Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium - 6 spd MT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 OB 2.5 Premium with a 6MT. I've been having a slight sputtering issue between 1,500 and 2,000 rpms. Usually when I slow in traffic or around a curve then get back on the gas in the same gear, I'll get a bit of what feels like engine sputter and then I'm off. Doesn't happen every time.

Took it into the dealer and they're telling me my clutch need to be replaced. I only have 63K on the car. I've been driving MTs for 30 years and this doesn't feel like any clutch problem I have ever experienced. I am obviously getting a second opinion about the clutch but, does anyone think that could be the issue? If not, any thoughts on what it may be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,134 Posts
It doesn't sound like a clutch to me. Are there any stored diagnostic codes thrown? What happens if you instead downshift and attempt to accelerate with a higher RPM range?

·
Registered
2007 2.5 base 5MT
140 Posts
Clutch stutter, as you probably know, tends to occur in first/second shifts more than anywhere and would normally show up post 100k miles on any decent manual driver. It does not sound like a bad clutch.

Your description sounds more like a fuel feed issue, especially if you do not feel any lurching, grinding or smell any burning which would be more in line with a bad clutch. Thing about the clutch though is there is not real easy way to know without pulling it which is the cost of the job basically! Only real subaru clutch issue I know of is the tendency of the throw out bearing to go bad too early, and that is a easy detection based on noise when clutch is out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts