Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS. So far I'm very pleased with these tires. They are quiet, and handle wet conditions very well. The tread pattern is very aggressive, so I'm excited to see how they do in the snow. If you are looking for a good set of all-weather tires, I would highly recommend these. I will review their snow capabilities soon. :29:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Be weary if you take them on dirt roads. They are known for having excessively soft sidewalls. Otherwise, they seem like great tires for rain and light snow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 'em on my 06 OB, and on my Fiancee's 07 Civic... had em on my 98 LGT also... Love em... They are QUIET!!! Noticeably quiet!
Drove my LGT pretty aggressively, on all surfaces, and never had an issue!
Good in snow, absolutely amazing in rain... I have actually noticed I am comfortable driving when there is LOTS of water on the road, and all the drivers around me are slowing down and being extra cautious. Great tires!

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 on the heavy rain experience above. I have them in my wife's X3. Love to plow through standing water raising water curtains on the side (when no other cars are close, of course) and without hydroplaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have them on my 08 impreza 5 door...great tires.
I am probably going to put some on my 01 outback vdc or I may put a set of
BFG Rugged Terrain's on it. I have a set on my 94 GMC...also a great tire.

The DSW's also do very well in ice and light snow. Quiet...even on concrete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Conti Extreme Contact DWS on WRX r Great !

I have had two sets of older version Extreme Contact on this car; after the Poorenzas gave up at 38K. These sets both lasted over 40K each. The last 5-10K were sketchy; but not as bad as the OEM Poopenzas. Currently at 140K on my odometer, the DWS prove a supreme tire, in all weather. Hoping to get even longer wear, I only wish these newer DWS types were available in 225/60R16 for my LL Bean.

Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires get my highest recommendations !

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had a set on my 06 Cadillac CTS and can echo everyone else's comments - very quiet, great wet traction, and decent in the snow, even with the rear-wheel drive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm on my second set of these on a Civic Si and they are a good road tire. I only got 35k out of the last set, but that car gets driven as God intended...

I need new 3 season tires on my BMW this spring and the DWS will get the nod. They are quiet, good road feel, great wet and dry traction, reasonable in the snow, ice traction on par with any all-season design. All that and a good value, too.

JP

·
Registered
785 Posts
DWS got up the hill (that is our driveway) in icy snow without any issues - in our MINI...
Outback is still doing fine on GY Assurance TT's (2nd Gen)...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My sister has these on her Legacy GT. Definitely a good tire, very good in the snow for an all season!

·
Registered
196 Posts
wish these came in my '13 OB 3.6r's exact size (225/60/17). i went ahead and ordered the 235/55/17 size instead. anyone else make this change to their '10-'13 OB?

thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well I got my dws's installed today. Let me say they sure changed the dynamic performance of the car. These tires have a firmer carcass and sidewall co struction than the procontacts. The tread hums a bit when rolling. But the bump response is better. The turn in response is better and more linear. And the compound is far stickier. Overall very happy with these tires after the first 100 mi's of driving so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ha, I guess I'm the only one that disliked these tires. Had them on my Acura TL-s and the soft sidewalls just killed any type of spirited driving. Returned them to tire rack and exchanged them for DW's. definitely going back to yokohama's for my next set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you still happy with the DWS

Duckboy,
Are you still happy with your DWS tires? Are you still glad that you went 2o 235/55/17? I am on the fence and don't know what to do.

I have 52,500 on my stock Conti's and have 4/32 left. I should be able to get through vacation and into the fall, but I am really on the fence.

The Defenders sound good, but hearing people talk about 9=11% drop in mileage is concerning.

The DWS sounds good, but not sure about going to 235/55/17.

The Hankook Optimo 727 has good reviews, but am gun shy due to a bad experience with Hankook's.

My Conti Pro contacts have been good to me, but i can't justify putting another set on when almost everyone pans them, and on Tirerack, almost every tire has better ratings in almost every category.

Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
I currently am running these for my "Summer Set" on my XT. It being Colorado, that still means "all season" with an Outback. They are a great tire. Super quiet from a tread noise standpoint. Good traction all the way around. Although, I have only experienced dry, water, light snow.

I don't have any experience with mud or real "off-roading". I have a Jeep. But I would agree with those who have mentioned the softer sidewall. I expect they would not survive pushing into Geolander A/T territory for very long. It is not a true "high performance" tire either. When pushed at near WOT through hair-pins and such...they squirm a bit. When I am behind the wheel, on that Mtn pass, do I want it to be stiffer...SURE. But you can't get everything.

They also work quite well for my father (retired engineer who now restores show level cars) on his A4. He uses them as a all-season tire in PA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just put a set of DWS's (225x55x17) on our Outback today. Let's all return to this thread for updates periodically. I always hate it when I search a thread checking on a certain tire and everyone says how great they are the first month they own them, then nothing. Let's keep it alive with updates every few months. :29::29:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran these on my wifes 03 Legacy wagon and LOVED them. I'm considering getting them for her 05 OBXT but I'm wondering if they will be ok exploring gravel/lightly washed out roads. Her XT is a 5spd so any "real" offroading is out (we did some logging road exploring in Maine this summer looking for moose and realized 1st gear is TOO tall for low speed creeping uphill), I'll save that for my 93 Landcruiser! My wife actually complained about the Uniroyal TigerPaws that came with the car. She said that she hates how the car handles in the rain and how it plows in the wet and dry.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've only had them for three months. They are definitely out performing the Uniroyal TP's we had on the car. They are great in the rain. We haven't experienced snow or off road at this point. Sadly I won't be giving updates on these DWS's much longer. My son decided he wanted a smaller car with better gas mileage. He is trying to finish school on his own dime and the Subie sale will help finance his final year.
I am currently driving the XT and tying to sell it locally at the moment.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Well the DWS got pushed through the paces today. I think I have maxed them out. I am very impressed. Their wet traction(at close to freezing) is sticky. I took the XT to Arapahoe Basin today. I encountered et at near freezing, hardpack, chain-rutted ice, 6" or fresh, 4" of lane-change-crud. The DWS did very well. They threw up rooters-tails in anything loose. Did well with the hardpack and rutted-ice. I even had a couple of Sun dried pavement to NorthFace shaded ice...on a tight turn. ABS did a shudder or 2 and back in confidence.

I broke them loose on purpose in "6 of POW and in the AB parking lot. The DWS hooked up really well. Almost as good as my (ex-winter) Hankook IcePikes. The colder season performance of this tire is where it really shines.

Loveland Pass on the return trip. Closed in the AM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
I just put a set of DWS's (225x55x17) on our Outback today. Let's all return to this thread for updates periodically. I always hate it when I search a thread checking on a certain tire and everyone says how great they are the first month they own them, then nothing. Let's keep it alive with updates every few months. :29::29:
I will do my best in your desertion. Lol :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
23 Participants
traildogck
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing