Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a engine swap this weekend due to a bad head gasket and what coolant should I use and should I use a additive to it
And the bad part is the closest dealer is 45 minutes away

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Closest to OEM:
Pentofrost A2. Look at Advance and Autozone.
Peak OET Asian green. Autozone.

Next closest:
Zerex Asian. Most parts stores will carry.

Only additive I suggest is Subaru's conditioner. Can be found on Amazon.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
in any gen 2.

traditional green 50/50 mix. prestone, peat, whatever you want.

if you want to save a buck, get regular concentrate and add, distilled water to it from the water isle in a grocery store.

that and 1 4.4oz jug of subuaru coolant conditioner. =amazon.
but if you are trying to get it back together without, no big deal. just drain or siphon some later and add it in.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Three main choices: Subaru Genuine Coolant (Blue in Color)
Zerex Asian (Blue label Blue in Color) Very Hard to find in my area, tried all autoparts stores NAPA, Olympus, Advance etc
Peak Global Coolant (Gold Bottle Green in Color)
Since in the owners manual you can use the green stuff Peak is usually cheaper in price.

And always use the Coolant conditioner additive, it works.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Use Subaru coolant conditioner.

Resurface your heads. You can do it yourself, find the link, it's really easy. Or call around until you find a machine shop that isn't scared to resurface the heads without doing a complete valve job. If you have no idea where to start - you can ask Subaru dealer who they use. They rarely use machine shop services, most don't resurfaces heads, but they usually have a go to shop for those few times they have an outlier issue.

You don't have to drive to a dealer - you're doing a standard headgasket job - just order the parts and have them mailed to you. for many people the online prices are 20% less and th $20+ in savings will offset shipping and make price a nonissue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts