Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is how much coolant has disappeared in 5,800 mile, 5 months. This has been an ongoing issue with my 2020 since new. The dealership claims this is normal "evaporation" and said they performed a pressure check even though it was not on my receipt. I've never had a car that has consumed coolant unless there was a problem.

Today I filed a complaint with the NHSTA and suggest others with this issue do the same. It can be done online at Home | NHTSA (report a safety problem) or by phone at 888-327-4236.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Fender

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
690 Posts
What motor? Mine is at the factory fill line from 8/2020 when I picked my car up. Do you live in a hot climate. Mines cool. 9k on my car now no change.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
190 Posts
Have you kept track of your coolant level consistently over time? At different engine temperatures? Coolant levels can show differently depending on if you check on a cold engine after it's been sitting for a couple of days, or if you check right after you drove for a hundred miles. If you always consistently check at the same time (say, before starting the engine for the first time in the day, or right after turning it off for the last time in the day) and then see the levels dropping over time, then you might have an issue. Otherwise it's hard to say from just one picture - if your coolant has always been at the level shown in that picture when the engine is warm, I'm not sure that indicates an issue, but someone more informed can chime in if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
690 Posts
I don't have it in the OB but I have equipment that needs to topped up from time to time. Some even needs oil. I don't see how it's safety lot of manuals tell you to check fluids at x time. Even the OB one. I know my gfs 2014 2.5 needs to be topped up once in a while it's has 75k on it now. I don't think much about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you kept track of your coolant level consistently over time? At different engine temperatures? Coolant levels can show differently depending on if you check on a cold engine after it's been sitting for a couple of days, or if you check right after you drove for a hundred miles. If you always consistently check at the same time (say, before starting the engine for the first time in the day, or right after turning it off for the last time in the day) and then see the levels dropping over time, then you might have an issue. Otherwise it's hard to say from just one picture - if your coolant has always been at the level shown in that picture when the engine is warm, I'm not sure that indicates an issue, but someone more informed can chime in if I'm wrong.
I always check fluids when the car is cold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have it in the OB but I have equipment that needs to topped up from time to time. Some even needs oil. I don't see how it's safety lot of manuals tell you to check fluids at x time. Even the OB one. I know my gfs 2014 2.5 needs to be topped up once in a while it's has 75k on it now. I don't think much about it.
Some oil consumption make sense, while coolant and Freon should be minimal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a car person, I always check things out with a cool car except trans fluid. And I always check and top fluids off at each oil change. Coolant shouldn't drop that much.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,259 Posts
Here is how much coolant has disappeared in 5,800 mile, 5 months. This has been an ongoing issue with my 2020 since new. The dealership claims this is normal "evaporation" and said they performed a pressure check even though it was not on my receipt. I've never had a car that has consumed coolant unless there was a problem.

Today I filed a complaint with the NHSTA and suggest others with this issue do the same. It can be done online at Home | NHTSA (report a safety problem) or by phone at 888-327-4236.

View attachment 542279
Pretty normal. I have my dealer fill to the yellow line at every oil change, and then 6,000 miles later it's down to around the full mark. Yes, Subaru is the first vehicle we've had that evaporates off coolant from the reservoir in hot weather, but it was pretty consistent with both our 19 and 20 so as long as the dealer keeps topping it off it's fine.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,105 Posts
Yeah, can't tell what volume that works out to (looks like it may be a bit excessive), but this issue is pretty common, particularly in the first 10k miles or so as air works it's way out of the system (which is when I would top off with super coolant). It will continue to some extent throughout the life of the vehicle due to evaporation of the water component as the expansion tank breathes (I switched to distilled water after 10k and the fluid density has remained constant out to 130k). Lots of threads on this in the Gen 5 subforum, and likely in the earlier gens as well. Can be hard to believe it's all evaporation but rarely is there any problem identified and I've yet to see any failure or other damage being traced back to normal amounts of coolant "consumption".

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,648 Posts
My car lost some coolant for the first year or so but now the level is remaining stable. I'm guessing that over time small bubbles in the cooling system work their way out. I just topped it off with distilled water for the first year.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring 2.5L Abyss Blue Pearl
29 Posts

View attachment 542279
We have had 4 Outback’s, each bought new and with the 2.5L engine: 2006, 2009, 2015, & 2021. All were Limiteds except the current Touring (the best car ever!). All the Limiteds consumed (?) both oil and antifreeze between 5000 service intervals. The oil consumption seemed to be about a quart @ 3500 miles. The antifreeze seemed to disappear at about 2/3 of the distance between the two lines on the overflow tank (cold). I never saw or smelled any evidence of where this stuff was going; the cars all ran fine.

So far (9000 miles) the 2021 hasn‘t used a drop of either. Thankful, but not sure why the difference.

Great vehicles for our rural travels.

N. Fowler

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,064 Posts
Pressure check it.

If it shows a leak, get it fixed under warranty.

If it doesn't show a leak, move on and take care of the more important things in life.

Either way, this will conclude the matter.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,953 Posts

View attachment 542279
Totally normal and many other forum members have reported a similar drop. That is around 5 ounces of fluid loss (150ml) and is to be expected in a hot environment in an unsealed cooling system.

I suggest you do what other forum members have done and purchase a quart of Subaru coolant and top up as required.

Seagrass

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pressure check it.

If it shows a leak, get it fixed under warranty.

If it doesn't show a leak, move on and take care of the more important things in life.

Either way, this will conclude the matter.
So I guess you see most posts as not important to you. Maybe you should move on and not waste time with such comments. Thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.