Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering bringing back my 2008 Subaru Impreza to Canada when I retire. It has DRLs and 8kmph bumpers but REQUIRES a Kilometer primary speedometer. I checked the Transport Canada and RIV websites and it says that 2008 Impreza's built after September 01/07 are admissable. My vehicle was manufactured 10/07 so should be admissible.

My question is anyone aware of how to convert the speedometer/odometer to Kilometers? If it involves changing the cluster that can be a significant cost due to the immobilizer encoding.

Just trying to get some insight. The local dealers here (in the US) have no idea on how to make this change. The RIV website says take the car to Canadian Tire for conversion. Not much help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why bother, 100 kph = 62 mph and 50 kph = 31 mph. Just learn to convert your speed mentally or mark your speedometer with a marker for city, highway and freeway speeds. Change your oil at the same MILEAGE. BTW you can't use pennies in the parking meters.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the conversion. The requirements to import a US vehicle into Canada Require the vehicle to have a Primary speedometer in KMs. US spec vehicles have MPH as primary

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think you need PRIMARY in KM, I've seen lots of cars of all makes imported with primary in MILES, even the odd RHD. If you have MILES/kms you should be OK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That location is about 3 mi or 5 km from where I live, but I don't know anything about them.
As I mentioned earlier I don't believe you need KM as PRIMARY, as long as you have both. If I'm wrong then you have a service location.

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
I understand the conversion. The requirements to import a US vehicle into Canada Require the vehicle to have a Primary speedometer in KMs. US spec vehicles have MPH as primary
I agree with the others in that, as far as I can tell, there's no requirement to change the speedometer as long as it indicates in both kilometers and miles.

From Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) - Transport Canada

Speedometers and Odometers
(4) A speedometer shall indicate the speed of the vehicle in kilometres per hour or in kilometres per hour and miles per hour. The unit or units of measurement shall be identified on the speedometer or at a location adjacent to it.

(5) A speedometer shall be illuminated whenever the vehicle’s propulsion system and headlamps are activated, unless the headlamps are being flashed for signalling purposes or are being operated as daytime running lamps.

(6) An odometer or trip odometer shall indicate distances in kilometres or in miles. If the distances are indicated in miles, that unit of measurement shall be identified at a location adjacent to the odometer or trip odometer.

Of course, this alone doesn't preclude the possibility that some other regulation says otherwise. Perhaps provide a link to the source of that "primary metric" requirement.

Incidentally, https://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndInspectionRequirements.aspx indicates "metric speedometer", but if you click on that, it takes you to the above document.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your biggest headache might be insurance. Don't cancel your existing insurance until you insure and register in Ontario.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the others in that, as far as I can tell, there's no requirement to change the speedometer as long as it indicates in both kilometers and miles.

From Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) - Transport Canada

Speedometers and Odometers
(4) A speedometer shall indicate the speed of the vehicle in kilometres per hour or in kilometres per hour and miles per hour. The unit or units of measurement shall be identified on the speedometer or at a location adjacent to it.

(5) A speedometer shall be illuminated whenever the vehicle’s propulsion system and headlamps are activated, unless the headlamps are being flashed for signalling purposes or are being operated as daytime running lamps.

(6) An odometer or trip odometer shall indicate distances in kilometres or in miles. If the distances are indicated in miles, that unit of measurement shall be identified at a location adjacent to the odometer or trip odometer.

Of course, this alone doesn't preclude the possibility that some other regulation says otherwise. Perhaps provide a link to the source of that "primary metric" requirement.

Incidentally, https://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndInspectionRequirements.aspx indicates "metric speedometer", but if you click on that, it takes you to the above document.
Funny I clicked on that link and didn't find what you posted, thanks.

IRRC the Primary KM requirement was something someone else posted somewhere but I don't remember. I did find a place in St Catherines, ON that does the Speedometer conversions so if I need to do it I will just go there. Apparently after you import the vehicle they send you a letter of what modifications need to be done.

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
Funny I clicked on that link and didn't find what you posted, thanks.

IRRC the Primary KM requirement was something someone else posted somewhere but I don't remember. I did find a place in St Catherines, ON that does the Speedometer conversions so if I need to do it I will just go there. Apparently after you import the vehicle they send you a letter of what modifications need to be done.
I wasn't clear on where that paragraph is found.

In the RIV document, click on Metric Speedometer. That opens "Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038)". On the first page, click on "2.1 Metric or Imperial System". That opens the full text of CRC c.1038. (Here's that link: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1038/FullText.html#s-2.1.) Scroll down to "Speedometers and Odometers".

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks plain, I finally found it. Seems like it can be subject to interpretation depending on who you get to deal with your paperwork.

It says can be Kilometer or Kilometers and Miles. Hopefully in a couple of years the Niagara Speedometer place will still be available. There is a company in Michigan that specializes in putting MPH speedometers in cars imported with Kilometer only speedos.

A long time ago a friend tried to bring in his Canadian spec'd Volvo and he was told by the US side that it had to have a MPH speedometer. He knew a graphics guy that made him a decal to overlay his kilometer speedo with MPH markings. Had no issue bringing it in then

·
Registered
76 Posts
As long as the speedo shows both km and miles, you are good to go... no conversion required. In my neighbourhood (close to the US border), folks have been known to drive to New Hampshire, buy from a US dealer and save $$$. No problem at all importing the car as long as it fits into the date brackets. Cdn Tire inspection is very perfunctory and the fastest few hundred bucks their service dept ever earned for placing a sticker near the odometer.

The insurance problem can be dicey and should be ironed out ahead of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts