Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired an 01 Outback Wagon and the first thing I noticed was that just getting the hood open was a real pain. The salesman couldn't do it and finally, my wife managed to open it. Once open, all I saw was a black metal lever in the center of the grille area. Is there any other part that attaches to this metal lever to make opening the hood easier? I've also looked for other 01's to check and photos, but to no avail.

Finally, who makes the best cold air induction kits for the 2.5's?

Thanks in advance,
traintrackker

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
traintrackker said:
Just acquired an 01 Outback Wagon and the first thing I noticed was that just getting the hood open was a real pain. The salesman couldn't do it and finally, my wife managed to open it. Once open, all I saw was a black metal lever in the center of the grille area. Is there any other part that attaches to this metal lever to make opening the hood easier? I've also looked for other 01's to check and photos, but to no avail.
I never thought opening the hood was difficult by any means although the space to fit your hand to reach the lever is rather tight. You could take off the grille like a few people I know of have...

traintrackker said:
Finally, who makes the best cold air induction kits for the 2.5's?

Thanks in advance,
traintrackker
Check out Cobb Tuning, otherwise you could just do a custom job like I did with my H6. It may not be a CAI but it still works very well :) I wouldn't think it would be too hard to build an intake for a 2.5L out of some Autozone parts ;)

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Cobb Tuning for the CAI for the 2.5's. Very nice. Brian

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
bheinz57 said:
Cobb Tuning for the CAI for the 2.5's. Very nice. Brian
I can testify on how good Brian's Cobb intake is :4: :29: :blingblin

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for replies...

Heard from dealer who has ordered some sort of hood latch part...
As for the air intake, I like the Cobb unit and so I'll probably go with that item. Finally, I had the dealer check recalls for the Outback and he found one involving having the ECM, "flashed." Has anyone heard of such a problem for the '01 Outbacks?

traintrackker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts