Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Outback Limited. At 21,500 miles, I noticed the coolant cold level was below full and I filled it to a midge (1/8") above the full line. I've read several post on this topic, but wondering if the loss I'm experiencing is "normal". This picture shows my current level at 26,700. Thanks

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
My 2021 Outback Limited does the same thing since new ... so does my friends 2021 Forester Premium with the 2.5.

So far I'm just keeping an eye on it...

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,618 Posts
The overflow bottle will typically use around 1 cup full of coolant during the warmer months, less during the cooler months.

If the coolant is dropping from the full mark to the low mark in less than a month you have a coolant “weep” that you will need to find and fix. Typically a small weep like this will be at a radiator hose or heater hose connection.

Seagrass

Reactions: s615u613 and ArF193

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,665 Posts
My car's coolant level was delivered filled to half the distance between the fill and the full line. BTW, it should be filled to the FULL line when it is cold. My 2020 Limited 2.5 uses maybe the volume contained between the Fill and the FULL lines every 8K miles but there is a variable introduced from sometimes driving across the Arizona desert. This is only an estimate because the neck increases in diameter as it it goes up to the reservoir bowl. When I take over the coolant service I plan to raise the fill level above the FULL line to avoid ever seeing the warning light but without seeing overflow of the expansion tank. I will be using the Subaru brand coolant to supplement with the idea of going 11 years before the first change-out.

A rough estimate is when going up to running temperature from 10 deg C the overflow tank volume will increase by less than 0.36 liter or 0.38 qt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2001 Corvette and have only had to add a small amount of coolant once. Seems a bit odd that the level would go from high to low every 7,000 miles or so. Also guessing my Corvette runs hotter and certainly much faster that the Outback :) . In 50 years, never had a car in good shape "consume" coolant.

An answer from the dealership is like asking a wolf to inventory the chicken coup :devilish:. Maybe a design flaw???

Some Prestone coolants say it's good for all vehicles. Is Asian Blue a must?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I wouldn’t want to compromise the super coolant under normal circumstances. I usually have to add a small splash about once a year to keep it midway between full and low. The OEM coolant is cheap enough…

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,062 Posts
I have a 2020 Outback Limited. At 21,500 miles, I noticed the coolant cold level was below full and I filled it to a midge (1/8") above the full line. I've read several post on this topic, but wondering if the loss I'm experiencing is "normal". This picture shows my current level at 26,700. Thanks

View attachment 530577
Yes it's normal for an Outback, so normal that on the 20 they added that yellow line you see near the top. I have found that full cold is equivalent to that yellow line when the coolant expands into the overflow tank when you shut off a hot engine. Every 6K service my dealer has to add coolant, same on my 19 and now my 20. The yellow line they added on the 20 just makes it easier for the dealer to know how much to add when I'm in for service so that when I check it at home with a cold engine in the morning it's at the full mark.

As others have said, more evaporates away in hotter weather than in cold. Where yours is at in your picture up to the full mark is about the amount I have added to mine every 6K miles, which as you can see is about the same as the distance from the full mark to the yellow line.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,665 Posts
I have a 2001 Corvette and have only had to add a small amount of coolant once. Seems a bit odd that the level would go from high to low every 7,000 miles or so. Also guessing my Corvette runs hotter and certainly much faster that the Outback :) . In 50 years, never had a car in good shape "consume" coolant.

An answer from the dealership is like asking a wolf to inventory the chicken coup :devilish:. Maybe a design flaw???

Some Prestone coolants say it's good for all vehicles. Is Asian Blue a must?
I think my past vehicles had the high/low marks in the larger tank so a larger range of fluid was allowed. The Subaru, as you know, has these level marks in the feedtube which likely reduces the allowable volume range of coolant. My estimates suggest that a little overfill of the coolant in the reservoir may be worth being considered.
There could be a difference in vapor pressure between different formulations of coolant. I have not looked into this idea so I can't offer data either way.
Staying with Subaru coolant will increase the allowable time between coolant replacements, according to the manual. See page 486 of the manual. I plan to purchase Subaru brand coolant to extend the life of the coolant.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts