Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could find no answers. Is there an easy way to convert the console or dash 12 outlets to constant power not switched when the ignition is turned off?

Or is there an easy place to pick up an unswitched 12 volt wire under the seat, dash or console? Need just enough power to charge my phone.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
The easiest way (in my opinion) is to add surface mounted 12V power outlet and run it straight to the interior fuse box. I have added so far 2 extra outlets - one on the center elbow rest console, between front seats, facing rearwards - and one above the foot rest, straight down from the fuse box. You can tap into any fuse (using fuse splitter) that is live, when ignition is off (use the elec. tester, to find, which one is "live").
Alternative method is to find fuse for your console power outlet (behind the fuse box) and re-wire it to the "live" circuit.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
I did a search and could find no answers. Is there an easy way to convert the console or dash 12 outlets to constant power not switched when the ignition is turned off?

Or is there an easy place to pick up an unswitched 12 volt wire under the seat, dash or console? Need just enough power to charge my phone.

Thanks in advance.
I did this in my 2009 Legacy and my 2013 Outback.

The dashboard fuse panel makes this easy. The top red wire is a simple fused line from a constant power source to the console 12V power outlet. I just cut one blade off a fork crimp terminal and attached that to the end of a Add-A-Circuit ATM fuse tap). Plug them in as shown and you're good to go!

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
That is basically the same except I run a wire to the surface mounted 12V power outlet mounted above the footrest. I use that outlet to power my ProClip cell phone holder. See pics... My application is wired to fuse # 28 (which is not constant power fuse) but the red wire can be run to any "live" wire fuse, using the fuse splitter/fuse tap. I have also installed rear facing 12V power outlet in the rear A/C outlet console for use by rear seated occupants.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
If I knew where that relay was, I would pull it out, take off the cover and put a little shim in there to make the relay be in a constant on position. I did that to another vehicle, and it worked like a champ. Less than a five minute job, and no wires to run.
However, I don't know where the 12 v accessory power relay is on this vehicle. If anyone knows, please post.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
jogosub:

Nice pics...does picture #3 show an iphone5 lightning connector? I have been trying to find a good power+cradle for my iphone5 in my Outback for a MONTH now. So when I saw that that photo my eyes bulged out. Apologies in advance...lots of questions...if this is already explained in another post that you could point me to, please ignore these questions...

1 Any comments on the ease of connection between the cable and the iphone5? Does it snap in nicely? Or could it potentially break the internal iphone5 connection?

2. How do you connect the proclip to your car? Does that require drilling holes or is a suction type? Which model did you find works best - they sell three trillion different types!

3. Could you explain the first photo more? Looks like a USB outlet! Did you find some kind of 12 volt to USB surface mount outlet? Very cool.

4. Could you explain what fuse adaptors to tap off of the fuse in the photo? Did you use the same Add a Fuse as the previous post?

Sorry for all the questions...

Christopher

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
If I knew where that relay was, I would pull it out, take off the cover and put a little shim in there to make the relay be in a constant on position. I did that to another vehicle, and it worked like a champ. Less than a five minute job, and no wires to run.
However, I don't know where the 12 v accessory power relay is on this vehicle. If anyone knows, please post.
Thanks.
I think (not sure) it's in the engine fuse box compartment - most relays are out there!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
jogosub:

Nice pics...does picture #3 show an iphone5 lightning connector? I have been trying to find a good power+cradle for my iphone5 in my Outback for a MONTH now. So when I saw that that photo my eyes bulged out. Apologies in advance...lots of questions...if this is already explained in another post that you could point me to, please ignore these questions...

1 Any comments on the ease of connection between the cable and the iphone5? Does it snap in nicely? Or could it potentially break the internal iphone5 connection?

2. How do you connect the proclip to your car? Does that require drilling holes or is a suction type? Which model did you find works best - they sell three trillion different types!

3. Could you explain the first photo more? Looks like a USB outlet! Did you find some kind of 12 volt to USB surface mount outlet? Very cool.

4. Could you explain what fuse adaptors to tap off of the fuse in the photo? Did you use the same Add a Fuse as the previous post?

Sorry for all the questions...

Christopher
1. ProClip is for Samsung Galaxy S3. They have one for apple applications as well. The cable runs under the side panel and over the gas/brake pedals to surface mounted 12V power socket. In that power socket you can plug in a USB splitter - one for regular cell phone and one for Apple application. Those splitters are available on Amazon or Radio Shack.
2. Pro clip does not require any drilling. It comes with a plastic wedge applicator and you squeeze the mounting cradle in-between top and side gear selector panel. I decided to take off the center cover console, instead of using the squeeze-in applicator, and place easily the pro-clip wedge between those panels, when top was off.
3. I found several surface mount 12V power sockets. The one above foot rest is from Sweden (marine application) bought on e-bay from seller in Australia. The one in the back seat is also a marine flush 12V power outlet, bought from Amazon.
4. Yes, I call it fuse splitter but if you are using an empty fuse box slot, the correct name is tap a fuse. If you want "live" circuit, you would probably need a "fuse splitter" that would leave whatever existing fuse and would add fuse protected circuit. If you Google "add a fuse" several options will pop up.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Yeah, either there or under the dash panel on left.
But which relay?
If you have a circuit tester, you could find, which one it is.... or, keep pulling them off and see, which accessory will shut off....

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
That is basically the same except I run a wire to the surface mounted 12V power outlet mounted above the footrest. I use that outlet to power my ProClip cell phone holder. See pics... My application is wired to fuse # 28 (which is not constant power fuse) but the red wire can be run to any "live" wire fuse, using the fuse splitter/fuse tap.
While that is similar wiring job, it isn't what the OP asked for. He wanted to use the existing 12V outlets and just change one to be on constant with the car off. You don't need to add a whole new outlet to do that. With three 12V outlets already in an Outback, why add more?

Of course, to each their own...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
That is true; it was not the original question! That is why I mentioned my "similar" application with pictures that apparently caught some attention, don't you agree? Why add more? Well, for once kids/people in rear seat have no access to power! This way (my application) they do!

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have added outlets in most of my previous vehicles but was hoping to keep this a little cleaner.

Probably will just run back to the fuse panel and put an outlet at my feet. In the back hatch I am going to pull out the test light and find a constant power wire.

Will update the post when I have completed the project. Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Thank you jogosub, that was fantastically useful. I spent an hour educating myself about the proclip system you mentioned and the options for delivering power to the phone. Seems dang pricey but it was EXACTLY what I was looking for, so I placed an order.

As I have mentioned elsewhere online, part of the reason that I purchased the Subaru Outback was the strength of the community here that helps each other out.

Thank you kindly, regards, christopher.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I remember someone who did change the rear outlet to be constant. I think the story went something like how to keep the kids watching a movie while they set up the tent. I thought it was a smart idea but now I can't remember who posted it or when.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
ckhbuy: Same here ... I was looking for some clean way (no drilling, etc) to add a cell phone holder and this proclip was my choice. True, proclip is quite expensive comparing to other holders but at the end I am glad that I did spend more money for proclip. That, combined with the footwell 12V socket, was a fun project!
If you have any questions, once you get it, let me know. Again, I suggest to remove the center console panel rather than using the spread tool to put the bracket in place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts