Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm building some pretty cool custom headlights, but have some questions for you gurus. I am wanting to use LEDS for the turn signals, but am not sure if I need to add resistors to eliminate dash error or fast blinking? Any help would be so wonderful!
Chris

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Yo Chris!

I'm running LED turn signals and what I did was replace the flasher relay. Resistors are more cumbersome and get hot, etc. The relay is located behind the dash to the left of the steering column.

I *think* this is the one I have (don't remember), but you can try and confirm with V-Leds.
TOYOTA ELECTRONIC 4 LED FLASHER BLINKER TURN SIGNAL FIX B/O

BTW, I'm running their Triton leds in brake lights and rear turn signals (both in red). Holy cow these are what everybody has been wanting! - an LED that is as bright or brighter than stock. They're pricey but I did get 35% off on one set. When they have a sale it's good to take advantage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo Chris!

I'm running LED turn signals and what I did was replace the flasher relay. Resistors are more cumbersome and get hot, etc. The relay is located behind the dash to the left of the steering column.

I *think* this is the one I have (don't remember), but you can try and confirm with V-Leds.

BTW, I'm running their Triton leds in brake lights and rear turn signals (both in red). Holy cow these are what everybody has been wanting! - an LED that is as bright or brighter than stock. They're pricey but I did get 35% off on one set. When they have a sale it's good to take advantage.
You the man! Just picked one up off ebay for $10 :) I have to talk to you on the phone soon, for the appradio2 stuff....Cheers bro :)

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I was watching youtube vids on those lights, absolutely bright, but the price is up there, I am sure they are quality parts though.

Yo Chris!

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I was watching youtube vids on those lights, absolutely bright, but the price is up there, I am sure they are quality parts though.
They definitely feel like quality parts. I read a couple other car forums where people were anticipating these lights. The general consensus begun with skepticism but when members started getting the actual product installed in their cars, the proof was in the pudding. ...they're just soooo bright!

Now the only thing to do is wait to see how long they last (hopefully long).

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
I was ready to buy some lights until I looked at the shipping, if I spend $4.99 the shipping is free but if I spend $20.00 I have to pay for shipping? I am scared to deal with folks that screwed-up in the head!!

Vince

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was ready to buy some lights until I looked at the shipping, if I spend $4.99 the shipping is free but if I spend $20.00 I have to pay for shipping? I am scared to deal with folks that screwed-up in the head!!

Vince
Consider that they are shipping more weight, not making more profit.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
Yo Chris!

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to order the red for my brake lights and amber for the rear turn signals, with the flasher upgrade of course.

Can you post a video or photo of yours with the red rear turn signals please?

Thanks,

Hoppy

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to order the red for my brake lights and amber for the rear turn signals, with the flasher upgrade of course.

Can you post a video or photo of yours with the red rear turn signals please?

Thanks,

Hoppy
Sure, I'll try to shoot something as soon as I can.

I thought about staying with amber for the turn signals, but I changed to red just for change's sake.

A word of caution about using V3 bulbs in our rear turn signals - they stick out a little too far because of the gigantic heat sink attached to them. You will not be able to mount the tail light back on without a slight modification.

The mod (if you can call it a mod) is simple. Notice that the heat sink is black/red or black/amber The black part and the colored part of the heat sink are two separate pieces. I had to leave the colored portion off in order to get the tail lights assemblies back on the car. I'm doing this at my own risk, but since these lights are only used as blinkers, I think I can get away with it. I don't anticipate any heat related issues. but hey, I like to live dangerously :cool:.

Don't forget to look for coupon codes. At the very least "NLCODE" will get you 5% off - works every time.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts

Vince
That's very strange. The website says free shipping on orders over $4.99. I've been buying lights from V-leds for at least a few years now. They're trustworthy in my book. My only knock is that I asked for a discount once and was denied. It doesn't hurt to ask and many places will knock off a little bit if you just ask. It's better to at least feel like you're getting some kind of a deal. It's not a huge deal because V-Leds has frequent sales. (10%, 15%, 20%, and once 35%!) Their Facebook page will show any current coupon codes.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
So you were able to keep the red part on for the rake bulbs, correct?

Did you use the aforementioned flasher instead of the load-resistor module, or in addition to?

Did you need to adjust the length for best brightness, or full in or out?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
So you were able to keep the red part on for the rake bulbs, correct?

Did you use the aforementioned flasher instead of the load-resistor module, or in addition to?

Did you need to adjust the length for best brightness, or full in or out?

Thanks again!
I was able to keep the red part on for the brake light bulbs - that wasn't a problem.

I used the flasher module instead of the load resistor method. It's a much cleaner installation.

I have not played with "focusing" the bulbs. I currenly have them in the fully in position.

Photos incoming...

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
320 Posts
Yo Chris!

Did you have trouble installing them? I'm having trouble to try to put them on with the washer on another vehicle. Maybe there is a trick that I'm missing. They are way brighter than the previous generation from V-leds, which was way brighter than anything else that I tried (from different suppliers).:29:

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
OK, requested pictures... Keep in mind that taking photos of lights is always a tricky proposition. Even dim lights can look good in photos. I didn't break out either of my manual cameras to keep the exposure in control. I just used my phone camera. In all truth, these lights are at least as bright as the stock bulbs they replaced.

The kit comes with the bulbs, adapter (7440 style in our case), two sets of screws (to simulate the bulb's mounting tabs), dielectric grease, shrink tubing, zip ties, an assortment of gaskets, and a sticker. :D

Here is the the installation inside the tail light assembly. Notice how the red part of the turn signal heat sink (lower bulb) is not screwed onto the bulb. You will not be able to mount the assembly back on the car with it in place. What I did here was zip tie this piece onto the wires to hold it back. You can probably pull it off completely, but I already had the wire harness attached with heat shrink tubing, and I didn't want to disassemble it.

photo of the brake lights applied:

Video of left blinker:

Video of the turn signals when I press the key fob. They blinked fast because I had the hatch open.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Did you have trouble installing them? I'm having trouble to try to put them on with the washer on another vehicle. Maybe there is a trick that I'm missing. They are way brighter than the previous generation from V-leds, which was way brighter than anything else that I tried (from different suppliers).:29:
No trouble installing them. I used the thinnest gasket provided. It allowed me to push and turn the bulb for a nice tight fit. If none of the other gaskets work for you may be able to use the one that was on the original socket.

Glad that you too have noticed that these bulbs put all the others to shame.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
320 Posts
No trouble installing them. I used the thinnest gasket provided. It allowed me to push and turn the bulb for a nice tight fit. If none of the other gaskets work for you may be able to use the one that was on the original socket.

Glad that you too have noticed that these bulbs put all the others to shame.
I will give a try again on the weekend outside the garage, supposed to be "warmer" ~ 50 on Sunday. I was using the thinnest gasket; there is no gasket on the original socket. How many screws (tab simulators) did you end up using? I would hate to not been able to use them. Nothing else compares, “sitting” close to the focal point in the light housing like an incandescent bulb does helps to focus the light also. :29:

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I will give a try again on the weekend outside the garage, supposed to be "warmer" ~ 50 on Sunday. I was using the thinnest gasket; there is no gasket on the original socket. How many screws (tab simulators) did you end up using? I would hate to not been able to use them. Nothing else compares, “sitting” close to the focal point in the light housing like an incandescent bulb does helps to focus the light also. :29:
I ended up using two screws 180 degrees apart from each other. I inserted the fixture so that the screws would go into the two wider slots in the receptacle. It takes a pretty firm push to squish the gasket and then a twist to lock it in.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

All the info and pics did the trick, now I fully understand. It turns out that VLEDS is about 90 minutes north of me, so I'll head up there in a week or so, when the amber version is in stock.

Are you going with LED's in the inner tail only portion too?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

All the info and pics did the trick, now I fully understand. It turns out that VLEDS is about 90 minutes north of me, so I'll head up there in a week or so, when the amber version is in stock.

Are you going with LED's in the inner tail only portion too?
As far as the inner tail portion, I'm still waiting for an excellent 921 back up bulb. The V-Leds one looks like it's 90-95% there. I'll wait for the next generation. I'd take 5k over 6k - I prefer as close to pure white light as possible.

The rest of the bulbs (small 168 type) I think are fine for now. Since they don't do any blinking there really won't be much aesthetic difference between stock and LEDs. But I've always got my eyes open for an excuse to buy more.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
As far as the inner tail portion, I'm still waiting for an excellent 921 back up bulb. The V-Leds one looks like it's 90-95% there. I'll wait for the next generation. I'd take 5k over 6k - I prefer as close to pure white light as possible.

The rest of the bulbs (small 168 type) I think are fine for now. Since they don't do any blinking there really won't be much aesthetic difference between stock and LEDs. But I've always got my eyes open for an excuse to buy more.
When I'm up there I'll see what they have in 194/168 for those inner tails.

I picked up a high output "Cree" LED pair of backup bulbs off of eBay. They work really well, lighting up both the entire housing (so it's visible from the sides) and a good amount of light to the rear. This is what I used: 2X CREE Q5 Emitter 5W High Power 921 906 T15 T10 LED Reverse Backup Bulb C009 | eBay

*** One thing to know with the 194/168/921 sockets in our cars; when I first installed the LED bulbs and put them in the housing, the bulbs fell out inside the housing, as they weren't real tight in the sockets. After fishing them out (which was a major pain) I found where the socket has two small tabs inside the socket which need to be removed. I didn't take photos and it sounds more complex that it is, but I used an Exacto knife and simply trimmed them off. The standard bulbs still fit tightly, so there is no negative to doing this. After the slight modification the LED's fit tightly and all is well. Also, the socket disconnects from the wiring harness by pulling the two pieces apart, so it's easy to work on away from the car (and you're not working over your head on the tailgate, which always sucks)

Here is a pic of the finished product. I also installed some Philips Daylight 8 LEDs in the front, after disconnecting my OEM DRL's.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts