Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive ordere a cosmo ram air intake for my 2012 2.5. After some emails back and forth I found out that the 2009 intake will fit. It came today and I've sized it up and it does fit. However it didn't come with any instruction and Cosmo doesn't offer them for this intake. I was wondering if anyone else has one and knows the hose placement? From what I can see only one hose is connected to the stock intake. The Cosmo intake has 3 hose outlet on it. But it's also meant for. 2009. I'm going to call them tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had input on installing it to a 2012.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive installed the intake. After talking with the cosmo people only one hose gets connected. Noticeable sound difference above 3,000 rpm and I do notice a positive difference in driving. I mostly do highway driving, although its only been on for 2 days the mpg computer says its gone up a bit. But ill see what the math says at the next fill up. Also went to the Orange county chopper subaru meet and picked up some hella supertones. Hopefully will get those on this weekend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound difference is a bit deeper. Not sure what to compare it to but having a chevy truck driving by you and you have your windows closed might come close. I notice a slight difference so far with mpg. Locally, this weekend Ive been getting 26 with the intake in. Use to get 24 local and 26 on the highway. Ill find out this week the real numbers for highway driving to work. Im also going to build a heat shield with foam core and fiberglass since I dont have access to metal.

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
Do you have a part number for that? The 2009 outback intake on the cosmo website looks quite different from your picture.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
230 Posts
sound clip??? does it just give it a throaty sound under acceleration? Any kind of whoosh sound?

I had a buddy put an intake on his Ranger and all it did was make the V6 growl a bit more.. But he saw maybe 1-2mpg gain on the highway.. nothing in city though.

Both the true CAI and short Ram intakes I had on my Grand Am GT gave both a nice growl under hard acceleration and had a bit of that whoosh sound at 1/2 throttle. (especially with the short ram).

I've toyed with the idea of an intake upgrade.. But I'm not sure I want to spend the money for "just the sound".

Any noticeable gain/loss of bottom end power? The CAI setup on my Grand Am seemed to help over stock but the short ram kinda numbed the off the line experience. I never got any increase in economy really. Mainly because I couldn't keep my foot out of it.:rolleyes:

Does the kit not come with the additional pipe to move the cone into the wheel well for a cold air charge? Would eliminate the need to build a heat shield. But could make cleaning and oiling the filter a monster.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
sound clip??? does it just give it a throaty sound under acceleration? Any kind of whoosh sound?

I had a buddy put an intake on his Ranger and all it did was make the V6 growl a bit more.. But he saw maybe 1-2mpg gain on the highway.. nothing in city though.

Both the true CAI and short Ram intakes I had on my Grand Am GT gave both a nice growl under hard acceleration and had a bit of that whoosh sound at 1/2 throttle. (especially with the short ram).

I've toyed with the idea of an intake upgrade.. But I'm not sure I want to spend the money for "just the sound".

Any noticeable gain/loss of bottom end power? The CAI setup on my Grand Am seemed to help over stock but the short ram kinda numbed the off the line experience. I never got any increase in economy really. Mainly because I couldn't keep my foot out of it.:rolleyes:

Does the kit not come with the additional pipe to move the cone into the wheel well for a cold air charge? Would eliminate the need to build a heat shield. But could make cleaning and oiling the filter a monster.
Too bad you can't just flip the air cleaner lids upside down like on 1970's cars - that was the ticket :>

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you have a part number for that? The 2009 outback intake on the cosmo website looks quite different from your picture.

After looking thru various Legacy and Outback products on their website, the pictures appear to be generic. While the part numbers appear to be different the product photos are the same.

I am interested now to know if they sent a full CAI pipe or just the main pipe.. Maybe OP just chose to leave the filter in the engine bay?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is not the CAI its a SRI. Didnt come with a piece to put the filter down but I bought one over the weekend and moved the filter almost directly infront of the outlet for the air scoop. Really cant put it into the fender. From what I saw the plastic fender liner is under where the cone sits. Next time I fiddle with it ill take a picture of the big space the filter box and snorkel left. I considered sound bites, but i heard people do some on youtube and you really cant hear the real quality.

Unless you cut off the filter to the engine bay its not really a CAI. which is why i may build the heat shield. Even thought about getting another fog light surround, cutting out the inlet on it and running a hose up to the place where the shield will be. But I doubt ill do that. Im not racing it.

this is the exact intake i ordered Street Tuning Auto Piece BMW Performance Parts - COSMO Racing

I picked up the extra pipe from autozone for 10 bucks. I pretty much drive highway so I do notice a slight gain on MPG. Pretty throaty sound when you stomp on the gas of course. Sound slightly changes around 3-4k. No wooshy sound either from what I can tell.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Interesting.. the Sri setup is much easier maintenance. Cleaning my cai ended up being a pain when the car became a highway commuter. I changed it to a Sri and just kinda left it out of laziness.

Hmm. Wonder if I could do a legacy gt hood and mod it to be a functional ram air. If nothing else it would be different.:p

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Cool!!!

... moved the filter almost directly infront of the outlet for the air scoop.
+ the undercarriage splashshield is minimal, it doesn’t take much to get the engine dirty.
How do you alleviate hydrolock?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
If nothing else, it looks good! I wouldn't do it, but only because I tend to get mud and general filth splashed all around my engine compartment when off-roading.

Hydrolock is probably not all that much of a concern with it mounted that high, splashing a little water on the filter element isn't going to kill it.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i think i will try that takeda intake. was pretty happy with my afe drop in filter but would like a little engine noise when i floor it. i think that plus uel headers and an exhaust would make me very happy.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
409 Posts
i think i will try that takeda intake. was pretty happy with my afe drop in filter but would like a little engine noise when i floor it. i think that plus uel headers and an exhaust would make me very happy.
That does look nice, but the one's I'm seeing online are only for the 2.5, not the 3.6R that the link shows.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Bradze's previous quote...
"thats exactly why i got a '12 impreza. i was holding out for the xv but decided 3mpg and a lower monthly payment are more important than extra ground clearance that would never be needed. ..snip. and the new 2.0 FB moves pretty well in such a small car. if you wanna go faster, why would you even consider a car like that?"

Exactly, so why bother with the intake on the 2.5?

Hater comments welcomed :>

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Bradze's previous quote...
"thats exactly why i got a '12 impreza. i was holding out for the xv but decided 3mpg and a lower monthly payment are more important than extra ground clearance that would never be needed. ..snip. and the new 2.0 FB moves pretty well in such a small car. if you wanna go faster, why would you even consider a car like that?"

Exactly, so why bother with the intake on the 2.5?

Hater comments welcomed :>
Those who have the fewest dollars to spend generally are the one's who spend money on things like this.

If I want a fast car I'll go out and get a Turbo 911 and modify it to my hearts content given it won't be my sole vehicle which needs to be reliable and cheap- and I would pay cash for the 911 given its just a toy - financing toys is plain dumb.

If all I can afford is a reliable - economical car like say my 2.5 cvt OB sitting out front that gets driven 300-400 miles a week dealing with nearly every aspect of family transportation - the last thing I need to be doing is tossing money away at modifying the stock economical - and affordable car which by the way I paid cash for - I hate paying people money to borrow their money. Which is probably why I could go out today and get that nice Turbo 911 if I really wanted it. ;-)

When I was dirt poor - I owned the most reliable vehicle I could find for my money and did my level best not to break it and to keep it up so my tiny savings wouldn't get wiped out by some sort of major mechanical failure. Today I have enough money to own several cars and if I were to blow up the turbo 911 being silly playing with my toy it would be no big deal I can still get to work and I can take my time rebuilding the 911 or putting a little extra cash to the side to have a pro rebuild it for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
haters gonna hate. Generally speaking people "mod" their vehicles for personal taste (especially economical vehicles). Sometimes for function, sometimes for show. Its pretty well established that the OB is not configured for hi performance. I'd even go so far as guess that the majority demographic of OB owners understand this and don't have the illusion that they will be able to rock crawl or bolt on double the hp without going way beyond reasonable budget and effort.

things like an intake, UEL headers, exhaust won't suddenly make it a rocket. But if your trying to achieve the classic boxer burble sound without losing function. And why not. Intake/exhaust mods are pretty much the defecto standard of mods for any car since I can remember.

And why can't the family truckster be a toy too? :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts