Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the intake manifold off this H6 3.0 to replace a few gaskets and followed FSM procedure but not too tricky. Could be coincidence but max ECT logged* is running just a degree (C) higher since and it's winter here. I have the spill free funnel so could perform the bleed procedure but this got me thinking more on how the system works. * the logger is connected permanently

Reaching out to the gurus please ;
  1. Could a little air get into the coolant when disconnecting throttle body lines ?
  2. Would a small air bubble eventually work its own way out of the cooling system ?
  3. Is there a way to remove the hard coolant scale from components ? i.e. thermostat housing section under the lower radiator hose

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Yes on the air bubble getting in. A few revs to high rpms will move an air bubble.

There are coolant flush chemicals available that will help dislodge scale. If you have it at the thermostat housing it's also in other areas of the engine. Radiator, heater core, block and heads.

I had an issue with temps some years back and it was a result of an alternator failing. Lack of current flow didn't get the fans running fast enough or at all. I'd check electricity, the griunds and that both fans are working.

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes on the air bubble getting in. A few revs to high rpms will move an air bubble.
Just out of curiosity would a small air bubble work it's way out under normal operation ? ie. radiator cap on and no bleeding process

1 - 4 of 4 Posts