulbs in R and L hatch so they are good, didn't change the corners as more difficult to get to (manual suggests taking to dealer to change) I also took steel wool to light bulb sockets to clear out corrosion. Noticed Left Hatch bulb contacts were melted on bulb I removed.
So whaddya think? How many of us will it take to change this lightbulb?
Thanks for any advice, I'm stumped.

Deb

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The wire running from the head liner into the hatch is known for developing shorts or simple breaking causing odd lighting issues with the hatch also.

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
If both the outside and hatch are supposed to have brake (stop) lights (so four stop light bulbs would be on when the brake pedal is pressed), and that doesn't happen, that's the path I would follow to troubleshoot.

BRAKE DEPRESSED, LIGHTS OFF:
L Corner: good; L hatch: good, R hatch: taillight only on (1 filament on) R corner: off
The left corner and left hatch seem to be working properly, but not on the right. When the brake pedal is pressed, why would the right hatch tail light filament be on if the lights are Off? I suspect the right corner -- it could have a corroded connector or a bad bulb, especially a broken filament crossing over internally to the other filament in the same bulb so that when the brake is pressed, power is going to the tail light circuit.

Given the condition of the socket on the left, I'd start by checking the others, and replacing the remaining brake/tail bulbs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If the below does not work, check for open grounds.
Any ground conductors not doing their job will result in stray voltages and any number of things not working as they should!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Saint J VT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing