Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having an issue with our 2015 Outback. In April, the vehicle wouldn't start in the morning after sitting overnight in the garage. Subaru road service jumped the battery and I took it to the dealer (we had the extended security contract.) The dealer said that the battery was fine - it was a year old- and that the problem was that we didn't drive the car enough (It only has 18,000 miles.) This happened a few weeks later again. We went back to the dealer and the battery again tested good. The service manager said that even though the battery tested good, there could be some dead cells. I opted to replace the battery in May. All was fine until yesterday when the car wouldn't start in the morning. We again had the car checked out and the battery and alternator test perfect. The next morning the car wouldn't start again the next morning. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
18k on a 2015? That's very minimal driving (which can be hard on the battery) so you're definitely a candidate for a battery tender. But I'd also suggest that you make sure the dealer has applied the most recent ECM update which includes revised charging logic for the alternator (apparently free of charge under the emissions warranty - 8 years/80k).

Otherwise, should be a no-brainer, but have they checked for parasitic drain? It's relatively simple to do with a multimeter, but you'd have to disconnect the battery - easiest with a good quality clamp meter (you need sensitivity to low currents). Obviously also check interior lights and any aftermarket devices that might have access to the battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts