Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about selling my 02 Legacy GT 5spd wagon and picking up a decent first gen ob. Any major issues w these cars? I've spent plenty of time doing head gaskets etc on my 02 so I'm anticipating that problem.

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is because my LGT is very "fast" not does handle any "trails" or offroading due to the lack of ground clearance.

Thanks for any input guys

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'm thinking about selling my 02 Legacy GT 5spd wagon and picking up a decent first gen ob. Any major issues w these cars? I've spent plenty of time doing head gaskets etc on my 02 so I'm anticipating that problem.

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is because my LGT is very "fast" not does handle any "trails" or offroading due to the lack of ground clearance.

If you already know about the head gaskets then you qualify for an associates degree in outbackology. No further education required, congrats!

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I get a pinning ceremony?

·
Registered
75 Posts
EJ25D have overheating problems often. I'm shop assistant, i sell subaru parts - ej25d head gaskets are top seller. :)
However my friends have subaru with EJ25 engine and they never had any problems.
You could to lift 1st gen obw very fast.
1st gen front suspension is the same as 2 gen obw. the rear suspension is easier than 2 gen suspension.

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
If you work on cars, why not just buy Outback struts and raise your GT? Put OB size tires on your stock wheels and Bob's your uncle! You might even get away with using your stock springs, otherwise some OB springs should be pretty easy to find (a lot more OB owners end up lowering their cars than GT owners raising theirs)...

Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a "96" 2.2 outback with a 5sp. In 2007, at 178,000 miles it developed a stuck valve. I fixed it and gave it to a co-worker for the $300.00 I had in parts to fix the valve.

Well it's almost 17 years old, he has almost 250,000 miles on it and never touched the engine again. The only head gasket that was replaced was the one I replaced when I fixed the stuck valve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a 99 Outback sport with 210 000 miles with a 2.2L engine. No problems whatsoever... just the regular maintenance.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set if OBXT springs in my garage that would work. I just feel bad about lifting a gt....

If you work on cars, why not just buy Outback struts and raise your GT? Put OB size tires on your stock wheels and Bob's your uncle! You might even get away with using your stock springs, otherwise some OB springs should be pretty easy to find (a lot more OB owners end up lowering their cars than GT owners raising theirs)...

Doug

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
You probably know this, but the Outback lift is mostly from the struts. I hear you on lifting a GT, but you have it and raising it is fairly trivial... Doug

I have a set if OBXT springs in my garage that would work. I just feel bad about lifting a gt....

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True. I guess I don't need the body spacers etc. I need struts anyway so maybe ill just go this route for now

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Well folks raise Outbacks and Foresters higher than stock and lower Outbacks and it doesn't seem like anything is wearing out crazy fast because of it. I am going to be lowering an OBXT in the next few months if all goes well and leaving in the spacers and whatnot doesn't concern me at all...

Good luck, and if you do it please post a picture as it may be a first :)

Doug

True. I guess I don't need the body spacers etc. I need struts anyway so maybe ill just go this route for now

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure it'll piss somebody off ;-). Ill make sure to post some pictures

·
Registered
2007 Outback xt 2.5 turbo manual transmission
36 Posts
Had a "96" 2.2 outback with a 5sp. In 2007, at 178,000 miles it developed a stuck valve. I fixed it and gave it to a co-worker for the $300.00 I had in parts to fix the valve.

Well it's almost 17 years old, he has almost 250,000 miles on it and never touched the engine again. The only head gasket that was replaced was the one I replaced when I fixed the stuck valve.
I had a the same car. Bought it with 100k on it, sold it with 180k on it. I was in two accidents in it, drove it up and down stevens pass in all types of serious snow and never had engine problems. That 2.2 liter is indestructible. With snow tires in the car, it was unstoppable. Maybe not fast but still fun to drive. I only sold it because I had beat up the outside of it too much and was embarrassed to pick up dates in it. I'm sure that car will go for another 100k or more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts