Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2021 Subaru Outback and we got the Diono Radian 3RXT. Our son is still rear facing and will be for a while but I can’t get the car seat to fit in either 3 seats rear facing without both front seats being all the way forward and seat back at a 90 degree angle, which makes it impossible to drive.

Any recommendations? Does the extra adjuster really help? Or does anyone have a good suggestion for a convertible car seat for this car?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,241 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2021 Subaru Outback and we got the Diono Radian 3RXT. Our son is still rear facing and will be for a while but I can’t get the car seat to fit in either 3 seats rear facing without both front seats being all the way forward and seat back at a 90 degree angle, which makes it impossible to drive.

Any recommendations? Does the extra adjuster really help? Or does anyone have a good suggestion for a convertible car seat for this car?
The adjuster does help. But it is almost impossible to get a good fit with a diono in the Subaru. We have one RF using latch system. Took a lot to get an ok fit and had to make sure diono was ok with the way it was installed as it’s not ideal. We will be changing over to a different seat as soon as we can.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I also purchased a 2021 Outback and am running into the same issue. I have three little ones ages 4, 3, and 10 months all in car-seats. My youngest is ready to graduate from her Britax infant seat so I purchased the Diono Radian 3QX thinking I would also replace the Graco 4Ever and the the Safety First Grow and Go seats my other two are currently using; however, the Diono seat doesn't fit, not even close. Has anyone found a carseat solution?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
277 Posts
I also purchased a 2021 Outback and am running into the same issue. I have three little ones ages 4, 3, and 10 months all in car-seats. My youngest is ready to graduate from her Britax infant seat so I purchased the Diono Radian 3QX thinking I would also replace the Graco 4Ever and the the Safety First Grow and Go seats my other two are currently using; however, the Diono seat doesn't fit, not even close. Has anyone found a carseat solution?
What about it does not fit? Rear facing?

I am running two DIONO 3QXT (same as 3QX with an extra pad) without any issues. Noting that I do not use the middle seat. Rear facing one works fine for me when used with the angle adjuster (Angle Adjuster).

When installing, I use the seat recline trick to get things tight on both seats.

If the issue is getting three across to fit, then I have to think Clek Foonf or Fllo Seats would be the way to go. I have a Clek Fllo that was the only thing I could get to fit rear facing in the middle of my Focus ST (Recaro seats in it were bulky). It actually fit between the front seats when they were reclined and sitting back on the rails. My Clek Fllo sits on a shelf now, but I could probably test fit it in the Outback if needed. Noting that the Cleks do not have booster functionality like the DIONO Products.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about it does not fit? Rear facing?

I am running two DIONO 3QXT (same as 3QX with an extra pad) without any issues. Noting that I do not use the middle seat. Rear facing one works fine for me when used with the angle adjuster (Angle Adjuster).

When installing, I use the seat recline trick to get things tight on both seats.

If the issue is getting three across to fit, then I have to think Clek Foonf or Fllo Seats would be the way to go. I have a Clek Fllo that was the only thing I could get to fit rear facing in the middle of my Focus ST (Recaro seats in it were bulky). It actually fit between the front seats when they were reclined and sitting back on the rails. My Clek Fllo sits on a shelf now, but I could probably test fit it in the Outback if needed. Noting that the Cleks do not have booster functionality like the DIONO Products.

Thank you so much for replying! Forward facing the 3QX is fine, however; rear facing it doesn't fit behind either seat or in the middle without riding right on the seat back of the diver/passenger. I had to bring both of the front seats almost all the way forward with zero recline to get it to sit properly; I'm 5'10 and I wouldn't be able to safely drive and neither would my 6'5 husband. Do you mind me asking how tall you are, just to gauge if I could get the seat to work if I purchase the angle adjuster. Right now I have the seat all boxed up and ready to return, but If I can easily remedy this with the adjuster I would much rather do that.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
277 Posts
Thank you so much for replying! Forward facing the 3QX is fine, however; rear facing it doesn't fit behind either seat or in the middle without riding right on the seat back of the diver/passenger. I had to bring both of the front seats almost all the way forward with zero recline to get it to sit properly; I'm 5'10 and I wouldn't be able to safely drive and neither would my 6'5 husband. Do you mind me asking how tall you are, just to gauge if I could get the seat to work if I purchase the angle adjuster. Right now I have the seat all boxed up and ready to return, but If I can easily remedy this with the adjuster I would much rather do that.
I am right at 6'. I keep the rear facing seat behind the passenger side. However, I double checked and my passenger seat sits just a touch farther back than my normal driving position so it would work behind me at 6' tall. If you want to get a rough idea of if the adjuster will work there are two things you could check. The angle puts the back of the Diono where it is in line with the headrest on my seats instead of the setback.

1. Put the seat in rear facing, but not fully tight. The adjuster keeps the two front posts from rear facing mode in basically the same spot, but raises the rear of the seat. If you hold the front of the car seat down and raise the rear of the seat 1.75" this should be what the adjuster will do.

2. Diono advertises 4"-6" improvement in front seat room. You could put the seat in and see if adding that amount will be enough to help.

Here is their install video to give you an idea of how it installs. Note that child must have head control to use it, but I am guessing you have that covered given the ages you mentioned.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
277 Posts
A few photos in case they help.

Angle of the photos makes it look like it is touching front seat but there is a small gap.

Reactions: MamaBee

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am right at 6'. I keep the rear facing seat behind the passenger side. However, I double checked and my passenger seat sits just a touch farther back than my normal driving position so it would work behind me at 6' tall. If you want to get a rough idea of if the adjuster will work there are two things you could check. The angle puts the back of the Diono where it is in line with the headrest on my seats instead of the setback.

1. Put the seat in rear facing, but not fully tight. The adjuster keeps the two front posts from rear facing mode in basically the same spot, but raises the rear of the seat. If you hold the front of the car seat down and raise the rear of the seat 1.75" this should be what the adjuster will do.

2. Diono advertises 4"-6" improvement in front seat room. You could put the seat in and see if adding that amount will be enough to help.

Here is their install video to give you an idea of how it installs. Note that child must have head control to use it, but I am guessing you have that covered given the ages you mentioned.

Thank you so much for all of your help, you've been awesome! I was worried if she was the appropriate height and weight for the adjuster, but if all she needs it head and neck control we will be totally fine. I'm going to test out the seat again as soon as my husband gets home in the manners you suggested, really hoping this adjuster is the solution to our problem.

To anyone else reading this, I will post an update on how this works out.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
277 Posts
Thank you so much for all of your help, you've been awesome! I was worried if she was the appropriate height and weight for the adjuster, but if all she needs it head and neck control we will be totally fine. I'm going to test out the seat again as soon as my husband gets home in the manners you suggested, really hoping this adjuster is the solution to our problem.

To anyone else reading this, I will post an update on how this works out.
I am happy to help. I know the struggles of finding a car seat that works after my last car (struggled to find anything that fit rear facing; the one that worked rear facing did not work front facing). I have 2 kids, but have owned 4 different styles of car seats and 8 seats total thanks to the fitment issues on that car. Luckily the ones that did not work for me were given to grandparents since they fit well in their vehicles.

I just realized this thread was your first post and that you joined today. Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing if this works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you! My outback is actually my first Subaru! I wanted to size down from my gigantic Suburban lol. Going into this, I knew I was going to need to find seats that were designed to sit 3 across on a standard back seat, but I didn't even consider how much more room the rear facing seats need because in the suburban it was never an issue. The great news is that the Diono is going to work out just fine behind the passenger seat with the adjuster. I'm still trying to decide what seats to get my bigger kids since they are about ready to graduate to boosters, maybe the Diono Everett NXT...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts