Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The average last-frost date for here in Central Ohio is still two weeks away, but I could no longer wait to get some sets of pepper plants. I got a mix of varieties, but not the extremely common such as bells or jalapenos.

I know the garden store will be picked over tomorrow, so I wanted to go through there first. Now the plants are in the rain on the patio table, looking cute and leafy.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I need to get gardening- we had an odd frost here the other night.

I've got a multi-pepper hybrid that a friend of my folks managed to concoct. we call them "insanity peppers" in honor of the Simpsons.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You laugh. I know a guy who grows habaneros in Indiana, and I hope to pitch a tent and pick the field again this September.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Cool.

On a coupla occasions I have pecan smoked my own Chipotles(from red jalapenos) but I have not attempted to grow any peppers.

Maybe late in the season ,if you have some red jalas or some red serranos or something we could work a trade. Send me some peppers and I'll send - what - 1/3 back(by count - they lose a LOT of weight smoke drying!) smoked?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Do any of you gents make your own hot sauce? My wifey bought me a hot sauce making kit last year with bottles, recipes, different spices...I really enjoy spicing my food up. I do not however like anything as hot as habaneros though. Brian

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
My wife has made some sauce - very nice, I think just the freshness beats the store bought.
I'm not really a 'gringo mouth' but I also prefer flavor to pure heat. Though I understand one can increase one's tolerance to the heat and begin to appreciate more flavor in the hotter peppers. Try some serranos, very nice flavor in my opinion. Also, the jalapenos with the woody brown streaks are nice if you remove the membranes and seeds - still, even they can get hot. Just use in moderation or use them in recipes heavy on proteins/fats/oils.
Also, find a recipe for verde using tomatillos - nice smooth texture with a blast of 'greeny-fresh' tatse! The wife of a guy at work makes delicious salsa verde - maybe I can get him to write down her recipe. I'm trying (succesfully so far) to lose a little weight by avoiding sugars and carbs - wonder what beside chips I could use to snack on salsa with?

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I make a mean adobo with dried chiles. When I want flavor I make a batch with Ancho, when I want heat I use Chipotle.

I think the secret to good adobo/hot sauce/salsa is to roast everything you can before blending it togther.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I make the sauce from dried chiles as well, it's the soul of a real batch of chile - or, how to make red chile without using tomatoes.

As for making a hot sauce from fresh pods, here is my basic technique (usually done with habaneros):

Wash and inspect the pods. Cut off the stems, and try to get most of the seeds out (but don't worry about getting them all). Coarsely chop the pods and run them through a food processor to shred. You can also toss a few onions and cloves of garlic in among the peppers.

Gently sautee the pods in a heavy covered pot, so they soften to the texture of a typical cooked vegetable, then run them through the food processor again to make a puree.

For a really smooth sauce, put the puree back in the pot and bring it it a very low simmer (this can also help to get out the air bubbles that can become mixed in during the processing). This is the time to adjust the flavor with salt, herbs, etc. You'll probably want to increase the acidity with vinegar or citrus juice.

When the sauce is cooked through, kill the heat and ladle it through a seive, using the back of the ladle to press the pulp against the mesh. Discard the pulp or find another use for it. The sauce that goes through the mesh is now the texture of a typical "louisiana" hot sauce.

I usually have a hot-water bath of canning jars ready by this time, and I seal the sauce in jars for storage according to the usual home-canning methods.

I save old sauce bottles (the're called "woozies" in the trade) and when I want to give away some sauce, I open a jar and fill the bottle(s) with a funnel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bump an old thread, why not..

I recently purchased some Bhut Jolokia dried peppers (aka Ghost Peppers). Any one ever try them? They are super hot, and can reach over 1 million on the Scoville heat scale. I also grow Thai hots, and Jalapeno's. Which i dry in a dehydrator for the cold winter months.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
I have some Ghost Chili hot sauce. Nice flavor, but will light you up! I add some to a can of chili to give it some zing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My buddy brought me over some Mad Dog 357 Ghost pepper sauce. I dipped a tooth pick in it, and that stuff is hot sh*t.

I would LOVE to learn to brew some beer. I make wine from juice, so i have 90% of the equipment, I just need a big stainless pot and possibly something else. Hopefully after my new house is finished being built, Ill have room to do it. I also make this stuff called "Skeeter Pee"

Check it out. Skeeterpee -

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I've been wanting to make a lemon wine. I was thinking of doing a similar drink with sweet limes. They're a hybrid of lemons and limes so you get the flavor of both without the ph issues with yeast. You can also use aluminum for beer. The ph of beer is safe for aluminum.

And you need either a large fine mesh bag for grains or a cooler mashtun. It is an obsession though...beware....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
Seabass
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing