Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech at Subaru told me that 90% of the 2.5L Head Gasket problems have been fixed with their conditioner they put in the cooling system. He said for all warrenty work with HG problems they are required to try it first.

Gimmick?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,013 Posts
Not so much a gimmick as a way for Subaru to buy themselves a little bit of time...

From what I can tell, it's not a sure-fire fix. It works great for some, doesn't do a thing for others. I think a lot of that has to do with how far along the failure has progressed before the additive is added.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I started off by replacing the thermostat, water pump, timing belt, and radiator. I have 122k miles.

I've had only two times the car has tried to heat up and that was the first part of the 240 miles I've driven since all the repairs listed above. It's gone over 100 miles no heating problem. I only drive short distances though.

Car heats up to normal temp pretty quick though.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
onedownfiveup said:
Well I started off by replacing the thermostat, water pump, timing belt, and radiator. I have 122k miles.

I've had only two times the car has tried to heat up and that was the first part of the 240 miles I've driven since all the repairs listed above. It's gone over 100 miles no heating problem. I only drive short distances though.

Car heats up to normal temp pretty quick though.
I'm definitely no expert on this, so I'll let you get some other replies!

One thing I will say is that I've heard a lot of people mention that when they did their timing belts at 105k, they simply had them change the head gaskets then too, as the engine was already in pieces, so it saved them the labor costs. It was more of a preventative maintenance type of thing. I know this doesn't really apply to you anymore because you already did your timing belt...sorry! But for anyone else who reads this thread...it's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did that statement apply to both 1st generation and 2nd generation Outbacks? It was my understanding that both have some reported HG issues, but not necessarily the same problem.

I've got a 1st gen with 92K miles and no problems thus far. If using the conditioner would mend or prolong the life of the head gasket, I'll look into it further for my Subie.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I touched base with my dealer in Denver, and he stated that the conditioner was beneficial to the external gasket leak issues (2nd Gen?), but not so much for the internal HG leaks. He said it obviously would provide some benefit in all cases, but that it's true "healing power" was for the external leaks.

·
Registered
'06 OBS SE
700 Posts
this may be a stupid question but i am new to the subaru world so please bear with me:

do we think this problem will efect all the new outbacks (i.e.2.5i, xt, l.l.bean etc) or just the xt?

and should i beconcerned about my 06 outback sport? i realize it is on the impreza platform but it has basicly if not the same engen.

i am only at 1200 miles so no oil change yet but when i do i will use mobile one synthedic. and why do you all change the oil at 1500 miles?

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
The Head Gasket problems only apply to vehicles manufactured between '96 and '01 (a few '02s maybe).

It's way too early to tell if the 3rd Generation Outbacks ("05+) will have HG issues, but it's pretty much certain that they won't. '03 and '04 were good solid years, and the new OBs have a redesigned engine, so everything should be good for you.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus ES 330 (mine) & my wife own's a 2003 Subaru Forester XS PP1 (Platinum Silver - Monotone)
212 Posts
karasek said:

It should be added everytime the fluid is changed.
If memory serves from my wife's owners manual.....that's every 2 years or 30k miles? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.