Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts
Please supply a decoy/target.

I assure you I will try it.

does the eyesight see / receive any better things that are warm.?
like does it have some infrared capability in it. ?

maybe you need to put something hot on your dummies (like between 99F -109 F)
as per

and such on a cool fall 50F day may yield a different result, maybe warming dark beach towel in a hot cloths dryer and putting it in a beer cooler for transport, before placing it over the deer.
testing the subject with a pistol thermometer.

____

I know other car companies point out their camera systems see infrared.
and recall the Caddy Deville Concours had one back in 1995,...shined up on the windshield with the heads up display for the speedo. It did not stop the car but did show what the camera seen as a white object on the side of the road in the dark. so making it easy for the driver to swerve or brake for whatever hot body was out in the pitch black out past where the headlights shined....so a great easy safety feature for pedestrian and animals a like.
(I never seen a working example of that particular car, just the original videos back in the day,....had the camera mounted in the grill where the regular Caddy logo was, and looked like a hockey puck)

____
Edit: and is some or all of that Video inverted right to left,...or did you put a right hand drive dash in it some time. ?

and target deer made of foam might last better. like you could DIY one from garbage from a furniture repair / mattress shop. (avoiding bed bugs in the car maybe with unused material)

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
does the eyesight see / receive any better things that are warm.?
like does it have some infrared capability in it. ?

maybe you need to put something hot on your dummies (like between 99F -109 F)
as per

and such on a cool fall 50F day may yield a different result, maybe warming dark beach towel in a hot cloths dryer and putting it in a beer cooler for transport, before placing it over the deer.
testing the subject with a pistol thermometer.

____

I know other car companies point out their camera systems see infrared.
and recall the Caddy Deville Concours had one back in 1995,...shined up on the windshield with the heads up display for the speedo. It did not stop the car but did show what the camera seen as a white object on the side of the road in the dark. so making it easy for the driver to swerve or brake for whatever hot body was out in the pitch black out past where the headlights shined....so a great easy safety feature for pedestrian and animals a like.
(I never seen a working example of that particular car, just the original videos back in the day,....had the camera mounted in the grill where the regular Caddy logo was, and looked like a hockey puck)
I don't have much experience with Cadillac self driving tech. I know some of the S class Mercedes had infrared cameras for the front that could be displayed on the dash allowing you to see further than the headlights could.

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts
I don't have much experience with Cadillac self driving tech. I know some of the S class Mercedes had infrared cameras for the front that could be displayed on the dash allowing you to see further than the headlights could.
updated post

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts
Yah some of it was inverted.

I didn't know because I was filming using my friends phone.

Mine doesn't do that for some reason.
is it easy to get into the eyesight camera feed to show what it sees and reacts to ?

like does it "see" put a white box over and "watch" the object as the car approaches it ?

and is this easy without breaking anything....expensive.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
is it easy to get into the eyesight camera feed to show what it sees and reacts to ?

like does it "see" put a white box over and "watch" the object as the car approaches it ?

and is this easy without breaking anything....expensive.
Not sure how easy it is to access cameras.

There was some tinkerer on here that was attempting to re program eyesight by accessing the camera and overriding the lane keep for semi autonomous driving but I think they gave up.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Your subject isn't a deer, Brucey, it's a balloon. The enclosed (hot) air could not simulate the body mass of a deer.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Your subject isn't a deer, Brucey, it's a balloon. The enclosed (hot) air could not simulate the body mass of a deer.
How does that change what the cameras see? It works on a cardboard box.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How does that change what the cameras see? It works on a cardboard box.
Maybe the camera is supersmart and knows it is only a balloon version of a deer so it doesn't stop too seriously? You should test it again using something more lifelike. The nieghbours perhaps? In-laws are a common theme here I am told.... other suggestions come to mind.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Maybe the camera is supersmart and knows it is only a balloon version of a deer so it doesn't stop too seriously? You should test it again using something more lifelike. The nieghbours perhaps? In-laws are a common theme here I am told.... other suggestions come to mind.
or the cameras just hate deer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
or the cameras just hate deer.
So perhaps if we assembled various animal shapes we could judge what animals the brand is ok with running down vs those they will always save? Interesting direction for science, imagine what the PR mess would be for Subaru when it comes to light they love dogs and hate cats!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
So perhaps if we assembled various animal shapes we could judge what animals the brand is ok with running down vs those they will always save? Interesting direction for science, imagine what the PR mess would be for Subaru when it comes to light they love dogs and hate cats!
The problem is that the cats would rig the test results.... they’re smart like that. They’d pay the spiders to mess up things with the cameras when the dog cutouts are being tested.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What about a Sasquatch?
Me, I would want to definitely hit the somebitch and throw him on the roof.
What if Eyesight kicks in and brakes? Subaru is going to cost me millions :(

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
The problem is that the cats would rig the test results.... they’re smart like that. They’d pay the spiders to mess up things with the cameras when the dog cutouts are being tested.
That's so very true.

Inflatable deer are not a PETA protected species. Good thing too since PETA are people who raised money to put orange vests on deer during hunting season thinking it would protect them but in fact making them much easier to hunt successfully.

·
Registered
130 Posts

So this is something that's been on my mind for some time. Finally had a day off to play around and test the theory.

Subaru Eyesight has a set of cameras above the windshield that watch the road in front of you. They result in features like lane keep, ADAPTIVE Cruise Control, and automatic emergency braking. The first one is OK, the second one is great, and the third one makes the entire system worth it. One use and it pays for itself. Subaru often cites a study of the system resulting in an 85% decrease in rear end collisions. Based on my previous testing with a frog and experiencing it for nearly 60k miles I absolutely think that number is realistic.

I've experienced Eyesight detecting people running in the road. Of course, I've stopped for those people. But what if it was a deer? What if I just didn't see it?

I included some footage from a friend in the opening of my video of the scenario I'm talking about.

No warning at all just a deer running into the road in an otherwise calm quiet night. The deer did not make it unfortunately.

So yes, I'm talking about a serious topic but thought I'd try to be more jovial about it. So I went and found an inflatable deer and put it on the road and drove into it for science.

I originally planned two tests but we ended up doing three. One with the deer standing in the road. One with the deer running completely across the road. One with the deer standing in the road then running as the car approaches. All tests were done with cruise control set to 40 mph. This is because the video reported the car travelling at roughly 40 mph.

Test one was the most surprising to me. It plowed right into the deer. It did see the deer. Watching the go pro of the dash it identified it as a car before flashing the warning sign and starting to slow down. But it wasn't enough.

Test two was also surprising. It slowed down considerably more when the deer was moving. Even though it didn't hit the deer this time it did result in the car slowing down to ~20 mph. Possibly enough to save the deer and or the car?

Test three was also surprising. Same result as test two with the car slowing down considerably.

I think overall the conclusion to draw from this is:

1) I have a strange sense of humor.

2) Eyesight should not be counted on in these scenarios. It is not a self driving car. It is not autonomous.

3) Eyesight could possibly reduce the damage to the vehicle and the deer (or other animals... or people) even in these extreme scenarios.
I love this. You'd be a hoot to hang with and come up with ways to test out the Outback. 😂

I can picture the headlines now. Two men violating inflatable deer. #inflatabledeerlivesmatter. 😂

Can you try with a large Bumble? Remember, Bumbles bounce, so he'll survive being hit. 😂

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love this. You'd be a hoot to hang with and come up with ways to test out the Outback. 😂

I can picture the headlines now. Two men violating inflatable deer. #inflatabledeerlivesmatter. 😂

Can you try with a large Bumble? Remember, Bumbles bounce, so he'll survive being hit. 😂

I can't wait to see this thing get bagged and tagged as the Outback doesn't stop lol

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
30 Participants
jumpalt2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing