Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Subaru Outback only has 2400 miles, and has the push button start like my previous car - Prius v. I pushed the "Start engine" button this morning and all electronics came up but no engine. I assumed that I pushed the start button without pressing on the brake, and tried to turn the car off by pressing the engine and pushing the start button.

But it did not turn off except for the monitor screen, which turned back on automatically within 2 seconds. No matter what I did, I could not turn off the electric (see attached). As the engine was not on, I called the dealer who told me that I should call the Roadside service to have my car towed. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I could finally turn off the car and turn it on. Then I could drive to the dealer.

According to the service dept, the computer indicated "false start" indicating that I pressed the START button without pressing the brake down. According to them, I made the system confused by trying to turn it off many times. But why didn't it turn off when I first tried to turn it off.

The Service Dept said that I had made the system utterly confused by trying to turn it off many times.

Has something like this happened to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,325 Posts
Can't help much with the diagnosis, as I don't have the service manual for this model year. My wife's Prius does have the feature, and I'm well familiar with the somewhat ambiguity of what state it is in.

But I will say that I looked in the dictionary under "BS", and this dealer service department's explanation for the cause of your problem was listed there.

It will probably happen again, and the fix will be warranted, of course.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
You didn’t state the model, it’s not visible in your signature or profile.

I have the Touring model that has keyless start. There are 3 distinct states, one for starting the car where you must have foot on brake pedal to start, the next state is to have power to all accessories auch as power windows, etc. and the last is for without all the accessories like windows, but leaves power on for the radio and lights.

There are timeouts for each, and they can be set. You can toggle between the 3 states without starting the car. IIRC if you leave it in the state that’d normally start the car if you had your foot on the brake pedal, I think it’d eventually tiem out and the car would turn off.

Read the owner’s manual, it’s covered as to how it all works: experiment to verify and understand, and *ONLY THEN* after testing it, if it does NOT work as documented, contact the dealer. Why you didn’t read that before contacting the dealer or asking here first, I don’t know: I’d hate to be worried the battery would go dead on my car because I thought (and depending on its state, it may) not have turned off.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I have the Touring model that has keyless start. There are 3 distinct states, one for starting the car where you must have foot on brake pedal to start, the next state is to have power to all accessories auch as power windows, etc. and the last is for without all the accessories like windows, but leaves power on for the radio and lights.

There are timeouts for each, and they can be set. You can toggle between the 3 states without starting the car. IIRC if you leave it in the state that’d normally start the car if you had your foot on the brake pedal, I think it’d eventually [time] out and the car would turn off.
So indeed confusion might have been a factor; it just wasn't involving the computer!:wink2:
I’d hate to be worried the battery would go dead on my car because I thought (and depending on its state, it may) not have turned off.
There's no doubt the smaller battery contributes to this generation's battery problems, but I now wonder how many incidents are on account of the car being left in one of the two accessory powered-on states?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
So indeed confusion might have been a factor; it just wasn't involving the computer!:wink2:

There's no doubt the smaller battery is a factor in this generation's battery issues, but I now wonder how many incidents are on account of the car being left in one of the two accessory powered-on states?
If you try to exit the car without it being in the state that times out to turn off, it lets you know to turn it off. That requires you to pay attention to the car waning you, of course, but it’s a unique warning that’s not used for anything else.

The head unit is a disaster, but thankfully, the rest works in a (mostly) sensible manner, with the obnoxious exception that when you’re on the phone, the dashboard status display (can’t think what you call it formally, ahows mpg, etc.) shows you who is the other party in the call, and will NOT let you switch to see anything else while on the call. That’s really frustrating, especially as the same information is shown on the head unit!

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
If you try to exit the car without it being in the state that times out to turn off, it lets you know to turn it off. That requires you to pay attention to the car waning you, of course, but it’s a unique warning that’s not used for anything else.
Nice feature. Our Prius won't do that, it just leaves the accessories on and discharges the battery. And having a charge on the NiMH batteries won't help you to get going again; you have to have the 12 V system up to get the computer alive again.

On the plus side, once you do get it going - and jumping it is pretty easy - it's got a kick-a$$ charging system. There's a 50 kW charging system in there, and it diverts whatever it needs to recharge the 12 V system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been several months since this post, but I would like to report that the problem has been solved in June after my contacting Subaru of America after trying to reproduce the problem. After they told me to learn to drive back as Subaru was different from other cars. My friend flew Boeing, but he said that he could fly Airbus if necessary. I guess cars are more complicated???? They contacted the dealership, who had done the diagnosis AGAIN and found that one of the batteries was indeed faulty. It was replaced, and the car has been running great since then, and Subaru of America sent me a nice Bose bluetooth speaker!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts