Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Outback H6 2006
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello gents

I have my H6 OB 06' for a month now and I absolutely love it! Had a problem with it that I wanted to ask your opinion about:

I stepped on it hard for a quick session after a 40 min calm drive and my coolant blew up from the top cap of the expansion chamber, spraying everything around it on the engine bay. I assume a small quantity, I found it slightly opened, maybe was not closed properly? Some smoke came out after I stopped, maybe burnt coolant? Since then I have been careful and did not step on it so much and I still get burnt coolant smell after I stop. Water temp was always steady.

The strange thing is I watched the coolant level on it after i bought it and with a cold engine the coolant was one thumb above the full sign and it stayed like this even now, after the spray. With the engine warm and car stopped for a few minutes, the level is at slightly above the low mark.

I will visit my mechanic in a week.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,255 Posts
The level in the coolant overflow bottle is only reliable if the systems is in perfect condition. Even then, monitoring the level in the radiator is still recommended. If there is the slightest problem with the system, ONLY checking the radiator will be reliable. You can't really trust the o'flow bottle to reflect coolant system volume. Do not drive the car if the radiator is low.

You should be prepared for bad news but, it is possible for something like a failed radiator cap to give these symptoms.

·
Registered
Outback H6 2006
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove it for a week after that, running fine, except the slight burnt smell. Water temp is fine, thats why i did not worry about it. You made me worry now :(

Tomorrow I will check the radiator level, while engine is cold. Should I do it while its warm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts