Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
2017 outback:

Any tips on how to disconnect the yellow circled? Once is the power outlet, not sure what the other one is for. There is a clasp like piece of plastic that pushes in on the bottom side of the power outlet one, but it appears to have no affect.
Seems some of the plugs slide apart after you push something in. Perhaps only a portion of the plug moves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for writing back man, but I haven't had any luck. It doesn't budge. I'm either doing it wrong or its stuck on there somehow. Annoying as **** and no resources online. I might have to go to the dealership or something.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
339 Posts
I can't make out any details from the photo, but you can check the connector for any id numbers or manufacturer symbols, or brute force browse https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/connectors/rectangular-connectors or a similar resource from Mouser or an auto parts/electronics supply store (or Molex or Amphenol etc.) to either find that connector or at least get some ideas on how to release it. Some times there are multiple clips, sometimes you have to push very hard, sometimes the release is at an angle instead of straight apart, etc.

You're sure the yellow connector separates vs unplugs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the ideas and response. I'm working through the resources you gave me but there are just so many connectors its almost prohibitive to look through.

The connector doesn't have a manufacturer on it, but it says AMP 27. Also i've got some new pictures. The weird thing about this connector is that on the top it has a "hatch" that you can open which I assume gives access to the actual wire connections to the connector. Then on the bottom, there is a push in tab. The first picture is of the connector in question with the hatch open. the second is a similar connector that has the same tab on the bottom as the connector in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the ideas and response. I'm working through the resources you gave me but there are just so many connectors its almost prohibitive to look through.

The connector doesn't have a manufacturer on it, but it says AMP 27. Also i've got some new pictures. The weird thing about this connector is that on the top it has a "hatch" that you can open which I assume gives access to the actual wire connections to the connector. Then on the bottom, there is a push in tab. The first picture is of the connector in question with the hatch open. the second is a similar connector that has the same tab on the bottom as the connector in question.
In picture #1 with the connector connected, the release tab is on the left. I would suggest a couple of really small flathead screwdrivers. One to engage the tab (and keep it engaged) which then allows you to use another flathead screwdriver to pry the two pieces apart. Apply force with the screwdriver wiggling it between the two connector pieces at the joint, moving it around to move it apart a little at a time.

Once it moves 1/8", it will release fairly easily with a fairly standard flat-blade screwdriver (slot style).

If the connector is cold, try applying heat with a hair dryer for a couple minutes to loosen things up. Not melting point mind you, just warm to the touch. Not hot to the touch!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts