Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum and looking at buying a 2013 outback in manual transmission. I've always driven manual and I have a question about the electronic parking brake (EPB).

I am used to always engaging my parking brake (pulling on the brake handle typically located between he front seats). Now I did read on a different thread that a lot of outback owners also use the EPB when they park their car. I do the same. However, in addition, I also use it when i am in traffic. For example, whenever I stop at a red light, I will pull the parking brake to rest my foot by not having to press on the foot brake all the time, even for a few seconds. I realize this method may be annoying for a lot of drivers but this is what I am used to.

All this is to say that during a single day, I can use the parking brake more than 20 times, if not more, particularly if I am driving downtown in traffic at peak time.

I am trying to find out if other owners do the same and if they have had any issues with the EPB failing due to heavy usage.

I came across the following thread (see below) but I didn't really find an answer because as mentioned above, most people use their EPB only when parking, not in traffic.

Anybody has any insights/experience on this?

By the way, I do not put the car in gear when I park. Just never done this before during the 20 years I've been driving manual. I am also worried that I might forget to put back in neutral and have the car "jump" and hit a wall or another car in front. I've never had a problem also. I've used my parking brake in -35°celcius (close to -35° fahrenheit) for hours with no issues.

Thank you in advance for your input

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...o-you-engage-electronic-parking-brake-12.html

·
Registered
2011 outback,2.5 Ruby Red
209 Posts
The car has "Hill Holder" and that's a great way to hold the car at a light. Once you set it when you leave the house it's good till you turn the car off at the end of you trip for the day. You only touch it one time that trip and it's good for every stop on a hill or slight hill. Touch the gas and off it goes till the next light.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
The 2013 no longer resets the hill holder. You can turn it on and leave it on.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
My car is a 2010 and automatic so even though it's a bit of apples to oranges, I live in a hilly town and use the parking brake whenever I park. I sometimes use the hill holder, when I stop on a particularly steep hill, the sound is exactly the same as when I park, so I assume the electronic brake is used. I've had no problems with the electronic brake, it's very effective, too.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
For example, whenever I stop at a red light, I will pull the parking brake to
rest my foot by not having to press on the foot brake all the time, even for
a few seconds. I realize this method may be annoying for a lot of drivers
but this is what I am used to.
Sounds like you learned to drive in the UK? If you don't set the p-brake
at every traffic light, you'll flunk the Brit drivers license test.

I use mine frequently, but not quite "always." No problems so far -- but
it's still nearly new (14 months and 15k miles).

Looby

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you learned to drive in the UK? If you don't set the p-brake
at every traffic light, you'll flunk the Brit drivers license test.

I use mine frequently, but not quite "always." No problems so far -- but
it's still nearly new (14 months and 15k miles).

Looby
:)
Actually I didn't learn to drive in the UK but I learned to drive in a country that used to be a british colony and where we drive on the left hand side of the road.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts