Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OB 2.5L Basic
224 Posts
Yes, my mechanic did do a pressure test I believe but I had to add coolant again this morning too. I don't see any leak either. But now I had a new problem with the car this morning. There was a vibration coming from under the car. I had a friend drive it and when he did the noise began to get louder and louder. No idea what could be causing it. Drove it back to my mechanic's shop and left it there for him to look at tomorrow. Gave him my warranty info too but if it is the head gasket I was already told by a Subaru dealer that the head gasket is not covered. I just want to get it looked at it again and I will probably end up trading it in on a new car and transfer the balance. I'll probably have a slightly higher car payment but I don't care. I need something dependable so I can get to work. I doubt I'll buy a Subaru. Who knows?
..Thanks for letting me know and Good Luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not good...

Just got back from the mechanic and they told me that there was coolant in the oil and it is definitely the head gasket. Looks like I will have to get ride of it because I am not blowing almost $2000 to get this fixed when I can put that same $2000 (which i con't have regardless) towards a new car.

Just checked Kelly Blue Book and the car is only worth around $4754 in "good" condition and $4,004 in "Fair." I'm sure I won't even get the "Fair" price from a dealership once they inspect it for a trade-in.

Man, I feel so used and abused. I had the car only 6 months and this happens.

From my understanding is it really wouldn't qualify as a "lemon" because the car isn't brand new right?

Not to mention that even if I went back to the original guy that sold me the car, what really would come out of that besides a lot of pointless yelling? He will just say that the car had high mileage to begin with so what should I expect?

Really frustrated and disappointed right now. :(

·
Registered
2001 OB 2.5L Basic
224 Posts
Just got back from the mechanic and they told me that there was coolant in the oil and it is definitely the head gasket. Looks like I will have to get ride of it because I am not blowing almost $2000 to get this fixed when I can put that same $2000 (which i con't have regardless) towards a new car.

Just checked Kelly Blue Book and the car is only worth around $4754 in "good" condition and $4,004 in "Fair." I'm sure I won't even get the "Fair" price from a dealership once they inspect it for a trade-in.

Man, I feel so used and abused. I had the car only 6 months and this happens.

From my understanding is it really wouldn't qualify as a "lemon" because the car isn't brand new right?

Not to mention that even if I went back to the original guy that sold me the car, what really would come out of that besides a lot of pointless yelling? He will just say that the car had high mileage to begin with so what should I expect?

Really frustrated and disappointed right now. :(
..its just not $2000...Kelly blue book is always higher then reality..so your trade-in price will depend on just how difficult that car can be auctioned off..anybody who knows anything about subarus will know, visually seeing that if those org. junk quality HG's have not been changed by the time the timing belt needs to be done..will be doing them shortly after..thus a very low price for your vehicle... I can say with near certainty, the price you would receive will be much, again, much lower then the blue book....coolant in the oil with no real way to determine if the crank or rod bearings have been compromised becomes another gamble for you...this story has happened before ...shortly after the HG replacement, the rod bearing goes.. perhaps the best option would be to replace the engine with a new/rebuilt..this way you get new HG, heads re-worked, timing components, warranty etc, and one day to install....do the math, try to relax, develop some perspective..sometimes starting over with a different vehicle digs the hole only deeper with a set of other problems...will be sending a PM

21 - 24 of 24 Posts