Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 OB had original head gaskets replaced by dealer in 2012. Getting ready to do timing belt service and replace coolant. I always use Subaru coolant but do I also need to add coolant conditioner? Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
it only helps with external seeps, drips. I have not read of problems with it when installed per directions. Could be good insurance in an older soob with aging hoses but, it won't help at all with major head gasket failures or big issues like a burst rad tank. It is re-badged Holts RadWeld leak stop.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Yes. It only mitigates external leaks though and works better with original gaskets, but it's not going to hurt anything on an otherwise healthy engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Now I remember watching some YouTube videos of Radweld in action. Reminds me of 1966 when I used to pump Bars Leaks into my 55 Chevy. Think I will leave it out.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
Yes. It only mitigates external leaks though and works better with original gaskets, but it's not going to hurt anything on an otherwise healthy engine.
"replaced by the dealer in 2012".....maybe with the same single layer black coated head gaskets.

...as a few dealers like serving up spoiled milk.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
I always use the Subaru Coolant Conditioner, any time I change coolant on any Subaru. It's cheap, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and it's never caused any problems for me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
67 Posts
I always use the Subaru Coolant Conditioner, any time I change coolant on any Subaru. It's cheap, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and it's never caused any problems for me.
This. Supposedly required by Subaru. I'm on my way to get some as I need to drain the radiator to do a timing belt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This. Supposedly required by Subaru. I'm on my way to get some as I need to drain the radiator to do a timing belt.
Me too Rich. How do you plan to hold crank pulley to remove and torque bolt? I might remove radiator so I can use my new Aircat 1150.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
67 Posts
Me too Rich. How do you plan to hold crank pulley to remove and torque bolt? I might remove radiator so I can use my new Aircat 1150.
In the past I've wrapped a strap band around the pulley, which was good for >100 ft-lbs. It was also on a 2.2L, so we'll see. Getting off with an impact wrench is easy.

I guess you don't need to remove the radiator? If you have to drain it antway to remove the upper hose, then it would seem not much more work to remove the radiator for more room.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Holts Radweld works on a COMPLETELY different chemical principle from Bars Leakstop. Bars is the old style fiber and paste filler. It plugs things up - leaks and radiator tubes. Holts has some fiber in it too, but the main ingredient is Borax. It dissolves in coolant, but forms a glassy crystal in the damaged fibers of the gasket when it dry out in the hot confined space. It essentially 'repairs' the gasket.

Use it! Your service manual likely says so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts