Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 2.5 L outback, 70k miles.

We used to do 7.5k intervals til I noticed we burned oil, then 6k, then 5k and now its closer to 4k.

Long story short, I dont have issues with Mobil 1 0w20 per se but I wanna move on to something more. Did some searching and I saw one thread for Shell Rotella. Anyone use it? would it be okay to bump up the viscosity to maybe a 30 or even a 40?

We're in Houston Texas. High traffic, high heat.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,345 Posts
you might clean/replace the PCV valve. if weak or gummy, it might cause an increase in oil usage.

I don't think too many of us would be comfortable telling someone else they should vary too far from the manual's recommendations.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We dont burn too too much oil but I feel comfortable with 5k intervals and that's what I've done for the past 30k miles or so. I would stick with the manual too but the manual said 7500 and then the very next year, oil consumption issues come out and despite the same engine platform, they bump it back to 6k. I feel like what they say may not be best, but what do I know?

Fortunately we dont burn a lot of oil. We have done 2 oil consuption tests and neither were concerning. We do burn about a qt in 6k miles.

I dont know what brand Subaru recommends outside their line, but Ive been reading Mobil 1 is a step back in quality from former years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,914 Posts
I'd check the PCV valve and if it's OK and you want to bump up a grade to a 30 wt, please feel free to do it. Nothing bad will come of it and it might cut down on your consumption.

If you want, try using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. It's a thin 30 wt. Consider using Castrol or M1 EP oils. Thickness is also right around the same as the Pennzoil and if you want to try a middle of the road thickness 30 wt, Wally World comes through again for you with an SN rated 5w-30 oil, such as regular M1, their AFE, regular Castrol and so on.

Check the PCV first and then try changing visocsity once you've ruled out mechanical issues.

On my car in running SL Castrol 0w-30. It's about as thick as any 30 wt can be without being a 40 and for the most part, in my car, it is a 40 wt oil.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
334 Posts
We dont burn too too much oil but I feel comfortable with 5k intervals and that's what I've done for the past 30k miles or so. I would stick with the manual too but the manual said 7500 and then the very next year, oil consumption issues come out and despite the same engine platform, they bump it back to 6k. I feel like what they say may not be best, but what do I know?

Fortunately we dont burn a lot of oil. We have done 2 oil consuption tests and neither were concerning. We do burn about a qt in 6k miles.

I dont know what brand Subaru recommends outside their line, but Ive been reading Mobil 1 is a step back in quality from former years.
A quart/6k miles is not all that bad. My Outback,with more than double the mile of yours, burns roughly the same. I think it's probably used that amount since it had around 80k on it. I've always used 5w-30 in the Amsoil brand. I first used the the Signiture Series and go 12 month drain intervals, but after I got more than 100k or so, I switched to the XL line and change every 6 months, probably around 8-10k. Just add a quart between drains, I think it is somewhat normal for Soobies to use some oil.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,992 Posts
I do 6k intervals. Rotella is a good brand, not a big fan of Mobil.
I know many will chime in that all oil is the same, well, no, it's not... LOL!
While all oil starts off the same, it's the additives that make it good, bad, or ugly...
I'm a Pennzoil person myself.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,476 Posts
I don't know if it's true for every variant of Rotella, but the T6 I use is notable for extra zinc additive content. This is very good for turbo bearings. It's also very bad for catalytic converters, if the oil is burnt and passed through with normal combustion exhaust.

I use this oil in my car because A) it has a turbo that benefits greatly from the additives and B) the turbo (and consequences of failure) costs more than the catalyst.

If your car has no turbo, this oil only brings risk without benefit.

You might find something other than the factory recommended 0W-20 to help you out, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree looking at Rotella.

I recall that the manual lists 5W-30 as an acceptable alternative, but you should verify this. It was built to use very thin oil. I wouldn't push that too hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts