Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local garage might charge me as much as $420 for a coolant flush + new coolant & new spark plugs for a 07 2.5 Outback. I thought this sounded high so I called 3 local Subaru dealers - one quoted $230!! The others quoted $360 and $400. How much have you paid for this service? Is 420 too high??? thanks!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
$80-$100 for coolant replacement

$200 for plugs and wires must be NGK plugs or the shop owes you a free full service and plug replacement in a week. You might find cheaper or could do it your self for much cheaper but ^ those prices are pretty fair

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
90K. This garage is very well respected - knowledgeable & honest with excellent reviews, it just seemed on the high side, especially with a dealer quoting $230!!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
90K. This garage is very well respected - knowledgeable & honest with excellent reviews, it just seemed on the high side, especially with a dealer quoting $230!!
Coolant flush doesn't require a high end garage - any privately owned quickie change place with good customer feedback can do the coolant job with virtually zero risk.

Plugs on the 2.5 are a little bit of a pain in the ass to do. I did mine at 99K at the dealer $199 for wires and plugs. I kept the plugs and after looking at them should have run them till 120K. LOL A package deal service you need to have them split out the individual jobs and don't hesitate to say listen I like your shop I want you to do the plugs - but get the coolant flush down to $80 and I'll set up the appointment right now.

Shops that simply quote package deal services pack a bunch of extra into their estimate for multiple things. Given they can hide it easier - but once you have them call out each service item cost - you can negotiate!!! Yes you can negotiate the price!!!

I get 15-30% knocked off dealer parts costs on all my repairs every time!!! Though there have been times I've had to stick to it and go over their work order to catch the padding they slip in.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I personally would make sure my coolant is replaced with Subaru brand, along with the coolant conditioner if called for. And don't let them hook it up to a machine to flush it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
Sounds pretty steep to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my plugs ( $48.00, ngk iridium) and plug wires (from subaru) $50.00 and had then installed at a local shop for $45.00! Do the same and save $$$

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I purchased my plugs ( $48.00, ngk iridium) and plug wires (from subaru) $50.00 and had then installed at a local shop for $45.00! Do the same and save $$$
All depends on where you live. Around my hood the yard guys charge $300 and up for two mow and blow's a month. Roughly 30minutes of work. Doesn't help that we have a high end sports car or sedan parked in nearly every driveway. They see the cars and the price just went up $200. LOL

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
I had a coolant change at a local Subaru dealer for $100. OEM coolant and the conditioner.

Plugs (NGK) and wires (Subaru) I did myself. Took me about 2 hours, but some of that was working on rusted bolts for the intake to get some room. All things considered, one of the easier engine I've worked on for plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts