Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in NZ they aren't! ..... They are toy cars- competent in snow etc but not real "Outback's"...

Just wonering how people feel........

·
Registered
244 Posts
Brian won't be happy with this thread.....

I think "Outback Sport" is a North American model name, everywhere else in the world it's Impreza.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
We looked at the Impreza Outback Sport before buying my wife's 05 Impreza RS.

While it is a really nice little car, and looks great in Silver/Crystal Grey, it is really just a trim level.

It has different body styling, some upgraded equipment, and about .4" more ground clearance.

In the end, she was just looking for a commuter, so she went with the RS.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Hey you bashers! My OBS is a tad different than a regular Impreza. Ride height (ground clearance) Heavier duty suspension, outdoor air temp gauge, two-tone paint....It is a small version of the big ugly Outbacks:D Now wasn't the first Outback based on an Impreza? Brian

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
The Outback Sport might compare reasonably with the pre '05s, but the new breed of Outbacks (read: "light trucks") have raised the bar--literally and figuratively.

It's almost like comparing apples and oranges at this juncture, never mind adding the turbo to the mix.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From a Subaru NZ press release (August 2004):

"Subaru of New Zealand is evaluating a model that is called the Impreza RV in some markets and the Impreza Outback in other parts of the world. If it were to be introduced here it would slot in under the Impreza RS. But initially it will be produced for New Zealand in limited production runs only.

As its name suggests, the Impreza RV/Outback is aimed at the lifestyle market."

Haven't seen any in the showrooms yet though - although there was (one?) shipment that must have come in a year or so ago as a special one off I am guessing, maybe judging the market perhaps, as I have seem a couple of these in NZ - they dont look to have any or much extra ground clearance but have the cladding etc like their big brothers.

I am guessing it didn't work out as we havent seen them in the showrooms since - guess most people here go for the Forester in preference to an OBS?

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this pic on an Aussie site - is this the same car as the US OBS??

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick check of the Subaru Australia site shows the Impreza RV has 160mm ground clearance vs 150mm in other Impreza's - that's an extra 10mm (about 0.4 in).

·
Registered
244 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Hey you bashers! My OBS is a tad different than a regular Impreza. Ride height (ground clearance) Heavier duty suspension, outdoor air temp gauge, two-tone paint....It is a small version of the big ugly Outbacks:D Now wasn't the first Outback based on an Impreza? Brian
Uh yeah, like Ottiehund has said, it's aka the Impreza RV ! :p

Originally posted by ottiehund
guess most people here go for the Forester in preference to an OBS?
Not me....the Forester is too butt-ugly for my taste.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
no, it's not a "real" OB. and yes, the .4" figure is what my o-manual sez too. it looks to have abt 1-2" less grd clearance than the barges, er big OBs.

it IS apples and oranges. the big OB is a big ole lovable station wagon popular with reasonably progressive individuals...in other words, sort of a Golden Retriever or burro on wheels, and the spiritual heir to the volvo 245. wheelbase abt same as volvo 850. OTOH, the OBS is, as the name suggests, something of a practical sports car....same drivetrain with abt 4-5" less wheelbase, less weight, lower ride height (there's this phenomenon called body roll even you big-OB folks may have heard of...) and less geegaws to distract you from driving. you guys trade straight line stability and carrying capacity for less twisty road agility. what % of your driving did you say was off paved roads in rough enough terrain that you need that extra ground clearance? one suspects that if one REALLY did the majority of one's driving off road, one might buy a Jeep instead of ANY Subie.....

if it's a "toy" car, what are the implications of fact that your car uses the exact same wind-up motor inside? i DO like to take it out and play with it a lot.....

<<<<you can bash em all you want, but which model has put Subaru on the map worldwide and established it as a legit performance car, and which one does Subaru run on the WRC circuit?>>>> any Legacies out there whompin on ya at the rallycross, Brian?

Sly, yeah, i admit i would love one of the 05s like yours. BUT I paid $13K for my pristine 30K-mile OBS last summer. what did you say you had into your car? for twice the $, i would expect an 05 XT to be a LITTLE nicer......and my climate controls work.

the big OB DOES carry a lot of stuff. :D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Good post CPT!

I'm sure the OBS is more tossable then the big Outbacks, but have you tried an OBXT? I was quite surprised at how nimble it is for such a large tall wagon. I do find the rear-end to be a bit underdamped, but that should be easy to fix once the aftermarket catches up. I don't find the body lean too bad at all. The 05s apparently have a lower center of gravity then the previous Outbacks. This car handles much better then most of the American-built sedans I rent for work on a regular basis.

I agree with you on the ground clearance, if I didn't need it, I probably would have bought something else. But I live at the end of 5.4 Kms of rough dirt trail, and the snow-plow doesn't always come by before I leave in the morning. The road can also get VERY rough in the spring. The OB is perfect for that, but my wife certainly gets by fine with her Impreza RS 90% of the time.

I also agree that the OBXT could be nicer for the price, (even more so in Canada where it costs the same as a TL or a GS35) and I'm happy to hear a Subaru fan thinking that way! I got linched over at LegacyGT.com for daring to complain about this car. The seats could be better and the ACC is very disapointing! There's a few other minor details that they missed as well, and I still have a strong suspicion that there is something awry with the ABS.

But nonetheless, there is nothing else out there that provides that combination of performance, handling, comfort, practicality, and all-weather or off-road capability. The only thing that beats it is the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, at 3 times the price.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
sduford said:
But nonetheless, there is nothing else out there that provides that combination of performance, handling, comfort, practicality, and all-weather or off-road capability.
AMEN!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
yah, you said it. if i knew 6 mos ago what i knew now (ie, girlfriend wd need to buy car her 86 yr old parents can get into and out of of so she got a CR-V), we woulda gotten one 05OB stead o' the OBS and the CR-V.

that being said, the little one has the same duality/versatility....it goes from playing Faux Jeep to Faux Miata seamlessly. like a minnow among the leviathans, darting around the You Cons and 'Hoes on mountainous back roads of NM. and i suspect it wd still run away from the big 'un if road were twisty enough that you couldn't use them 250 angry equines.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I like the image: "a minnow among the leviathans." Don't get me wrong; I think the OBS is a great vehicle for the right needs--and you have identified many of those needs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey! Y'all are forgetting about us poor little Legacy owners...

I must say I was pretty happy with the deal I got on my car. I could have gotten an Outback for about 3-4k more but the dealership I ended up buying from was dumping Legacys like there was no tomorrow. Something like $5k off sticker price, plus outrageous trade-in (actually made money on the car I traded), plus low financing (for the time).

So what did I lose besides the Outback name? Just some plastic on the doors, different wheels and about an inch of ground clearance -- all of which I can deal with for saving $3k. :)

And yep, it's still a Subie through and through - I didn't even have to re-learn where the buttons are, they're the exact same as the '02 Outback I drove for 2 summers.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
What is the ground clearance on the Legacy? It's not listed in the specs on Subaru's website. My old Volvo 850 was 6.2 inches, which looks like it might be comparable to the Legacy.

And did it change for '05?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Let's face it, realistically the OBS is an Impreza trim level done for marketing purposes, same as the OBW is a Legacy/Liberty trim level done for marketing purposes. There are a number of differences from the standard on each, but since it's the same body shell to me it's the same car. So to me, if Subaru puts an "Outback" badge on it, then it's a real Outback. So I guess if you're driving an Impreza RV in Austalia or Japan, you're not driving an Outback. ;)

PS Liberty/Legacy ground clearance for current models is 150mm except 3.0RSpec B is 155mm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mudge said:
The Outback Sport might compare reasonably with the pre '05s, but the new breed of Outbacks (read: "light trucks") have raised the bar--literally and figuratively.

It's almost like comparing apples and oranges at this juncture, never mind adding the turbo to the mix.
What did they do to change the actual vehicle? I thought it was simply asking the EPA to reclassify so they can use lower fuel economy engines. With the new classifications, they separate some of the thirstier models into a category with a lower CAFE requirement, and leave the fuel misers in the higher CAFE class without the thirsty engines bringing down the CAFE.

My big thing in looking for cars at the moment, in which a 96 OB stick is a frontrunner as a 2 year band aid solution, is if I get an SUV, it better be a real truck frame SUV or I will start bending and breaking suspension parts pretty darn quick.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
18 Participants
juneof44
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing