Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, i'll be inspecting a car tomorrow, 07 legacy. I took it for a small test drive the other day. The car drove well. The car hadn't been driven in almost a month and oil was due for a change. No burning oil smell for exhaust. On our drive the car was cold and slowly brought it to temp. From inside I could faintly hear a slight ticking noise. Is this normal for subaru's? It didn't rattle loud or shake the car. It drove and idled smoothly.
The owner has always used Castro gtx (conv.) 5w-30 oil. Would maybe changing to synthetic help? Or just a fresh oil change. It was reaaaaly cold the day we drove it. The car has around 120k miles on it. Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
all cars run funny when cold until they get to operating temp.

oil discussion here is a much "debated" topic,

typical suggestion: 5w30 full synthetic with a subaru OEM filter. (not so expensive when you buy them from dealers on amazon /ebay).

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Had a 13 O.B. with 2.5 and always ran synthetic oil, 5-30 here in PNW. At warm idle, had piston slap noise on drivers side engine bank which I was told by dealership and have also read on many forums, is normal for that engine. Did it since brand new. Just sold it last week and bought an 18 O.B. Limited with only 500 miles on it and don't hear a piston slap or ticking. Seems some model 2.5's do it and some don't no matter what oil is used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts