Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flushed and filled my cooling system on my 2000 OBW while doing the timing belt/water pump job a couple of months ago. I forgot all about the coolant conditioner. I added it yesterday (about two months after the flush and fill) and wondered if that was too late and I've already screwed something up or not? Or if it is better to put it in later than not at all? Or since I did not do it at the same time, I shouldn't have wasted the $2.60?

I also did not use the OEM Subaru coolant. But the green stuff was diluted 50/50 with distilled water.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
The coolant conditioner can be added at any time. Not having the conditioner doesn't mean the cooling system will fail due to its absence. (It's not like forgetting to refill the crankcase after draining the oil.)

Like many cooling system treatments, it's purpose (among several, depending on the formulation) is to seal tiny leaks that can develop. The conditioner doesn't prevent faults from developing; it only deals with them as they arise.

Some conditioners also contain lubricants that helps preserve the water pump seals, and some contain solutions to neutralize rust or deposit-forming chemicals that can develop in the coolant. But most good quality coolants (aka anti-freeze) have similar characteristics, and while any of these can become depleted over time, a couple of months is not going to matter.

The worst case might be if there was a tiny leak when you changed the coolant that the conditioner subsequently sealed, so there could have been a bit of coolant loss in the interim.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium, sold 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Limited
207 Posts
I faced the same issue. While doing the timing belt job, I had my coolant flushed and refilled with non Subaru 50/50 coolant. Two weeks later, I talked to a service advisor at a local Subaru dealership who recommended only using OEM Subaru coolant. He also recommended the Subaru coolant conditioner. I ended up buying both and repeated the flush and fill job. He said that's the only exception to the "buy Subaru brand fluids" rule. According to him, Subaru coolant and conditioner together can help extend the life of the original head gasket.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yes, just simply put it in later, you did the right thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts