Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
First, my wife and I loved this video ...you guys were a hoot ...on a serious note, my 2017 OB eyesight saves my bacon last fall in Yellowstone when it saw the rear end of a Bison before I did ...it was wandering down the middle of the road in the dark. It slowed the car quickly and I was able to avoid hitting it. I had to evade it but the system helped avoid a bad accident for man and animal. I recently installed a 12k lumen light bar and 4k lumen fog lights to see better on this year’s trip west.
This is great to hear! When I did the test last year I wanted to do a deer scenario then too.

I went and checked that test and it was working up to 35 mph.

Based on that and other stories here I think the third conclusion from the test would be the best one to draw.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Obviously your best bet is to have time/distance to react, and the system to help you if you're surprised. I remember being in upstate NY when a guy passed me going about 75-80 on a 55mph country road. He had just pulled out from a bar and I had eyes on him peeling out of the parking lot as I drove by and gunning it past me. He had lights on a roll bar on the truck and his high-beams on. About 20 car lengths ahead of me, a whole group of deer came out and not only did he hit two or three, several hit him in the side of the vehicle.

After that I was hyper-vigilant that weekend. I could see them moving across the road by the reflection in their eyes. It seemed like they were coming from everywhere. I don't know if it was a freaky atmospheric thing, but that year in NY, the population was pretty high.

When I drive in my sub-division, I see packs all the time. If my whippet is triggered, I can look out front and see them in the yard. I can even pull into the drive and they are right there eating vegetation. Down South, maybe everywhere, they are just not frightened enough and probably don't have enough predators in the area.

@Brucey. If you re-do the experiment, do it at night. :devilish:

You don't want one coming through the windshield. I know that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So this is something that's been on my mind for some time. Finally had a day off to play around and test the theory.
I've experienced Eyesight detecting people running in the road. Of course, I've stopped for those people. But what if it was a deer? What if I just didn't see it?
God I love this site!!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fantastic @Brucey ! Any mitigation is helpful. 40 -> 20 makes a big impact to reduce damage to all life involved. I could care less about the car and at 20 the chance of the deer going through the windshield would be low. Thanks again for your testing!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Maybe we should take up fundraising so @Brucey can get a very high speed low lux camera, a full size dad, mom, child and dog dummy, and sleds to pull the virtual family across the road. Then he could put up a poll, "what should be tested next" and let people vote.

FWIW, I wager the child and dog make it regardless of the experiment. :devilish:

Doesn't have to be all safety... He could independently test products for the car. Everything from LED cup holder lights to waxes to tires, and... tents. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can add some info to this. I got a great deal on my 2019 3.6L because the previous owners, with only 2k miles on the odometer, hit a deer while driving in the Colorado mountains. No direct frame damage, but a strong enough strike that it deployed the driver side airbag and required welding to fix the mounts for the radiator.

So, eyesight apparently is not enough to stop one from hitting a deer of a size large enough to cause the above damage. Not sure about something larger like an elk or a moose though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watched the videos and looked for your profile picture and it's you who filmed it. Thought you just shared a random vid from youtube. I feel like in a couple of years they would improve eyesight more and detect shapes and even small animals like cats. I see lots of dead cats on the road. Excited to see what's next for eyesight.

·
Registered
923 Posts
[...] even small animals like cats. I see lots of dead cats on the road. Excited to see what's next for eyesight.
You've got the avatar name @thatclown - so is there a dead cat joke in this or legit concern for small animals? I hate seeing dead animals on the side of the road. I brake for squirrels! Poor growing up, I had to eat squirrel. It's kind of hard hiding squirrel in what is being cooked. I'm sympathetic to the squirrel and have an affinity for chipmunks (no we didn't eat chipmunk, I just think they are cute).

On our way down from ATL to Savannah last year, family saw a dead bear on the side of the road. :cry:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You've got the avatar name @thatclown - so is there a dead cat joke in this or legit concern for small animals? I hate seeing dead animals on the side of the road. I brake for squirrels! Poor growing up, I had to eat squirrel. It's kind of hard hiding squirrel in what is being cooked. I'm sympathetic to the squirrel and have an affinity for chipmunks (no we didn't eat chipmunk, I just think they are cute).

On our way down from ATL to Savannah last year, family saw a dead bear on the side of the road. :cry:

·
Registered
147 Posts
This video has convinced me to watch ever more closely for inflatable animals. I kind of want to see if an inflatable Snoopy Halloween lawn thing would stop the car......

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I feel like in a couple of years they would improve eyesight more and detect shapes and even small animals like cats. I see lots of dead cats on the road. Excited to see what's next for eyesight.
Be careful what you wish for. Increasing EyeSight's sensitivity to very small objects in the road, especially stationary objects, will also inevitably increase the number of false positives.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If eyesight detects an object and you start braking but will still hit it, will it brake even more to avoid a collision?
I'm not sure. You can see on the dash when the car is braking (brake lights icon on vehicle) and when I hit the brake.

The "set" icon goes away.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
If eyesight detects an object and you start braking but will still hit it, will it brake even more to avoid a collision?
Yes ... at anything short of incipient wheel lock-up. See: Pre-Collision Brake Assist in the EyeSight Quick Reference Guide:
Pre-Collision Brake Assist
If EyeSight recognizes an impending collision with a vehicle or obstacle in front of the EyeSight vehicle, and the driver is applying the brakes but not with enough brake pedal force, Pre-Collision Brake Assist automatically applies up to full braking pressure in order to try to shorten braking distance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You're performing "spirit induced" public service. Road? What road?

I live near a neighborhood where many people have that big inflatable stuff... But there's this one house, people come from miles around each year. All their stuff is fantastic and tastefully done. It's been honed over time. There's a lit sign telling everyone what FM frequency to set their radio to so as to hear the accompanying music. They always have traffic down their cul-de-sac. But for neighbors it's a given, and it brings so much joy... If we only had the snow!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
30 Participants
jumpalt2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing