Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So this is something that's been on my mind for some time. Finally had a day off to play around and test the theory.

Subaru Eyesight has a set of cameras above the windshield that watch the road in front of you. They result in features like lane keep, ADAPTIVE Cruise Control, and automatic emergency braking. The first one is OK, the second one is great, and the third one makes the entire system worth it. One use and it pays for itself. Subaru often cites a study of the system resulting in an 85% decrease in rear end collisions. Based on my previous testing with a frog and experiencing it for nearly 60k miles I absolutely think that number is realistic.

I've experienced Eyesight detecting people running in the road. Of course, I've stopped for those people. But what if it was a deer? What if I just didn't see it?

I included some footage from a friend in the opening of my video of the scenario I'm talking about.

No warning at all just a deer running into the road in an otherwise calm quiet night. The deer did not make it unfortunately.

So yes, I'm talking about a serious topic but thought I'd try to be more jovial about it. So I went and found an inflatable deer and put it on the road and drove into it for science.

I originally planned two tests but we ended up doing three. One with the deer standing in the road. One with the deer running completely across the road. One with the deer standing in the road then running as the car approaches. All tests were done with cruise control set to 40 mph. This is because the video reported the car travelling at roughly 40 mph.

Test one was the most surprising to me. It plowed right into the deer. It did see the deer. Watching the go pro of the dash it identified it as a car before flashing the warning sign and starting to slow down. But it wasn't enough.

Test two was also surprising. It slowed down considerably more when the deer was moving. Even though it didn't hit the deer this time it did result in the car slowing down to ~20 mph. Possibly enough to save the deer and or the car?

Test three was also surprising. Same result as test two with the car slowing down considerably.

I think overall the conclusion to draw from this is:

1) I have a strange sense of humor.

2) Eyesight should not be counted on in these scenarios. It is not a self driving car. It is not autonomous.

3) Eyesight could possibly reduce the damage to the vehicle and the deer (or other animals... or people) even in these extreme scenarios.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This seems like a solvable problem with software update. I wonder if they have just not trained it to detect deer shapes? Either way, good to know and looks like a fun experiment to run!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eyesight certainly can help with deer. In my situation it did help me avoid any damage to my 2018 Touring, and allowed the buck to scamper away after a slight nudge that only knocked him off his feet.

I live in a large gated community in Williamsburg, Virginia, which has a herd of about 200 deer dispersed throughout at any one time. I was traveling at about 30 mph on one of our roads at around noon. It was a sunny, October day. With nothing else in sight (cars or deer), a buck jumped in front of me from behind some shrubbery. I was totally surprised, and the car stopped quickly enough that it only nudged the deer. No damage (not even a mark on the bumper) to my car.

Yes I was going slowly to meet the speed limit in our community, but I’m convinced I would have had more damage to the deer and my car without Eyesight. So, I agree with conclusion #3 above that Eyesight is a help with deer. Possibly not under all circumstances, but certainly helped me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
All tests were done with cruise control set to 40 mph. This is because the video reported the car travelling at roughly 40 mph.
It's worth noting that EyeSight's Pre-Collision Braking is only rated for target closure rates of 30 mph or less to achieve a full stop and avoid a collision. Above that speed, collision avoidance is not guaranteed, just reduced speed at impact.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Have you seen the Subaru memo that says a Eyesight can't be recalibrated after a lift is installed? Wondering if that impacts (pardon the pun) the system on your car?

·
Registered
584 Posts
It’s considered Level 1 autonomous.

I previous had a 2008 Scion XB before my 2019 Outback. My insurance only went up $5 /month. I think these safety features were a big factor.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you seen the Subaru memo that says a Eyesight can't be recalibrated after a lift is installed? Wondering if that impacts (pardon the pun) the system on your car?
I have. I tested it last year and it worked great. It's just Subaru cya'ing which they absolutely should.

·
Registered
290 Posts

So this is something that's been on my mind for some time. Finally had a day off to play around and test the theory.

Subaru Eyesight has a set of cameras above the windshield that watch the road in front of you. They result in features like lane keep, ADAPTIVE Cruise Control, and automatic emergency braking. The first one is OK, the second one is great, and the third one makes the entire system worth it. One use and it pays for itself. Subaru often cites a study of the system resulting in an 85% decrease in rear end collisions. Based on my previous testing with a frog and experiencing it for nearly 60k miles I absolutely think that number is realistic.

I've experienced Eyesight detecting people running in the road. Of course, I've stopped for those people. But what if it was a deer? What if I just didn't see it?

I included some footage from a friend in the opening of my video of the scenario I'm talking about.

No warning at all just a deer running into the road in an otherwise calm quiet night. The deer did not make it unfortunately.

So yes, I'm talking about a serious topic but thought I'd try to be more jovial about it. So I went and found an inflatable deer and put it on the road and drove into it for science.

I originally planned two tests but we ended up doing three. One with the deer standing in the road. One with the deer running completely across the road. One with the deer standing in the road then running as the car approaches. All tests were done with cruise control set to 40 mph. This is because the video reported the car travelling at roughly 40 mph.

Test one was the most surprising to me. It plowed right into the deer. It did see the deer. Watching the go pro of the dash it identified it as a car before flashing the warning sign and starting to slow down. But it wasn't enough.

Test two was also surprising. It slowed down considerably more when the deer was moving. Even though it didn't hit the deer this time it did result in the car slowing down to ~20 mph. Possibly enough to save the deer and or the car?

Test three was also surprising. Same result as test two with the car slowing down considerably.

I think overall the conclusion to draw from this is:

1) I have a strange sense of humor.

2) Eyesight should not be counted on in these scenarios. It is not a self driving car. It is not autonomous.

3) Eyesight could possibly reduce the damage to the vehicle and the deer (or other animals... or people) even in these extreme scenarios.
Well worth the money. Mine seems to work daily to slow car when other driver suddenly change lanes with no signal or run red lights, I always keep mine a maximum spacing for thagt reason. Full lock up only once when a scooter sailed out of a parking lot in srotn of a parked bus.
I just wish it would work when driving into early morning or late day sun.
I had a clear UV rated application on windshield on 2015, I will now definitly replace that on replacemet windshield on 2015. In retrospect and now without it is iwell worth the money. really reduces the heat in your face and helps in keeping car cool.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Drove my buddy's 2017 3.6R Touring from Montana to Atlanta this week. Almost had a chance to try out the auto emergency braking but the oncoming car hit the antelope before we got there. Won't ever forget that. :cry:

I could not figure out how to switch from ACC to regular old-fashioned cruise control. How do you do it? On our 2018 you just hold one of the buttons down (don't remember which one) until it switches over.

Felt like his rides a little harder than ours. Do I recall that they softened the suspension a bit for 2018? Also felt like his lane assist nudge is much more subtle than ours. Did that change also?

Oh one more difference -- his cruise control speed adjustment switches have two detents, first gives you 1 mph change, second gives you 5 mph. I found this much easier to use (and more intuitive once I figured it out) than the 2018's utterly Subie-intuitive short tap for 5 mph vs. hold for 1 mph.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to poop on the parade, but I would be willing to bet if you had an actual size decoy it would have helped more. Deer around here stand at 3ft to the top of the back. I would be interested to see if that would change the results

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to poop on the parade, but I would be willing to bet if you had an actual size decoy it would have helped more. Deer around here stand at 3ft to the top of the back. I would be interested to see if that would change the results
Please supply a decoy/target.

I assure you I will try it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Please supply a decoy/target.

I assure you I will try it.
I could honestly supply you a full hide you would just have to fill it with something. My dad got a buck with his bow on Saturday. You pay shipping ha ha. Might not smell the best when it gets there. But in all seriousness, They make full size paper targets that you could put a cardboard backing on. I honestly think if it picked it up before. A larger target might actually pick up better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
First, my wife and I loved this video ...you guys were a hoot ...on a serious note, my 2017 OB eyesight saves my bacon last fall in Yellowstone when it saw the rear end of a Bison before I did ...it was wandering down the middle of the road in the dark. It slowed the car quickly and I was able to avoid hitting it. I had to evade it but the system helped avoid a bad accident for man and animal. I recently installed a 12k lumen light bar and 4k lumen fog lights to see better on this year’s trip west.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
His phone evidently has a mirror selfie mode enabled in some shots there....
At the beginning of the video (after the real deer's demise), the T-shirt with Riviera Maya seemingly in a mirror image was a huge tell. Maybe because I like that area of Mexico and keyed on it. Great diving there!

Nice video, @Brucey I must've missed the coonskin cap, because I'm sure it must have been there somewhere - I just didn't see it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
30 Participants
jumpalt2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing