Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AT 4WD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car currently has 215/60R 15 94T sized tires. Is it okey to keep this size ?

Thank you.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
tire rack says the original size was the smaller 205/70/15 on a 15" rim.

but then it says alternatively with a 16" rim a 215/60/16 would be OK.

so a 215/60/15 should be fine too on the 15" rim

Reactions: SubieGirl88

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, good to know as I just bought 2 new rear tires in this size to match what was on the front put on by previous owner of my car.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Great, good to know as I just bought 2 new rear tires in this size to match what was on the front put on by previous owner of my car.
if the fronts were wore down some then you will be putting tires on of different overall diameters, which is also bad.

hence the need to replace all subaru tires at once. or to get 2 used to match what you got.

or you get torque bind trouble in the trans. (like your car may have had).

______

the goal is to make all the same as much as you can.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X, 4EAT; formerly 2006 Outback 2.5i, 4EAT
70 Posts
The biggest issue will be keeping all four tires the same--not only nominal size, but the actual diameter. Subaru specifies a very small variation (1/4" diameter, I believe) between tires before parts of the driveline start to slip and get torn up. Unless the front tires are essentially brand new, it won't be a good idea to only buy rear tires. It's more expensive to replace all of them, but less expensive than a transmission or differentials.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X, 4EAT; formerly 2006 Outback 2.5i, 4EAT
70 Posts
Sorry, I see that Eagleeye posted the same warning while I was still gradually typing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I should probably get new ones for the front too then.. Getting my transmission replaced this weekend. It was trashed due to incorrect tire size in the 1st place. Front and center differential were totally burned.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Ok, so I should probably get new ones for the front too then.. Getting my transmission replaced this weekend. It was trashed due to incorrect tire size in the 1st place. Front and center differential were totally burned.
if it were my new to me car with all that work put into it,

I would personally start out with 4 new tires. to make sure the same thing will not happen again.

_______

what was the 2 sizes again, the sizes that did all this damage in their difference?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I agree!

Getting 2 new tires for the front before I put in the new tranny. I bought the rear ones only 2 weeks ago and haven't driven the car much so should be still new enough?

The previous owner had 3 different sized tires on! The smallest one in the back was 195, then another one in 205 and 215 in the front.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Yes, I agree!

Getting 2 new tires for the front before I put in the new tranny. I bought the rear ones only 2 weeks ago and haven't driven the car much so should be still new enough?

The previous owner had 3 different sized tires on! The smallest one in the back was 195, then another one in 205 and 215 in the front.
seems like they were pulling tires of multple cars at the pick and pull. like one Forester, one Legacy, one outback. the rims are actually all the same bolt pattern but the OEM spec on the tire sizes are all different.

do you have a set of rims that are all the same? (I guess they could weigh a little different and make the car ride odd).

one of those subaru garages probably be able to get you a set of matching aluminum alloy rims for $25-30 each
for 15" like you got. and be happy to sell a whole set, as rare does anyone want 15" for anything on the road today.

_______

I had a front wheel drive ford a while back, I tried running 2 steel and 2 aluminum,...and that SUCKED,...really odd behind the wheel.

Reactions: SubieGirl88
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.