Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0r L. L. Bean, 2012 Outback 3.6R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
No, sadly, I haven't solved it. I've got some ideas for this coming year and how I'll go about attempting to resolve the overheating thing but if I'm honest, we've (wife and I) shifted gears, got her a new daily and am looking at turning the Outbean into a new project. Tentatively, the plan is to swap engine/trans like you did, clean up the interior and exterior and let it go.

I want to see the overheating thing threw to the end though. Not just for myself, but for the community. Maybe it's foolish, but we've only got a few more things to try (rad and another key element) before we're going to be forced to admit it's internal or otherwise out of reach unless the engine comes apart and gets torn down--something I plan to do if we can't resolve it.

If we fix or remedy the "overheating" I still plan to pull that engine out regardless, so.. yeah. We'll see how things pan out and how the weather cooperates, or doesn't, with the timeline of me getting around to that project.

Out Standing being willing to do the job to resolve the issue so its known here! A truly Magnanimous gesture! I hope you find it. I am still interested in knowing.

One thing I never mentioned when I did the swap... the vacuum connection (for brake vacuum) on the JDM motor I installed is on the passenger side and while there is a squared headed plug on the left side, closest to the vacuum assist on the brakes, I could not get the plug out... I was afraid I would break the intake... so I just went with a longer line to the other side of the motor. Just an FYI...

Sorry so long to reply. Sorta scrambling here... got notified that I am getting furloughed from my current part time teaching job... Covid-19 hitting hard everywhere... It was a total blindside.... was told multiple times no worries, money is there, we will all be paid etc, etc... told that as recently as last Wed, 4-01-20. Guess it was an April Fools day prank, They told some 10 of us, on Thursday we would no longer get paid... still have a job, but no $$.. No one was laughing. But... I think we (my family) will be ok. I can maybe pound a few more nails, or turn a wrench for some $$...Sad thing is I think the school may have to close. I Filed for the doll...I never had to do that, I paid in for 45 years might as well get some back. That will help at least for a bit.

So I still plan to pull the plugs from my old motor and see if any are steamed cleaned indicating an bad head gasket... I will report back. I will have the time now. LOL....johnre and l lucky texan suggested doing this, it will be good intel for me too.

Looking back at your pics @aesthetic.rake I like that engine stand you have.. bet it rolls easier than mine... my engine hoist does not move well at all under load.. do any of them? LOL

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,205 Posts
Sorry for your troubles man. The world is sort of in shambles right now huh?

The JDM engine having the brake booster vacuum hose on the other side is pretty well known. I don't know what kind of glue they set those plugs in there with but I need some of it for other projects.. haha.

My engine stand and hoist roll well. The engine stand, for whatever reason, doesn't fit in between the legs of the engine hoist which is stupid. I don't know why they can't design them to fit together. This last engine pull I got smart and put a swiveling hook in place of the chain on the hoist. I did have to make some modifications to the arm of the hoist to get it to fit but man, it made it all so much easier.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Sorry for your troubles man. The world is sort of in shambles right now huh?

The JDM engine having the brake booster vacuum hose on the other side is pretty well known. I don't know what kind of glue they set those plugs in there with but I need some of it for other projects.. haha.

My engine stand and hoist roll well. The engine stand, for whatever reason, doesn't fit in between the legs of the engine hoist which is stupid. I don't know why they can't design them to fit together. This last engine pull I got smart and put a swiveling hook in place of the chain on the hoist. I did have to make some modifications to the arm of the hoist to get it to fit but man, it made it all so much easier.
Thanks Sir, i appreciate your words... Yes the world we live in will be forever changed by all of this. Its gonna be our first Easter w/o family... sad about that... maybe a zoom Easter? LOL

My wife is a teacher too... the public school system went out on 3/13/20. No one knew for how long... so then our Gov... Hogan.... sets the day to end as 4-24-20. None of us think that will happen... and because of that they ramped up the on line learning for some 20k kids... Any way, lots of issues wth that, LOTS! Public is angry that its taken so long... dont like teachers getting paid for doing nothing etc... My wife is on the computer for the whole day...zoom meetings, softeware training.. etc... I was too... being in the classroom is way easier, and I think better... Not even sure if schools will open up on time in the fall. VA closed for the year weeks ago... they got that right I think.. makes for better planning etc... Again, things are forever different...

My engine hoist is good and solid and can lift way more than I need it for. I have tried to fix the wheels...considered new ones, but didnt do that yet... That swivel on the hook is genius... it seems like no matter how well/ square etc you hook the engine the thing wants to spin... and for the ability to turn it around when you need to hook the motor to a stand, even better... Gonna look at that on mine too. Thanks..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Ok, Engine and trans seem to be working great! But...

I have not driven this car due to well, no place to go or job to go to... Sooo... I took it to the hardware store about 3 miles away and upon return I just wanted to look at things under the hood... look for smoking etc... When I opened the hood, I notice that the top radiator hose, driver's side, brand new by the way, was bulging. I mean the hose was ready to blow... Like the tire on the Three Stooges car. I did not touch it or do much more except close the hood gently...

Next couple days, get a new hose and I swap it out. Pics below show the failure. So my concern is that there is an issue or was it just a bad hose? Prior to the engine/trans swap, the passenger side top hose blew. But it was fine after the hose was replaced for several months. All the hoses were new as of swap.... new radiator, etc. I am thinking just a bad hose, but never ever had that happen in any car I have ever had. Why did not not blow buy the cap?

Also, cked the plugs on old motor, no steam cleaning going on. Pic below...

While I am not sorry that I changed the motor and trans, 227k, lots of miles, leaked oil badly, lots of rust on metal coolant lines etc... Was it a bad head gasket? I gotta say yes. I sure think it was pushing coolant out of the radiator and out the over flow tank... Always wet when driving in hot summer... so like @aesthetic.rake said, could have been a failure that was waiting to get bad, but was just happening at higher temps etc...

May be some time before I can get any miles on this so time will tell...

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,205 Posts
I can't see the pictures. They link to gmail. Maybe upload them here if you can.

Are you using hoses from Autozone or something? Glad it's running well though!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
@aesthetic.rake
DOH.... Got them now I think... thx...

Gates hoses... none locally got them off amazon.... other two are fine....

Yes runs great, shifts great... good everything... really need to just drive it.... hope I can soon...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts
Next couple days, get a new hose and I swap it out. Pics below show the failure. So my concern is that there is an issue or was it just a bad hose? Prior to the engine/trans swap, the passenger side top hose blew. But it was fine after the hose was replaced for several months. All the hoses were new as of swap.... new radiator, etc. I am thinking just a bad hose, but never ever had that happen in any car I have ever had. Why did not not blow by the cap?
Are you using a Subaru radiator cap?

The amount of bulge you saw in the relatively new hose is the amount of expansion needed when it gets hot that would normally be pushed out into the overflow tank. If that didn't happen, then maybe it's the cap. The hose will bulge wherever it's weakest, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem with the hose.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,391 Posts
check that the little o'flow hose is not blocked.

is the rad new? I read once of a guy that got a new rad, and the orifice for the tube's outlet was undrilled in the rad's neck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Are you using a Subaru radiator cap?

The amount of bulge you saw in the relatively new hose is the amount of expansion needed when it gets hot that would normally be pushed out into the overflow tank. If that didn't happen, then maybe it's the cap. The hose will bulge wherever it's weakest, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem with the hose.
I am pretty sure it is a subbie cap. When I replaced the radiator, I remember getting a subbie cap, but it will ck to make sure I put that one on. In this case... hose was toast... see pics above...The bulge was not at all normal. It was ready to burst... Thanks johnre for the input...

check that the little o'flow hose is not blocked.

is the rad new? I read once of a guy that got a new rad, and the orifice for the tube's outlet was undrilled in the rad's neck.
I will ck that the over flow tube is open, and drilled out, but pretty sure it is, thanks for the idea...

I drove it for about an hr, yesterday, half hr each way. I popped the hood in the middle where I stopped for a while and all looked ok. Looked in the over flow tank, and that seemed at the correct level. Could be I just got a bad hose???

Thanks for the thoughts! Appreciate it...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts
In this case... hose was toast... see pics above...The bulge was not at all normal. It was ready to burst...
Yes, clearly, it's toast now. The time frame for my comment that "it's not necessarily a problem with the hose" was prior to this happening, meaning it could have been peripheral damage.

Could be I just got a bad hose???
That's possible; the checks outlined by Texan will tell you.

When it warmed up on your drive yesterday, did the level in the overflow tank increase, then decrease again when it cooled down? It's very noticeable when working properly. If you didn't notice this, mark the level beforehand the next time you drive, then check it again when fully warmed up and then again when cooled.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
When it warmed up on your drive yesterday, did the level in the overflow tank increase, then decrease again when it cooled down? It's very noticeable when working properly. If you didn't notice this, mark the level beforehand the next time you drive, then check it again when fully warmed up and then again when cooled.
[/QUOTE]

I did not ck coolant reservoir when I got back home... I will do that next time... I did look at the hose when I got home and it was normal looking... Its clear because of the almost burst hose that something happened...So i will pay attention... There were virtually no miles on the first hose, so not sure if it was a bad hose or if there was a blockage.... and then the hose was caused to fail...

Did not mean to imply you didnt know what you were talking about johnre, sorry it it sounded that way... I guess I was thinking that the hose was bad when I installed it... but I am thinking you all are right, it could have been something else too. I will look at those items...I put this new radiator in the car a while prior to the swap. I did not have any hose problems, but the car still had an issue with coolant which I attributed to a bad head gasket... to be continued.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
2 Posts
So do you have an update? How is the car running now? My son's subie is in a similar condition with a "bad HG"? we have a misfire and exhaust vapors in the radiator. We are about to pull the trigger on a jdm h6....

121 - 135 of 135 Posts