Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
How 'bout that Toyota? Two of the top 5 spots!

Proud that our little family has a #1 and a #2 in the driveway.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Audi finished 8th and MB 10th???:confused::confused: seriously?
Mazda tied with Subaru? Come on???:confused::confused:

Chrysler taking the bottom 2 spot... They got this one right!

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Audi finished 8th and MB 10th???:confused::confused: seriously?
Mazda tied with Subaru? Come on???:confused::confused:

Chrysler taking the bottom 2 spot... They got this one right!
I didn't look at the details but associates, acquaintances and family members have all had problems with Audi, Chrysler and Mercedes Benz cars I don't see so often with Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus.

The minor new car problem my 2013 had was finish bubble on a wheel. When I picked up the car they not only replaced the wheel but checked alignment, fixed it and rotated tires for the wear they saw even though the car drove well. All customer satisfaction in my book.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
One of the ongoing issues Audi and Mercedes has had is that their vehicles are more complex and the Techs working at the dealers have a much higher vehicle return rates for the same issue. Meaning the techs have a hard time fixing the issue the first time around. Knowing a good friend who started his own G wagon company with lots of Mercedes contacts he said the big challenge is simply the dealers ability to retain the highly skilled techs that can fix the complex cars the first time through the shop.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It's all about unplanned trips to the dealer.

It doesn't matter if it's because the chilled cup holder in the back seat isn't working, or there's a funny noise in the powered liftgate, or if you aren't sure about that beep it did the other day It's a trip to the dealer.

If your car doesn't have chilled cup holders or powered liftgates, you might not have to go as often. Just sayin'.

I'm amazed at how well the luxury brands have scored on these tests, given how many little things they have that could go wrong. It's a strong statement that they are getting scores as high as they are.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
12 Posts
One of the ongoing issues Audi and Mercedes has had is that their vehicles are more complex and the Techs working at the dealers have a much higher vehicle return rates for the same issue. Meaning the techs have a hard time fixing the issue the first time around. Knowing a good friend who started his own G wagon company with lots of Mercedes contacts he said the big challenge is simply the dealers ability to retain the highly skilled techs that can fix the complex cars the first time through the shop.
I have this as well. Of course there are a number of variables that go into these ratings. It was interesting that subaru was rated first last year, so no big change overall. Makes me glad to have my OB.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Mazda tied with Subaru? Come on???
Well, I'm hoping Subaru deserves to be sharing silver with Mazda.
Five Mazdas since 1988, with 750,000 miles so far (two are still in
the home fleet). Never stranded, no major failures.

...hard act to follow! Good luck, Mother Soobie,

Looby

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
And that is exactly right. The problem has been for years that most dealers send only their service managers to the true "factory" training in Germany... instead of sending techicians (mechanics) that actually work on cars for close to minimum wages...notice their framed "factory certificates" hanging on their office walls...

Subaru techs are trained in the U.S. at Subaru regional training centers - so, it's cheaper for dealers to send their mechanics there...

With regards to "G" cars, for many years there was just one "un-official" importer in New Mexico. I think now you can order G models through regular MB dealer....diesel Gs come from Austria.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
I take everything Consumer Reports writes about vehicles with a grain of salt. They are definitely Asian-manufacturer biased. If they rate a car that is made with both an Asian-name brand and a ""Big 3" name brand, the Asian-brand always rates higher. An example would be the Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prism. It was the same car, built by the same people, running down the same line one after the other. The only differences were in exterior appearance and interior trim. Yet the Corolla was rated considerably higher than the Prism.

Reliability of many of the vehicles I have owned was exactly the opposite of what was reported by them. There are definitely design-related idiosyncracies on any vehicle but my experience is that a lot of the reliability issues a person has are a direct reflection of how well they do or do not maintain the vehicle. YMMV!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
BadAv: ....and most "Asian" cars are made in the U.S. or Canada ..... Consumer Reports runs quite a sophisticated test lab and test track up in Yonkers - have you been there lately BadAV ? Not everything they test is "bias" ... look at Edmunds as well... why is it that they mostly agree with each other's findings?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I take everything Consumer Reports writes about vehicles with a grain of salt. They are definitely Asian-manufacturer biased. If they rate a car that is made with both an Asian-name brand and a ""Big 3" name brand, the Asian-brand always rates higher. An example would be the Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prism. It was the same car, built by the same people, running down the same line one after the other. The only differences were in exterior appearance and interior trim. Yet the Corolla was rated considerably higher than the Prism.

Reliability of many of the vehicles I have owned was exactly the opposite of what was reported by them. There are definitely design-related idiosyncracies on any vehicle but my experience is that a lot of the reliability issues a person has are a direct reflection of how well they do or do not maintain the vehicle. YMMV!
Sometimes the trim or interior changes needed to differentiate a pair of co-branded models are the very thing which causes one to fail.

I recently rented a Chevy cruze, didn't get to pick it. Had never driven one before. In short it was a great little rolling chassis desperately in need of a new interior. I was immediately curious to learn about the original version of the car, the Daewoo Lacetti. Unfortunately those aren't sold here so I might never know the answer.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is that when I instinctually know to go check out the 'Asian version' of a world car like that, the design problems in the 'American versions' are very real and have been institutionalized for a long time. Consumer Reports may not have found a good way to express this, but I do think they are dialed in on the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I take everything Consumer Reports writes about vehicles with a grain of salt.
On their home-grown test reports, I do my best to sort out the
hard facts from their squishy opinions and "value judgements."
Their facts are usually reliable -- but I often disagree strongly
with their opinions, rankings, and "best buy" pronouncements.

OTOH, their reliability data is something entirely different. It's
based on owner responses to surveys -- not in-house testing.

So, when they report different results for nominally "identical"
cars built by on the same assembly line, the difference can't be
due to a CR editorial bias. There might be owner-bias -- due to
differing expectations of Chevy versus Toyota "fan boys" -- or
maybe a difference in the average quality of Chevy vs. Toyota
dealer service departments. Probably a combination of factors.

FWIW, four of our five ultra-reliable Mazdas were union-built
on the Flat Rock, MI assembly line (shared by Ford & Mazda).
The Miata was built in Japan, but since it was 'pre-owned', I
don't feel quite so guilty for not supporting US labor.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
Their reliabililty data is taken from owners. Many of these owners may experience reliability problems with their vehicles simply because they do not take care of them or maintain them properly. Their test results are anything but scientific. You have to make an educated guess by wading through their information and do additional research from other sources. In the end, it's nothing but an educated guess.

I was in the tier-one OEM automotive supplier business as a Quality Engineer and Quality Manager for 25 years and have been in many of the assembly plants in the US, Canada, and Mexico so I do know a little bit about vehicles and their manufacturers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts