Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a routine oil change today and found more oil on the sump of the engine than I would like (don't want any really). Seems to be a bit of seepage from the hoses to and from the oil filter, along with weird rusting corrosion on the outside of one of the hoses. Are these hoses steel walled? What would cause rusting here?

And any advice for what to replace it with? Standard pipe would work or is there a specific part for this?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,665 Posts
I believe there are two concerns in that photo.

It looks like that pipe is the coolant pipe that runs to the oil cooler (which the oil filter connects to). I have seen quite a few photos of those pipes in that condition.

I suspect the oil leak is actually from the oil cooler gasket (this gasket is between the oil cooler and the engine block) and this is quite a common place for an oil leak to occur.

Clean the area thoroughly and monitor for future oil leaks. The coolant pipe can be purchased as a spare part from Subaru or any suitable sized pipe could be used as a replacement.

Seagrass

·
Registered
394 Posts
Doing a routine oil change today and found more oil on the sump of the engine than I would like (don't want any really). Seems to be a bit of seepage from the hoses to and from the oil filter, along with weird rusting corrosion on the outside of one of the hoses. Are these hoses steel walled? What would cause rusting here?

And any advice for what to replace it with? Standard pipe would work or is there a specific part for this? View attachment 497895
i reckon that oil cooler pipe is going to spring a serious leak very soon ... i would be addressing this immediately . get the part ordered and i think its an "O" ring for the oil filter housing as well .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look like the original is a clean steel pipe, yup, ordering that now! Thanks for the help.

Trying to figure out what section is the O ring that you are talking about for the Oil Filter Housing? Would love a pointer here.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes that is the O ring. It is viton not nitrile rubber so it withstands more heat.

Common failure point so should be in stock at your local Subaru dealer and from memory they cost around $25-$30 in Australia.

Seagrass

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is the O ring. It is viton not nitrile rubber so it withstands more heat.

Common failure point so should be in stock at your local Subaru dealer and from memory they cost around $25-$30 in Australia.

Seagrass
Cheers. Going to go pester the local subaru dealer for that and the oil cooler pipe, neither of them seem easy to get online.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
Odd that it's the only thing I see corroded in your image, like they used a very inferior grade of steel for the pipe and bracket material and didn't do anything to coat or protect it. But it's very localized to the left side bracket; the bracket on the other side is perfectly OK. Maybe it was broken and very poorly rewelded? It sure looks loose in the second image you provided.

I would paint the new part with a rustproofing primer before installation.

I checked in the US parts stock for you - amazingly, the LHD US models use the same part (21328) and it's listed at $120 USD here in Portland. Never thought I'd say this, but @seagrass found quite a bargain in Australia over the US supply chains!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd that it's the only thing I see corroded in your image, like they used a very inferior grade of steel for the pipe and bracket material and didn't do anything to coat or protect it. But it's very localized to the left side bracket; the bracket on the other side is perfectly OK. Maybe it was broken and very poorly rewelded? It sure looks loose in the second image you provided.

I would paint the new part with a rustproofing primer before installation.

I checked in the US parts stock for you - amazingly, the LHD US models use the same part (21328) and it's listed at $120 USD here in Portland. Never thought I'd say this, but @seagrass found quite a bargain in Australia over the US supply chains!
I think he was referring to the O-Ring for the oil cooler. The pipe seems to bet between $90-$120 depending on where I find it.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
512 Posts
On the opposite side of that coolant hose there appears to be some oil seepage as well.

This is likely your timing cover leaking onto the hose. Probably not worth removing to reseal at this time, just keep an eye on it until it get bad enough to piss you off and make you fix it. I'm currently facing that predicament with my 3 6R...

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
373 Posts
Take a look at this thread specifically the final 2 posts. The pipe you've found & the one that snakes from the water pump up to the heater feed both corrode like that. As others have said they're flowing coolant not oil, so you'll be draining your coolant in order to replace either one. Unless you find the 2nd pipe to be pristine, I would just replace both while you're in there.

The other pipe endures especially severe heat cycling being right beside the exhaust collector. It has lots of bends & it forks into 2 lines at the top, but somehow it costs half as much as the simpler pipe to the oil cooler.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
988 Posts
That plumbing needs to be checked at least once a year. You do not see it when changing oil (unless the plastic shield is missing) so it's kind of out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phoned Subaru spare parts here in New Zealand today to try and source the spare pipe locally. They quoted $450 for a replacement part, which I was somewhat shocked at!

Ordered the same genuine part from Tasca, along with the o ring seal from America, shipped to nz for less than $200. Wonder why such a big price difference.

Subaru quote $120 for the same part through their official website. Crazy!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
Cancel my statement about finding bargains in Australia or New Zealand over US suppliers. I suppose it was the O-Ring for the oil cooler that @seagrass was talking about.

I does look simple enough to fabricate yourself.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Cancel my statement about finding bargains in Australia or New Zealand over US suppliers. I suppose it was the O-Ring for the oil cooler that @seagrass was talking about.

I does look simple enough to fabricate yourself.
Yes it was the O ring I was referring to, sorry about the confusion.

Seagrass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts