Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this not quite the right board for this but didn't get any response when listed in its more appropriate location.

I am taking delivery on my new OB XT Ltd today. We live in the city and it's going to be doing a lot of parallel parking with all that entails. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about getting the corner bumpers installed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe.

c'mon -- somebody's got to have some great thoughts on this! Should I just forget about it and let it "age gracefully"?

T minus 4 hours!

·
Registered
33 Posts
well if your worried that something will come into contact with the exact spot that those bumper guards are located then get them. seems to me that they only protect .26 % of your bumper.
and yes i made that number up.some day i will do the calculations to discover the exact % of surface area protected by those guards
then again maybe i wont.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
a sacrificial Pinto would protect 100% of both bumpers.....

OK, sorry, i'll shut up now. :bonk:

ironically, your best solution at least for front bumper might be a brush guard....?? not sure if you want to clutter up lines of yr car or if anyone even makes one for yours, tho.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! I think "age gracefully" is the consensus. When one is about to pick up a new car, one is not thinking clearly so I appreciate the objective comments!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
If you're really serious you'll weld those little vertical whips on the very corners of the vehicle so you know exactly where the corners are.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
in all seriousness, you used the term "age gracefully". you hit it onthe nose(no pun intended) ....a well loved and well used OB doesn't look bad for a few minor scrapes n dings, they give it character and make it look more "rugged". you'll get em the first time you take it down a narrow trail where trees scrape both sides anyway. i love my car to death, but it ain't a Ferrari that you need to pamper. altho i can see why you'd want to keep it nice...an 05 XT is one nice car. good choice. and welcome, all my silliness aside.

what do the Sub factory bumper guards look like? do you have a foto? i have an idea. how do they attach (ie, bolts, stick on, what?)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, that's what they look like. They might prevent the side-swipes you get when someone doesn't have a clue how to parallel park and misjudges the distance . . . but I'm afraid it have to be a pretty exact match btwn the bumper height and contact point in order for it to work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well i would have a hard time justifying 50 bucks for one set of basically rubber tape once. let alone doing it 3 times.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
not sure if this would work or how it would look, but i know they make something similar for boats that's sold inbulk, called i think rub rail strip or something like that. it's intended to avoid dmg to hull from where it constantly rubs/gently bumps against dock when moored and is a narrow (1"?) strip thatcomes ona roll. i'm pretty sure it's a whole lot cheaper than the Sub stuff and comes in a lot of colors. you might be able to doa signif part of yr bumper with this stuff. might be worthchecking the marine catalog sectin of the Cabela's website?? or various industiral supply outfits (Northern, Grainger?) sell stuff that's designed fortheedging onloading docks...abt 2" wide but prolly only in black and looks pretty "serious"...maybe not the thing for an 05 XT. finally, JCWhitneyogni, that fine purveyor of better auto accessories, sells something simialr to the sub item but sufficiently cheaper that you could use as many as you could stand.

what i might be tempted to do in these circumstances is to make up a sacrificial bar out of 1" square aluminum tubing, bent (pack sand inside first so it doesn't buckle at bend) to match curve of font of car, with ends TIG welded on, paint it satin black, and mount it with longer bolts on front license plate attachment. obv won't take much of a hit but will protect car and make rending alum noises long before they hit your paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Baja Turbo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing