Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I had by '10 OB, 66,xxx miles, up in the NC mountains for some skiing. I noticed the sweet smell of antifreeze burning when I got out from driving a time or two. I had a shop take a look Tuesday and they said they didn't see obvious leaks but the radiator was low and they saw "staining" around the left front cylinder. I have an extended warranty through Subaru and so I took it to the dealer to have it gone over. Said they filled it full of antifreeze and let it run for 30 minutes at idle and also revving it, and the levels did not change. They also said they didn't see any obvious leaks. I had them do a pressure and leak down test and they said this showed nothing as well and everything was performing normal. Anybody had a similar experience or have any ideas? Could harder driving in the mountains have caused it to just burn up antifreeze? It has shown no performance issues and has not had the burning smell since. Never seen a drop on the pavement either.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
When was the last time you checked the reservoir level?<O:p</O:p
Engines do use/lose coolant.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked it yesterday after driving around probably 15-20 miles. Radiator was 100% full, overflow was sitting dead on the L mark. Have not checked today.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
This past weekend I had by '10 OB, 66,xxx miles, up in the NC mountains for some skiing.
It's possible your you radiator was too full and the excess boiled out. It's possible the water pump or cooling system is under preforming.

I would take it up the mountain again and see what happens under the same conditions (weight, roof carrier, speeds). If your car is over heating going up a pass in the winter you'll have problems this summer for sure.

My first thought is you have nothing to worry about, but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible your you radiator was too full and the excess boiled out. It's possible the water pump or cooling system is under preforming.

I would take it up the mountain again and see what happens under the same conditions (weight, roof carrier, speeds). If your car is over heating going up a pass in the winter you'll have problems this summer for sure.

My first thought is you have nothing to worry about, but it's worth checking.

The mountains are a few hours away and won't have the opportunity to get back there soon. I tried to replicate the situation of sorts yesterday to see what would happen. Mine has the manumatic or whatever you want to call it where you can shift the gears yourself with the steering wheel paddle shifters. On my way home from work yesterday on the interstate, I drove in lower gears at highway speeds, keeping the RPM level between 4-5k rpm the whole time with just a few exceptions. This was probably about a 25-30 min drive. I figured this would get the engine quite hot and if there was a problem with cooling it would show up pretty easily with a consistent hard drive. Got home and had no antifreeze smell and levels maintained in the radiator.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Some terminology is unclear here.<O:p</O:p
What is ‘staining around the left front cylinder’?
You don’t check the radiator, it’s always full unless it empties the reservoir. And neither do you check the radiator/cap when the engine is hot.<O:p</O:p
The coolant level in the reservoir should be in Full with engine cold, and rises with engine hot. If the dealer ‘filled it full of antifreeze’, and ‘after driving around probably 15-20 miles. Radiator was 100% full, overflow was sitting dead on the L mark’ it should’ve been at least at the Full mark.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
824 Posts
Anti-Freeze Formulation

Since we are on the subject of anti-freeze consumption and anti-freeze overflow tank level, here is a tangential question.

I seem to recall that the manual and threads here state that we can only use a Subie formulation anti-freeze. Is there any aftermarket formulation that mixes or can be used after a flush and fill instead of the Subie branded stuff?:confused:

No Peak or Prestone?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
There is, but you lose the Subaru blue ‘lifetime’ coolant interval.<O:p</O:p
So if you use 3rd party green/any-color, you go by its properties/interval. Same with any time/emergency you mix with other than, you will never regain (regardless how many times you flush) the blue lifetime/interval.<O:p</O:p
But the question is, why use other than the blue?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
This past weekend I had by '10 OB, 66,xxx miles, up in the NC mountains for some skiing. I noticed the sweet smell of antifreeze burning when I got out from driving a time or two. I had a shop take a look Tuesday and they said they didn't see obvious leaks but the radiator was low and they saw "staining" around the left front cylinder. I have an extended warranty through Subaru and so I took it to the dealer to have it gone over. Said they filled it full of antifreeze and let it run for 30 minutes at idle and also revving it, and the levels did not change. They also said they didn't see any obvious leaks. I had them do a pressure and leak down test and they said this showed nothing as well and everything was performing normal. Anybody had a similar experience or have any ideas? Could harder driving in the mountains have caused it to just burn up antifreeze? It has shown no performance issues and has not had the burning smell since. Never seen a drop on the pavement either.
I've topped up my 2010 once we are at 48K now. And are in CA with lots of long hot Mt climbs during the summers. I put probably about 20oz in it. My mom's prior car a Nissan Altima right around 32K started needing to get topped up about every two months dealer couldn't find anything then the coolant started needing topping up every month or so and we finally found the cause. A very small weld in one of the radiator cooling tubes that was failing or not really done correctly and gradually got worse. Dealer spotted it on the 4th visit for the coolant issue and Nissan replaced it for us. It happens - keep a close eye on it check it every week only takes a minute to take a quick peak. If after a month or two your not seeing any change then it could have been a fluke. If the system is leak free it shouldn't matter too much if your just driving around town vs headed up the mountain

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
824 Posts
There is, but you lose the Subaru blue ‘lifetime’ coolant interval.<o:p</o
So if you use 3rd party green/any-color, you go by its properties/interval. Same with any time/emergency you mix with other than, you will never regain (regardless how many times you flush) the blue lifetime/interval.<o:p</o
But the question is, why use other than the blue?<o:p</o

There is no reason except price and convenience of not having to deal with a dealership. Is it lifetime or 100k? I do not recall. That said, going to buy a gallon at the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some terminology is unclear here.<O:p</O:p
What is ‘staining around the left front cylinder’?
You don’t check the radiator, it’s always full unless it empties the reservoir. And neither do you check the radiator/cap when the engine is hot.<O:p</O:p
The coolant level in the reservoir should be in Full with engine cold, and rises with engine hot. If the dealer ‘filled it full of antifreeze’, and ‘after driving around probably 15-20 miles. Radiator was 100% full, overflow was sitting dead on the L mark’ it should’ve been at least at the Full mark.<O:p</O:p

Hi,

I am not sure what the "staining" meant exactly. That was a description that came from an independent shop. This shop also showed me that the radiator itself was low on coolant. I didnt check the radiator directly after the drive. Knew better than that. Sorry for the confusion. Like I said though, I took it to the dealer since I have an extended warranty on it. They did the cylinder pressure test and leak down test and said all was well. Any other thing that would be going on that one of these tests wouldn't show? Could it have just been that my raditor cap wasn't sealed all the way or slighly loose so it pushed fluid out while driving in the mountains?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it Normal? The Coolant Reservoir was full - right on the mark for my 2011 Legacy when it was new that was three years ago. I notice last week my Coolant Reservoir is empty. I own a 98 Toyota 4runner since new, have not change the coolant for the last 14 years and the Reservoir still sits in the middle of Max and Min.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy 2.5
450 Posts
The various Hondas I've owned previously never used coolant, regardless of various factors like driving conditions, miles, etc. This is my first Suby and I've had to add coolant roughly every six months to the reservoir since I bought it with 69k miles. I only put about 7k miles annually on this car, so I guess it's just a characteristic of these engines.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl
341 Posts
Since I live over 100 miles from a dealer, I keep a gallon of Subaru Coolant that is prediluted 50/50 by Subaru at the house. (Part Number SOA868V9270)

I have been watching my coolant and have plan to do a pressure check of the system if it drop lower than where it is. At present, it is right at the low mark on the reservoir.

According to the manual on page 11-18 for the 2010 Subaru Outback.

Check the coolant level at each fuel stop.

1. Check the coolant level on the outside of the reservoir while the engine is cool. (My engine is cold and has not run in a few days. Therefore, I cannot add any. I called service and ask them and they said it would level out and not to add any)

2. If the level is close to or lower than the "LOW" level mark, add coolant up to the "Full" level mark. (When it is hot I have seen it right at the full mark or just a little below it)

Allen

:)

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl
341 Posts
The various Hondas I've owned previously never used coolant, regardless of various factors like driving conditions, miles, etc. This is my first Suby and I've had to add coolant roughly every six months to the reservoir since I bought it with 69k miles. I only put about 7k miles annually on this car, so I guess it's just a characteristic of these engines.
I use to have a 2001 OB and it began to lose coolant. I had Subaru do a pressure test on it and it turn out a hose clamp was loose.

Never had any trouble after they fix it.

:)

Allen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts