Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R LL Bean
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start a discussion here to see what the concensus is on if/how a Subaru can ever get back on the long life coolant schedule after being contaminated with normal coolant.

What got me thinking about this is I just bought a 2010 Tribeca with 57,000 miles on it. It seemed to be serviced by a lot of Valvoline stuff, oil filter that looked too small, a rubber washer on the oil drain plug, red coolant in the reservoir. There are 2-3 types of coolant because I drained it and it's a dark brown-black color. It may have had blue, red and green coolant in it.

Now that the coolant is drained I'm thinking about filling it back up with distilled water, running it, draining the radiator again, then filling up with Super blue coolant. How many flushes does it take to have nothing but blue coolant in it?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
968 Posts
I think you are “overthinking it“ a bit too much.

Drain the fluid, fill with fresh water and then run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes after the system is “burped” (with the heater on high). When cool, drain the water and then fill with the Subaru coolant and burp the system a final time.

Job done don’t worry about it anymore.

Seagrass

1 - 2 of 2 Posts