Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had an interesting thought. i know on most cars they run coolant through the throttle body to heat up incoming air to lessen emissions out of the tailpipe (the reason for MOST things on cars).

I was curious if anyone has bypassed the coolant in the TB. if so what effects, good or bad, did it have. any affects at all?

the reason i ask is i had a friend with a blown 5.0L mustang. we moved to AZ and due to the heat his intake temps went up and he had detonating problems. in addition to other things we first bypassed the TB coolant and that seemed to help! by cooling intake temps.

i realize its a ford and blown but the same theory may apply?

my main wonder is on our cars does the TB want to soak up heat (considering it sits dead center of the block) therefore the coolant would help cool? or does this still warm all incoming air to 200F or so at which point i would think that for someone with a CAI would want to bypass this to really make an intake air temp difference...

just a thought. i searched around and found no related threads. hoping to find someone to back me up or tell me I'm crazy! ha. either way a general consensus answer would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Different engine. he would probably also be helped by water injection to cool down the explosive charge.

Air coming in at high velocity (300 cfm ish) will cause a drop in air temp. The heating of the air charge keeps it consistant. It may be 200-230 degrees, but it is going through at such a high velocity it doesnt reach that temp (even at idle).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i have bypassed them for many years on Subaru's. there is no change though, i've never noticed any difference.

they are also intended to bring the throttle plate and mechanisms up to temp quick so they aren't cold and sticky. where i live we get below zero often enough at night and i've never had a problem.

i remove them on my personal vehicles simply to have fewer points of failure. less hoses, connections, and clamps to go bad. i don't go do this routinely or anything but when i have an engine out or doing work on something close to that area anyway - i remove those hoses.

i do not imagine they are meant to cool - i can't picture the throttle body getting up to 200 degrees without the coolant lines there.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Air coming in at high velocity (300 cfm ish) will cause a drop in air temp.
In relation to nipper's statement, I've always heard one of the purposes of the coolant lines was to prevent ice from forming ... which would be bad if it formed on the throttle plate and locked it into a fixed position.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I've always heard one of the purposes of the coolant lines was to prevent ice from forming ... which would be bad if it formed on the throttle plate and locked it into a fixed position.
as I just mentioned:
they are also intended to bring the throttle plate and mechanisms up to temp quick so they aren't cold and sticky. where i live we get below zero often enough at night and i've never had a problem.
never actually heard of a real world issue with the throttle plate sticking, nor have i had one, i suspect maybe it's for really cold climates or overkill.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome. thats what i was thinking too. just a curious idea.

nipper: i realize its a different engine and being blown an entire different animal. i
was merely using that as an example for where the theory/idea came from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.